Options

Edinburgh marathoners past and present

1273274275276277279»

Comments

• Options

Its just as well I ran London while I had the chance the qualifying time for men under 40 has come down again.  Not quite as severe as it was before but 3:05 is 5 minutes quicker than it was for this year and faster than I've ever gone in my life.  At least in years to come I can say I qualified for London I just won't mention the times were "soft" when I got in. image

http://www.run247.com/articles/article-3722-2013-vs-2014-%3A-virgin-money-london-marathon-good-for-age-(gfa)-qualifying-standards---a-comparison.html

Bizarrely everybody under 40 (blokes not unexpected) and women aged 55 and over (completely bewildering) have been hammered by the powers that be while everybody else's times stayed the same.  The women aged 55-59 have to run 15 minutes faster and women over 65 have to be 30 mins quicker than they were for this years race. Does anybody think HRT should be banned as a performance enhancing drug.  If they know what these HRT tablets are please let me know as I will be bumping some and trying them myself.  Being a pharmacist has to have some perks lol image

The organisers must have let too many runners and not enough feckwits into this years race and won't want to make the same mistake again lol image

• Options

Marathon major 5 beckons next February.  I might go and see this pair when I'm there.  I need another Disney fix.  imageimageimage

http://24.media.tumblr.com/172364f0df064e02132e679d1c24c696/tumblr_mfmx4w275q1r3wb51o1_500.jpg

• Options

Eight days to go!! Last long run this morning 10 miles. Planning a nice easy week try and store as much energy as possible

• Options

Bet you are glad you weren't up here today.  I was at easter rd for the Dundee v Hibs game just up the road and we needed a pitch inspection to get the game on.  It was absolutely chucking it down in Edinburgh and 30mph winds.  Having said that I'm normally mint in conditions like that and  would have probably ran like a dream today.

• Options

The game was nearly as sh!te as the weather incidently.  Thank god this season is finally over its been an absolute shocker from start to finish.  I can do fun things with my Saturdays from now until August. image

• Options

Wasn't much better over here on the west coast. Lucky I was out early enough to avoid the worst of it.

• Options

Good luck tomorrow grey giant and any other random lurkers that are also running either the half or full marathon image

• Options

Hi 

Finished yesterday in 4hr 58mins

A bit dissapointed with the time if I'm honest as I was aiming for around 4hrs 30min but not bad as I had to walk for 3 miles.

Had bad cramp in my hamstrings and was feeling a bit woozy at 21 miles so I decided to walk. The cramp dissapeared at about 24 miles and I started to run and was feeling as fresh as a daisy for last 2 miles. Maybe need to plan my food and water intake a bit better.

All in all it was a great day with a fantastic atmosphere. This was going to be my one and only marathon but I'm well and truly hooked and planning the next one. Loch Ness?

• Options

well done Grey Giant,

The marathon is certainly a learning experience and a painful learning experience.  On the upside at least you want to run another one.  Most folk run one and say never again.......at least for a wee while!!!!!

Don't get hung up on your time.  I go into races thinking you either hit your target or miss by 20 mins there is nothing en between. If you hold it together you will do great but if you come unstuck even if it is just for the last 5 miles like you did you will just haemorrhage time.  If the sun comes out as it did for you yesterday that time loss becomes even more severe especially after the few months we have had we never get anywhere near those kind of conditions to train in this year.

You did well though sir,  Well done. imageimageimage

• Options

Thanks Caniggia

Thought I'd wait a few days before I replied, maybe it was the low energy levels but I was feeling a bit negative last week. Now when I look back I see it as an achievement to have finished despite the difficuilties. Especially as I never took part after entering back in 2008.

Good also to know that experienced marathoner runners like yourself can have similar problems.

I'm looking at possibly doing Loch Ness in September next. Still to see about accomodation etc. If not it will be Edinburgh next year.

• Options

Just popped in to check for mail and water the plants.  Its so quiet in here these days. image

• Options

How are you?

Couldn't manage Loch Ness so I am planning on Edinburgh again next year. Have scaled back long runs for now and have been doing a bit more cycling instead.

Next race for me is Glasgow Half Marathon in October

• Options

Looks like those pesky e-mail notifications have died again.  Sorry wasn't meaning to ignore you.  Good to see you are still doing a bit and enjoying the great outdoors even if it is on the bike rather than on foot.  It should be a decent race in Glasgow this year they seem to have removed some of the industrial estates and multis and replaced them with "nice stuff" of some interest to people who come from outside of Glasgow.  It does look much better!!!!

My running hit a bit of a purple patch.  I ran one proper PB and 2 course PBs including my 3rd fastest half ever and my quickest for 3 years.  Just trying to step my training up for the Frankfurt marathon in October although I think I am pushing my luck to extend this purple patch for another 2 and a bit months lol.

Not a bad loss not making Inverness.  I have to admit to having no great desire to run it while there are so many great marathons around the world to do before it.  I'd honestly look at some of the places you can get to in Europe if you fancy doing something other than Edinburgh.  If you book early enough you could get flights to berlin/Amsterdam/Barcelona/Rome with Sleazyjet/Ryanair for not much more than it would cost for petrol to the Highlands and back, the hotels are cheaper because they don't cash in like British cities on a marathon and you would have a much more fun family weekend.  Just a thought.  If you aren't going to run a lot of marathons in your life you might as well run a few crackersimage

• Options

Here we go again! Thats me signed up for next year. Looking forward to the long winter runs at the moment

• Options

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 

*walks away smugly thinking that woke everyone up*

• Options

Jax it's ok for you to do the cleaning In here. According to some posh bird who sells house on the TV you ladies lurve a bit of cleaning and ironing as it clears yer head.

*stand by... Firing for effect 3-2-1... Firing NOW!*

• Options

Come to the dark side little marathon runners.... Come to the little world of ultra... We have sugeray snacks, pizza and hell anything your heart desires at check points.... Mind you we also have torn muscles and ligaments, massive mood swings and shite Scottish weather (unless you like winter in June). Then again Edinburgh has shite organisation so you can't have it all.....

• Options

Hi Folks (posted this as a separate discussion but thought I'd put it here too!)

My girlfriend (now fiancée) is moving up from Northamptonshire to Edinburgh in a couple weeks to live with me.  She is working from home and doesn't know anyone here, so I'm a bit worried about her being lonely and finding it hard to meet people.  

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good sociable running/fitness/crossfit club (ideally in or around the morningside/bruntsfield area) which she could join?  Ideally it would be a less serious club with a big social side to it so she can make friends etc.

She was a member of a running club down south for a few years and has 2 marathons and numerous races under her belt, but she gave it up a year ago and now just runs for fun (with the odd small race here and there) instead.  

Thanks for your help folks!

• Options

Hi GJY,

God I thought this thread had gone to the big thread in the sky a long time ago.  I'm not from Edinburgh so maybe not the best person to ask.  I'm from beanoland about 80 miles north.  I can think of a few things off the top of my head.  There is the sweatshop running community which has a shop inn Leith which isn't massively close to Morningside but open to all shapes and sizes.  No real commitment needed just turn up and run.  Pretty popular near where I stay and the Edinburgh shop seems to go out on a Tuesday night and a sunday morning.

Parkrun Edinburgh also seems pretty popular although I really don't get the point of parkrun at all if truth be told.  That starts and finishes at silverknowe (sp) and goes out and back along the river.  Edinburgh marathon festival 5k and 10k round holyrood park are not too far away.........

Of more use might be some of the groups run by jogscotland.  There are literally millions of them in Edinburgh and from a look on the map a couple of intermediate groups not too far from morningside.  She is also maybe a bit more likely to meet folk who stay locally at them.  Have a wee search on.

http://www.jogscotland.org.uk/local-groups

and see if there is anything that takes her fancy.

Hope that helps a bit. image