Options

Alternatives to running?

I am coming back from an achillies injury that has kept me from running for 6 months. Before the injury I ran marathons, half marathons and 10ks and played rugby. In the 6 months I have been unable to run I have been swimming, cross training and doing weights but yet was knackered after a steady 15 minute run yesterday. Does fitness really disappear that quickly or have I been doing something wrong?

Comments

• Options
    I think running fitness is quite specific. You have retained a good level of fitness (and well done on the motivation to keep cross-training - I have been in the same boat myself and it is HARD) and you are probably a very fit swimmer now. It will just take a little time for your body to adjust to a "new" activity.

I used to work in a gym and did a lot of personal training with clients as well as taking classes. Now I tend to concentrate on running, weights and a bit of cycling. I like to think I am pretty fit but I struggle through some classes just because I am out of practice.

Stick at it - it won't take long. But carry on with the sensible return to running. Well done!
  • Options
    Gerry, you don't mention cycling which is pretty effective at keeping you fit. Its also fine with an achilles injury as your ankle stays locked in position relative to your leg when pedalling which avoids any strain on the injury.

Cycling is also good as it builds up the inside of the quads which tend to get under developed by running and which can lead to runners knee.
  • Options
    CollyM
    I was advised by my physio not to cycle or row as it would put stress on the injury. I thought cycling would be ok but who am I to argue!? I know from previous injuries that cycling is a fair replacement but still does not prepare you for those miles on the road.
    RB
    Thanks. I am hoping that my "running" fitness will come back quickly. As you say, you train your body to do different stuff. My first rugby training session was a nightmare. I can run marathons but not sprint for 10 minutes!
  • Options
    I was out of running for just over a month and i found it very hard, i tried swimming walking etc but found nothing could replace it, god help me should i ever be out of running again
  • Options
    annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    how about aquajogging? you can get flotation belts (not cheap, about 30-40 quid) that keep you upright so you can jog in water.

Also, I have managed to get hold of a cheap cross country skiing machine and that is pretty tiring, and the movement is quite similar to running. maybe that would be worth a try in your gym?
  • Options
    I am a very new runner - but I've been trying for years! Last year, because I was getting such bad sciatica, I tried race-walking - it takes a while to get the technique - but it's much gentler on the joints and limbs - there are people achieving faster speeds than many runners into their 70s and 80's (the race I entered had people in their 70s who race-walked 32 miles with some huge hills in under 7 hours - the winner was under 5 hours). Anyway - when I gave running another try this year, no sciatica, much stronger legs and, so far, no other joint trouble. There are some sites giving info - I just put in 'race walking'