Options

Dovedale Dipper

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Daz, I've just emailed organisers. I assume there is no mandatory kit requirement as it's not mentioned on website?
  • Options
    DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    I think so long as you look like you know what you're doing, you'll be fine - so don't turn up in crocs, bermuda shorts and a string vest!
  • Options
    I'll leave the surf board behind then.
  • Options
    clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    good luck everyone, i am undescribably jealous..to make matters worse i am also working all weekend, thats the 3rd weekend in arow, which makles too many days without a day off. please whizz down a hill for me and enjoy image
  • Options

((((Clairster)))) I'll run run, walk, stagger each hill extra hard for you image

I haven't see a kit req but didn't it say somewhere you need to carry map? Think I'll just take copies with routemarked.

• Options
    I may do this if I can get it past Mrs Wombat
  • Options

do you reckon I will be able to enter on the day?

• Options
    Nip out to get the milk and get a bit lost BW?

Photocopied the bits of the map and marked up the route, looking forward to my first visit to the peak district.
  • Options
    Howdo BW, would be nice to catch up. I think the last time I saw you was in the White Peak marathon where you stormed around, not a million miles from Dovedale I believe (I haven't looked the map over yet image).
  • Options
    it's all Matlock +/- a bit, isn't it. I reckon that you would beat me now ... I'm on a go slow. Think of it as a work to rule.
  • Options
    I emailed the organisers yesterday BW and they said should be OK to enter on day as lots of spaces. They emailed me the route direction so if you want it this morning let me know.
  • Options
    thanks daymion, but Mrs Wombat says "no" image
  • Options

Lived up to its name, took in Dovedale and a few dips in and out of valleys, up hills. Bit muddy with the recent "summer" conditions. As per my typical marathon performance I started to unravel after 20m and broke the tape in 5:09 - happy enough with that. Also managed not to get lost and only one slight detour so ran a fairly accurate to description 26.4m

Didn't catch up with anyone on here, how'd it go?

• Options
    Hi DE, I must have been running with you at some point, finished in 5.03 (black helly Hansen t shirt with stripes on shoulder). I kept an eye out for the pink/green lurid vests you and Daz mentioned but didn't spot.

Bit more of a cross country marathon than the hill challenge I was expecting, but a nice morning out.

Back in S Wales enjoying a glass of red, so good day in all.
  • Options
    Hi Daymion, just realised I was running with you - more small world - didn't exchange names, but I'm Danny from Hull and we chatted for a while before last CP.
  • Options
    Ah, the little detour over the wall and the rugby league chat. I assume that's not a picture of you in the avatar then.

I'll know who to keep an eye out for next time, small world this long distance off road stuff.
  • Options

No, thats not me, though I bet a lot of people assume it is image It is quite a small world in these events, nature of the beast that most people are scared to do it and numbers are low I suppose.

Whats up next everyone?

• Options
    My short term memory is getting worse DE!

Couple of long fell races and then the snowdonia marathon for me, with the brecon beacons ultra to finish the year off.
  • Options

Sorry, that was a bit confusing. Above I meant the avatar was not me. It was me who took you on the detour and rugby chat image

Remind me how long Brecon Beacons is? Might have a look at that, if not this year then soon, part of the world I've wanted to see.

• Options

(Daz here)

Lady Slugge & I started well enough, and early doors were on course for about 7 hours, but LS's dismal lack of training started to take effect, with her knees seizing up, so we were mostly walking from about 12 Miles - she bravely soldiered on til the Castern checkpoint at 20 Miles, but was in danger of doing herself a permanent mischief so sensibly retired imageimage
    I carried on though imageimage, overtaking 8 walkers image in the last 6 Miles, and finished in 8:55 image

It was a beautiful route though, and ideal weather on the day - we both enjoyed it, and Lady Slugge is already planning a victorious return next year...

Euph - not quite sure how I missed you at registration, although I only donned my fluo-green vest just before the off - 5:09 was Good Running especially under the underfoot conditions, where water-wings and ice-skates would've come in handy at various points!
    next up for me is 3 Shires on Sept. 19th - my first Lakeland Classic fell race image

• Options
    Sounds like lady slugg did well to stick at it for 20m Daz. And a PB for you as a first 26 miler?

It's 5th December DE. Have a look on the likeys website, all the details on there. They are running a seminar on multi stage events on the Sunday morning (the seem to supply most of the kit for MDS type events) so should be interesting
  • Options

Daz - Well done on the new mileage benchmark. Under the conditions Mrs Slug did very well to get to twenty. Also the posting as lady slug, is that allowed I thought that might be the forum equivelent of getting dressed up in the missus dresses when shes out for the night image Good luck with the lakeland classic, no doubt the hills will be real monsters!

Daymion - I'll look it up. If all goes to plan I should have got my first multistager in bag by then, 3 marathons in 3 days for the Atlantic Coast Challenge, down in Cornwall in September. I think same group - Votwo - do a similar 3 in 3 challenge in Pembrokeshire which also looks a good challenge.

Did anybody see winning time??? 3:33, yikes image I don't recall seeing any specially designed running robots there, must have been cleverly disguised.

• Options

yep, mileage and time-on-feet benchmark image

so that's a sub-9 marathon to my name! image

sub-8 next time... imageimage