Options

Running to Work

People out there who run to work please tell me how. i get up in the morning and have tried twice. But 2-3 miles in I have had to stop as very dehydrated. Next I tried drinking water before I went to bed and this just left me getting up all night going to the loo. So how do people out there do it.

My run to work would be about 6 miles which is what I easly run in the evenings.

James

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    James, to stay hydrated you really need to drink regularly over days. Then your body shouldn't react with waking you up at night. You could try carrying a drink with you and sipping it every few mins on your run to work.

Good luck!
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Is it running to work or just running in the morning that causes problems? Do you normally drink when you run?

My Mr. was never inclined to drink while running, until he dried out a bit in a marathon. I think it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it. (He's better at it now.)

Agree with Hilly on drinking during the day before as well, not just at night. Easier in some works than in others.
  • Options
    try drinking about an hour or so before you leave. that's if you have to time.
  • Options
    Don't run too fast. The morning run is an easy run for recovery / mileage. Try not to push yourself. Personally I can run fine on a morning after having had breakfast 30 mins before, but if I eat within 5 hours of an evening run I suffer badly.
  • Options
    do you drink alcohol in the evenings. I find I get very dehydrated in the mornings if i have had a couple (or more) of glasses of wine the night before. It isn't so bad if I have one large glass of water between each glass of wine. Also you could try drinking plenty of water during the evening but stop drinking 1 hour before bed then you shouldn't be plagued by getting up in the night.
  • Options
    I run between 6 and 10 miles to work in the mornings without any trouble. Ever since I started running about 4 1/2 years ago I have done most of my running first thing. I would imagine that it is something that you will get used to if you give it time. Unlike Barnsley I have to pack my training into the morning run and so done some hard sessions first thing. Given that most races are in the mornings I always assumed that was when most people trained. Keep at it and best of luck.

TR.
  • Options
    Set your alarm for an hour before your run - dash to the kitchen and sink a pint of water, then go back to bed! If you need to eat, a fruit smoothie works well for me as it is that great mix of liquid and solid and is quite easy on the stomach.

This routine worked for me in my FLM training and I've kept it up for my morning commute. Of course, if it is warm, then bring water with you, if only as a 'safety blanket'.