Options

"Easy" runs

Comments

• Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭

Zanzinger, is you dad also bigger than my dad?

Grow up, in in the process, gets some manners, you wouldn't say "you know nothing" to my face, so please don't do it here.

• Options
    Can I ask what's the difference between a slow run and an easy run?
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    check definition of the the word "Seems", it is different to the work "is", thus opening debate.
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    WG, good question, please don't ask me though!image
  • Options
    Marty B wrote (see)
    Sprint for the line, we are all qualified to discuss our experiences aren't we? Surely that is is the point of such a forum? otherwise just learn it all from a  book!

I'm not here to have a fight, so I'll accept your point, of course you can discuss your experience.

But if you are offering an opinion that may infuence someone's descision, surely it is wise to have some logic to back up that opinion, more than , and I quote  'I reckon they're a waste of time'

• Options

LOL WG are you intentionally winding them up hee hee he image

Danowat pass us that popcorn

• Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Sprint for the line, fair point, but I was really questioning the logic of such runs with the original poster, but I did follow it up with my own experience. I didn't tell anyone anything, we come here for opinions. There are many facts in books, I tend not to post facts, more my own findings, I advocate flexlibility, I do not tell anyone they must do this or that. Running training and how is benefits each individual is subjective, that is why i post my findings. My running results are far better than expected after a couple of years of running.
  • Options

Er... riiiight, thanks everyone, I didn't mean to start WW3 image

Easy run D&D, 5k, and it was quite pleasant akcherloi.

Just to clarify, my OP intended to convey not "What's this easy run bollocks, sounds like it'/s for pussies not serious runners like me, I don't think I'll be arsed", but rather "Can  someone who knows more about this running lark than I do please explain the importance of easy runs in training?"

• Options

Sophie don't feel bad hon, I don't think anyone misinterpreted your Q, things just get a little heated sometimes.

• Options

excuse me Sophie

Zanzinger - I find your directness quite refreshing. You seem enjoy a very robust discussion about training but I have noticed you prefer to debate with people you consider less knowledgable than yourself. Why is it that you don't post on, for example, the sub-3 thread in VLM?

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I don't suppose you expected this sort of reaction, Sophie image

Never mind, it happens sometimes. Just ignore the testosterone!

• Options
    bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭

Marty B - you need to update your profile, as it's well out of date, says you're a beginner and never raced.

Sophie - as already said, by other well experienced runners on here, the schedules have been drawn up by those with years of experience, and tweak them slightly if needs be. I'm on an easy week of mine at the moment, and it's there for a reason. Just get settled in a comfy chair with some popcorn also, and enjoy this.

• Options
    sheddysheddy ✭✭✭
    Mr Puffy wrote (see)

This is quite funny, as I had a very similar argument with a person very like zanziger on a similar subject!

I'd wager a fair amount of money it was ZZ in a previous guise.
  • Options
    Fancy some popcorn anyone ?
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭

BS, didn't realise, how 2 years flies by!

Sheddy, I think I have suddenly realised who that person is / was!

• Options
    bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    Hope you two haven't packed in? - just sat down with battenberg & coffee. Very disappointed. Back to work then.
  • Options

Funny how an innocent question like that sometimes erupts, doesn't it? Don't worry Sophie - you didn't start it.

Zan - have you ever been on a thread that doesn't turn controversial?image Maybe you could explain the ins and outs of training without abusing the other posters? Of course, it wouldn't be so much fun and we'd all have to put the popcorn and biscuits away but I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of it...image

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Oh!  Battenberg.  How I love battenburg image

I feel a trip to Tescos coming on...... image

• Options
    Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Got some choc mini rolls Wilkie...will that do? image

• Options
    bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭

It's one (or should I say was) one of those mini ones, as they didn't have the whole cake at local Co-op. No such problem at Tesco I'm sure. Hard to stop at one though. Yum.

Just a thought, now I've had my sugar fix, why don't they offer option for training programmes in kilometres, not just miles. Causes my brain havoc each week as I have to get calculator out and convert this. And no, I haven't got a garmin or anything else.

• Options
    I always work in kms. You can tick them off quicker. And you can do more, faster. Much more satisfying.image
  • Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭

Sorry for those getting the popcorn ready!

I do try and post stuff about running (with my limited knowledge) and don't really expect a torrent of abuse about how little I know. I question theories and maybe postulate my own from time to time, the science of running is not an exact one, irrespective of whatever ZZ (or whatever he currently calls himself) says. Our bodies respond to training differently, the best advice I would give to a new runner would be to not overdo it (I got shin splints by doing this), too much to soon may well end someones passion for running. So from this point of view if you are going to skip a run, surely the slower ones are the ones are best choice? I also think that walking can be used as a form of recovery from a harder run, it helps keep the muscles active and looses then up a bit.

But for someone to brag about his training pace being faster than my race pace just takes away the fun of running for me. I am a relatively new runner and merely question the merits or a so called "easy run", not a recovery run or "lower intenisty" run. Maybe the problem was in the use of the word easy, I don't think anything about running should be easy apart from sitting on my jacksy after a run! Maybe easier would be smore suitable?

Now put that popcorn away people and maybe go for a run (not an easy one though)image