Options

How stupid are you?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Coops10 wrote (see)
    I once ran 5 miles in 19 minutes with a stress facture....................

Damn, you should have carried on, that was faster than world record pace!

• Options

I often come across my own sheep when out training on the fells.

On one occasion I called out "Hello my lovelies" (as you do) on seeing a ewe and lamb, only to raise my eyes and see a pair of bearded hikers in front of me on the path.

They gave me a wide berth.....

• Options

Went for a run by the Thames near Windsor.  Towpath very wet, big puddles in places.  Had decided I wanted to run a particular distance, so kept on going despite the puddles getting deeper and wider.  Eventually realised  that there was no difference between the puddle I was in and the River Thames.  The river has come over the bank.  Now couldn't see the path back and didnt want to risk stepping into a flooded river.  Had to keep going to Maidenhead and come back via the road.  Ran three times further than I wanted to in sopping wet trainers and socks.

How I laughed.

• Options
    Very quiet Sunday morning on the 400m track to do some yasso training. Left my mobile by the side of the track. Couple of youths cycle-up, grab the phone and disappear. Bless them!
  • Options

I did a very stupid thing..... today in fact - I failed to pull a sicky and missed out on a lovely sunny day

when I could be out on my bike enjoying all that nature has to offer instead of sitting at my desk making other people wealthy image

Now thats stupid for you

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Attempting a sprint finish 11.5 laps into a 5,000m race is pretty stupid.

As I crossed the line and heard the bell go, I knew the last lap would be a bit of a struggle!  image

• Options

Going for a run when there was thick ice on the ground - decided to head into the woods, 'for safety' as the  roads were too skitey.

In the woods, I stepped on a tree root covered in leaves and broke my ankle... no mobile, had to hobble 2 miles home on said icey road image

• Options

1- Dropped a frozen chicken breast on my foot.

2- Wore a thong under my lycra shorts for a half marathon.

3- Fell over a rabbit in the woods.

...The list goes on. 

• Options

I was out running round a local resevoir and came to a section that is always boggy and has like a little diversion path sort of round it. There was a family making their way slowly round and nattering and with no space for me to run through I decided (as I was on for a PB) to go through the boggy section, how bad could it be right?

Both feet over the brim in stinking black mud (I wear gore tex trail shoes) and spent the rest of the run squelching along with mud all up my back and legs, with nothing at all to clean it off and no spare shoes for the drive home image Lets just say it's lucky I have leather seats in my car.... won't do that again

• Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

A friend of mine, now sadly passed away, used to have a speed session from outside his house. He used to run out 3 miles and come back fast.

He moved house to about six miles down the road, but like the session so much he used to drive to his old house, do the session and go home.

One day when he got back to his car he looked in the small pocket in his shorts - no car keys. So he looked behind the bush where he had his pre-run pee. No keys. So he ran back to the turn around point and looked in the bush where he had had a pee before coming back. No Keys.

So he ran back to the car. Total distance now 12 miles. Then he decided run home and get the spare keys. Distance now 18 miles.

While his wife was searching for the spare keys he went for a dump. As he pulled down his shorts the keys dropped out of the crutch. So he finished his buisness then ran back to the car.

Total now 24 miles.

Pretty good workout for a 6 mile training run.

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Ha ha ha maks friend.

I was running past a building site with my dog, a big drill or something spooked the dog and she run round me getting me tangled up in the lead.  I fell flat on my face in front of a load of builders image.  Hobbled home with a gaping hole in my knee and torn calf muscle.  Still got the scar.

Also entered a 1/2 marathon when my baby was 3 months old and I was feeding her myself.  Thought I'd got to the race with plenty of time to feed baby etc but i'd got the time wrong and it was due to start in 15 mins.  Rushed into the nearest loo and had to feed baby there and then as quickly as possible before giving her to a mate while I rushed to the start.  She hadn't really had a full feed up and I finished the race with milk leaking from my boobs like daisy the cow and them hurting like hell - no sports bra can cope with that!

• Options
    Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Very funny thread this

I tend to do stupid things when I'm trying to appear cool. The other day I was running past a small parade of shops so wanted to check out my running form surreptiously in the shop window  to make sure I was still running smoothly, sleekly and swiftly like a gazelle image (as there were some hunky workmen just a few yards away). Anyway, so bowled over was I by my gazelle-like running form that I didn't see the concrete plant stand ahead of me and ended up splat in very un-gazelle like fashion.image.

The other stupid thing I did a few weeks ago was the night before my long run. I ate a whole big box of Liquorice Allsorts............ I don't think I need to explain what 'problems' I had the next morining during the run imageimageimage

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I love this thread image

I was warming up before a Race for Life event in May and decided to demonstrate butt flicks to my supporters (alright, my Mum image). The ground was used for grazing animals and I put my foot down into a hole and twisted my ankle. I ran on it anyway (adrenaline is a wonderful thing) but suffered for it afterwards.

My mum found it very amusing though image image

• Options
    SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Ouch, i bet that hurt

My friend turned her ankle about 1k into her first ever 10k race but carried on and finished.  Not quite sure what she did but she ended up with her foot in plaster for 6 weeks and has never run again

• Options
    AdnadAdnad ✭✭✭

Once tried to sneak past a herd of cows in a field. Was unsuccessful and ended up turning around and fleeing when they started to chase me.

Also, one hour is never ever enough time to allow a full roast dinner to digest before a long run.

• Options
    Old Timer wrote (see)
    I got married  image
    That's exactly what I was going to say...  The best thing I've ever done is divorce the bi**h... image

As for having an ice bath being stupid, I disagree - I have one after every LSR and after every race - they're greeeeeeeeat!
  • Options
    Speaking of injuries... I pulled something in my knee about a week before my first 5k. I rested it and not wanting to pull out of the run, I dosed up on nurofen an hour before the start. The course was "undulating" to say the least, but I got round with no problems in a time I was happy with. Walked around the petting farm with the kids after, then drove home feeling fine. I had to stop at the supermarket on the way home and when i got out of the car, I nearly collapsed in an ungainly heap. The painkillers had worn off and the run had done nothing to help my knee. I could hardly walk! Turned out I had strained a ligament and it took a few weeks to settle down. I didn't learn though. Tried running through ITB and that didn't get better either. image
  • Options
    angelic - your alias isn't devoted2distance is it? image
  • Options
    Went for a long run after using a semi permanent to colour my hair very dark brown.

I ended up with most of the dye all the way down the back of my white t-shirt.

• Options
    Adnad wrote (see)

Once tried to sneak past a herd of cows in a field. Was unsuccessful and ended up turning around and fleeing when they started to chase me.

Also, one hour is never ever enough time to allow a full roast dinner to digest before a long run.

I also get chased by cows, it's happened a few times now. I've come to the conclusion that it's best to walk past rather then running and then start again when I'm safely out of range. Funny they don't bother me at all when I'm out walking but they can be quite scary when I'm out running and they all come storming toward me
  • Options
    Winking Giraffe wrote (see)
    LOL image
  • Options
    Winking Giraffe wrote (see)
    I don't think so but I'm worried about a possible stress fracture in my shin. I upped my milage last week from 15 to 55 and now it hurts quite alot. But I'm sure I'll get a PB doing that half on Saturday. image
  • Options

Doing two hill sessions on consecutive days.

Then 5 days off due to hurting my ankle !

That was very stupid indeed...