Options

Gran Canaria marathon 2010

2»

Comments

• Options

Hi,

The results of the race are  published from the day of the race, on the http://www.grancanariamaraton.com/ page, however only in its Spanish version. So just click on the "Espanol" tab en then choose the "Resultados". All data, including the chip times for each 5k and total chip time is there.  

I am a local runner, was my first full marathon. Did 3:45, still celebrating it image

Red Panda - was it you the girl in union jack shorts?  Seen you there. There are loads of fotos and videos published, I found me on 15 pics from 5 different sources, so evryone should be able to find a photo of him. Here are some links:

I am glad most people liked the race a lot - it is first time the organisation was allowed to block the town for 6 hours to organize a marathon. For years they were doing a half, Using the same route. The main organizer is the "Cabildo" (the goverment on level of island), and the money they used were likely these for tourism promotion, thats how they could be so generous. So, please all, come again, stay for holidays, bring families, so we can enjoy this run for coming years image

- finish line videos, complete

http://www.corriendovoy.com/indexdp.php 

Huge album of almost all runners: (redpanda, you are there)

http://picasaweb.google.es/agartiles/100124IMaratonLasPalmasDeGranCanaria?feat=email#

four albums, also huge:

http://www.bichillorunner.com/

Yet another huge album:

http://picasaweb.google.es/mrobaina30/MaratonMedioMaratonGranCanaria2010#

And one more huge album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pablopedror/Maraton?authkey=Gv1sRgCLyesa-76pitcw#

More and more pics:

http://www.caigc.org/?page_id=1896

http://www.arucasdigital.com/maratongc1.htm

http://picasaweb.google.com/AntRdguez/IMaratonDeGranCanaria?feat=email#    http://picasaweb.google.com/atletismocarucat2/GRANCANARIAMARATON2010#

• Options

hi folks!

Thanks for the info on the photo's and video's.  I certainly stand out with those shorts, you can see me coming, that is for sure! Certainly feel free ATM to post anything you want on the Paris thread.  There were quite a few runners doing the half, maybe 1000 (pure guess)....quite afew doing the fun run too.  I would really recommend this marathon.  It would be great for getting a PB, though if the weather were red hot it may not be ideal.  It was a damn sight  cooler than Berlin at any rate.

Finn, I am not sure I had a plan for this race, I just wanted to get round.  I set off and felt great, full of energy.  However, by 15k I realised that I had probably set off too fast, and could not keep the pace up, so I had to pull back a bit.  I could see my pace slipping all the time, but somehow managed to keep it up to a respectable level.  It was tough though, I was hanging on for dear life by the end, and felt knackered.   In all 3 marathons so far, I have needed a wee from about 5 miles in, and this was no exception! However, I would not stop.  I was so tempted to walk on numerous occasions, and had to fight the urge so badly. It took every ounce of physical and mental strength to get round.

Just checked the results and it was 4.18.55, so very pleased.  Only 2 mins slower than Berlin, and loads less training.   Fizz...when is the Seville marathon again?  How is the training?

• Options
    Redpanda - your pacing was far better than mine - I could see you a bit behind me on all the switchback sections then you shot past me at about 38k and beat me by 4 minutes (4.23.58) - I was the one in the purple vest.  I think it was your OH who was taking photos and cheering me on at various points?
  • Options

Oh, hi..does your name begin with "H"?!  If so....Yes, that was hubby!  He mentioned you to me, but I must admit I don't remember seeing you, though to be honest I don't remember seeing many people, I felt totally spaced out.

Believe me, I was KNACKERED.  How did you find it?  It was funny being one of the few Brits there eh?!

• Options

yes, that was me

I loved it, but I'm used to the lack of brits, my parents live out there and I run some of the smaller races throughout the year when I'm out there, when I really am the only non local to turn up!   In the half last year I think I only found one other brit, so at least the numbers are increasing slowly.  (and the organisation/atmosphere this year was soooooooooo much better than the half last year)

definitely doing it again next year - the timing works really well for me.  I used to go out there everychristmas, but since my sister had a baby my parents come over here to see him which means that I now go out in January instead, so it may well become a regular thing for me.

• Options

Lucky you having parents over there! Where do they live?  The weather was rubbish for the whole week in Las Palmas, but we spoke to people on the return flight who said that the weather was good, and they looked tanned...think it may have a slightly different climate in Las Palmas?

I could not believe how many people I saw running over there....I was suprised how small the field was, given that.   I thought it was really really well organised...I would defo recommend to anyone.  I would have no problem doing it again, though I doubt I would stay for as long next time.

• Options

Red Panda: The trick with weather is that as the island is quite a high cone in the way of trade winds, the result is clouds where the wind goes uphill (normally, north, Las Palmas) and clear skys where the wind goes downhill (South, Playa del Ingles, Maspalomas...) Guess why almost all turists stay on the south of the island, even if it is only 50k away. Next time you come, stay at south and take a bus or rent a car to get to the race (it is only 30 mins of driving). Las Palmas is the cloudy, rainier part of the island where the people actually work image There is plenty of other races here too including marathons, however most of them on hilly trails - there is few flat plases on Gran Canaria. Check www.carucat.org for races callendar (spanish only, unfortunatelly, but links to race webpages that can be in english too) Wery few women do races here,specially in veteran (35+) categories you frequently get a trophy just because of finishing image

Best regards, Roman

• Options

Now he tells meimage!!!

Will certainly bear that in mind.  I have been to Playa and Puerto, and to be honest I hated them both.  I would still rather be in Las Palmas away from the Union Jacks (ok, I know I have the shorts!) and rubbing shoulders with the locals than with the lager louts!  Sorry to offend any fans of mentioned places!!!....just my opinion.

• Options
    mmmmm..i spent the 2nd part of my visit down in playa de inglis and enjoyed my 3 days there...like i said before i spent 2 days up in los palmas and got the "globus" down to playa sunday afternoon and enjoyed the warmer weather and sunshine,great to be in the warmest place in europe for my visit,this time of year its not full of lager louts..more blue rinse brigade !!
  • Options
    I hate Playa and Puerto R too.We have apartment in Arguinegin,which is just before Puerto and is very nice little town with ,allegedly, best climate in the world,or at least in GC.After the race we went back there and was beautiful sunny day and 26C.
  • Options

Well, the nice thing about Playa del Ingles is that if we islanders feel like spending a night in middle of Union Jacks, we can get there in 30 minutes of driving image Also, if you move in daytime, you are unlikely to meet much lager louts, as they are still in their rooms with a hangover from previous night . But I agree that if you actually want to see Spain, you should stay in Las Plamas. Going to the South feels really like leaving Spain for us, too.

Also, fortunatlely, the "South" is qite a large place, with a lot of different valleys, with variety of styles and conditions. You can actually find nice, peaceful places there, too.

• Options

Fair point guy's...It's not all bad, just my overriding memory was of "English Breakfasts" and cheap beer etc, but it's probably not that bad everywhere.  Infact I know the place you mention Tanas, as we have stayed at Anfi before, and it's just near there, right?

Puerto Morgan was nice too, as I remember......Looking at the snow outside this morning I would swap places and be back in Gran Canaria right nowimage!

• Options
    Hi RP,we don't have snow here but it is cold.Working this morning but my mind is still running along Las Canteras.Rather running marathon every week then working .Really miss GC ,sun and sea but unfortunately cant go back till next January.
  • Options
    Hi Tanas...it's depressing, the Winter isn't it?  I agree, I would rather be having a glass of wine on Las Canteras...even if it was overcast and windy!...I can't motivate myself to run in this weather...have ran twice since the marathonimage.
  • Options

RP , do you have your garmin details of the mile splits for the marathon? WOuld be very interested to know , if it was possible to see them.

I still dont have the foggiest what to try to run at. have run almost nil this week and fear that I will be in for another 4.20 again. Dont think I could take a fourth in a row. Have to get something that starts with 4:1?image

• Options

Hi Fizz

I have indeed got my splits, but I am at work, and I will need to go home and get them off the PC there, I will do that later and post them.  You might surprise yourself with your time.  It will be nice and quiet, and you might get into your pace a lot better!  More is not always moreimage!  When is it again??

• Options

Hi Fizz...am at home, so while I remember...here are my splits from the Garmin....there were 2 short but sharp hills (not very long, but we had to do them twice, so 4 hills in total)..

1) 9:34  2)9:39  3) 9:29  4) 9:36  5) 9.33  6) 9:40  7) 9:30  8) 9:34  9) 9:38  10) 9:28  11) 9:44  12) 9:47  13) 10  14) 9:50  15) 10  16) 9:48  17) 9:57  18) 10:04  19) 9:57 20) 9:35  21) 9:37  22) 9:57  23) 9:35  24) 9:54  25) 9:43  26) 9:29.

I think I set off a bit to fast to be honest.  I felt surprisingly good for the first 6 miles or so, then shocked myself by feeling fairly tired by half way.  I started to panic a bit and decided I had no choice but to slow it down, in order to be sure of finishing.  I managed to push back a bit nearer the end, by which time I knew I would make it, but miles 14 to 24 were pretty unpleasant.   I didn't really have a plan, but I would say, whatever you do, do NOT set off to fast, it will make it a horrid experience.  I thought I wasn't going to finish at one point, and it's not like London where you have thousands of people supporting you!  I would be really interested to know how you get on, and the very best of luck!!

xx