Options

traffic lights

2»

Comments

• Options
    What a great thread, I'm paranoid that those seconds spent waiting to cross the road or level crossing somehow devalue my long runs by effectively breaking them up into four or five shorter runs. I'm glad other people have the same problems, i'm not too precious to jog on the spot, if I've not got my head in my hands against the railings waiting for the green man then I've not been going hard enough IMO.
  • Options

I run early in the morning CD so I dont worry or obey traffic lights image

There's hardly ever any traffic on the road except the milkman, and early shift starters.

• Options

Whilst the time aspect bothers me a little, (I'm a Garmin time slave) I tend to look ahead and guage the traffic, if its looks like I can make it by putting a burst of speed in I will do that. (Fartlek for the suicidal??), or slow it down a fraction and shimmey in between the cars. Having read that, I think I need to change my ways.

If I dont post on this forum for 2 days running, its safe to save my judgement wasnt very good.

• Options
    bikermouse wrote (see)
    Actually Elvis is alive and is friends with Barry the Time Sprout.

Nah, Elvis is working in  a chip shop in Rochdale - I kid you not.

Back on topic, why would make yourself look stupid by running on the spot?  Whenever I come across traffic lights that are against me as it were, I just stop and wait until it's clear to cross.  I have my Garmin set to auto pause so I don't have to bother with stopping a watch so stopping gives me a nice little, legitimate breather.

• Options
    I'm with Kaysdee, if its just a little run then I'll stop and wait but if i'm towards the back end of a long run then I'll either jog on the spot or run up & down the street a bit cos I know if I stop then there is no way on earth I am starting again.
  • Options
    crazydiamond wrote (see)
    Artie Fufkin, Polymer Records wrote (see)
    Flashing green man - sprint like hell

I'd sprint like hell if I saw a green man flashing while I was out running, certainly image
  • Options

Have you been up to Stamner Park? and along the seafront is always good - if you can dodge the people!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Time to kill at traffic lights?  Star jumps or burpees work best, whilst grinning and nodding at people who walk past.
  • Options

I just know I'll regret asking but what sort of exercise are "burpees"???

I only have a few roads to cross, and most of them I can run on a bit further and cross once the car has passed. If I can't cross, I do sort of bob about a bit on the principle of not stopping if at all possible.

• Options

How about when you wait at traffic lights. Do 50 press ups, 50 sit ups. You will impress everyone with your physique.

When I cross roads, I look at the lights and try and get across pdq.
    Sometimes I cross roads when the car is coming. The horror of the driver when I`m inches away from their precious car. (To others, please don`t follow this.)

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Helen - burpees

Squat-thrust and a jump. Great fun! image

• Options

PhilPub, you got the wrong video. Try `Fitness - Boot Camp Workout: Burpee`s Exercise`
    Much more fun.

• Options
    I've always wondered why they're called burpees - they don't make me burp, they make me pull faces usually.  I'll probably be doing some tonight at my military fitness class.  Lovely. image
  • Options
    Jesus christ, there`s six Boot Camp Workouts. Might learn something from this girl. image
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    *ahem*  As it happens I've been meaning to incorporate some more exercise drills into my overall training programme so I'll be, er, giving these videos the once-over in a bit more detail when I get home.  *cough*
  • Options

umm, thanks, but no thanks. I'd probably cause an accident! You have to be careful with this amount of lard bouncing around....

edit: and that's another thread that's gone off on a completely different tangent!

• Options
    I jig around a bit looking annoyed about having to wait, but I'm actually glad of the rest imageimage