Options

Longer strides or quicker steps?

Which is best for 1. Improving speed and 2. Easier on the knees?

Either lengthening the stride or doing shorter quicker strides?

Comments

• Options
    I don't know the answer but I'd like to know

BOING
  • Options
    If you alter your running technique to lengthen your stride then you will over-reach in front, and the leg will act as a brake against your forward momentum. So this is counter-productive.

If you do the usual speed work, tempo runs etc to improve speed, these will lengthen stride, but this comes without conscious adjustment of technique.

There are drills you can do to quicken your stride rate which should speed you up and may make you lighter on the knees. I think there's an article in Peak Performance on line, I'll have a look.
  • Options
    What are tempo runs?
  • Options
    CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    tempo runs are running as fast as you can for about 30-40 minutes, typically (for me at least) at around 90-95% of maximum heart rate.

To run faster you should take more strides, this is known as increasing your cadence (number of steps per minute). Fast runners tend to have a cadence of more than 90 steps per minute.

I also recond that lonjger strides = bounding along which must be tougher on the knees. So shorter strides is best all round.

If you want to know more check out the "Lore of Running", by Noakes its only 19 sovs and covers all of this and loads more..
  • Options
    A tempo run is simply an extended period of running (after a warm up) at near race pace. They are very useful once you've got a good base of endurance and have started doing speed work. There should be some RW articles on the training page.

Sorry, can't find a specific article on Peak Performance, but several make reference to the importance of stride rate over length. See:

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/running.htm

Personally, I just do the speed work without worrying about technique. Do you have access to a coach who can advise on technique?