Options

Why are races always on a Sunday?

I'm sure this is a stupid question - but why do 95% races take place on a Sunday?

I'm assuming it's because councils would generally not agree to road closures on a Saturday. But even smaller races that don't have road closures are nearly always on a Sunday.

I always find this a real pain becuase I rely on public transport and they never start early enough to get you there in time for the start.

Comments

• Options

Maybe because for a lot of population Sunday is their only "free" day?

I have done races in the week, but they've always been evening ones, never seen, or done one on a Saturday though.

• Options
    And I think the roads are generally a lot quieter on a sunday.  I sympathise with your problem - perhaps this board could start a lift/share scheme!!
  • Options

I did the Hilton Illuminations 10k last Saturday, and I've done an evening run or two during the week.

There are still a lot of events on weekdays a this time of year - use the Events tab and have a search.

• Options
    there are a few on a saturday including our local 5k park runs........a few of our runing club races are in the week...but I suppose more people are off on a sunday then any other day
  • Options
    A fair amount of businesses work Saturdays.

Sunday opening has really only been around for the last 10 + years - and its still the best day for less traffic on the roads.

Join a running club and then you'll be able to share lifts ?
  • Options
    It is in the Bible. Genesis 3:12, "And the Lord took Sunday to run a Marathon against thee Eternal Enemy the  snake, and the Lord won the just race".
  • Options

Most club races like xc leagues and track leagues are on Saturdays although the Icknield league was on Sundays last time I did it. Even the road relays. Saturdays are much better cos that leaves you Sunday free to get your long run in. And transport is much better on Saturdays too. I don't have a car and often have to walk to Sunday races.

For mass participation road races though Sunday is the only option because of disruption to other road users.

• Options

Luck in the same boat and it's a right pain in the back side. folks off here and fetch as usally quite happy to help if they can and in your rough area. I've had help loads of times more than I deserve. image

• Options

Luke - over the summer there are lots of evening events - including mass-participation 5k and 10k road race series'.......where do you live?

Also, if you live near any of the 'Park-Run' venues that gives you the opportunity to race (for free) every single saturday.

If Sundays are a write-off for you it does considerably cut down your options - but there are still plenty of opportunities if you look around.