Options

why can't I do it ?

Last year I ran Swinton half marathon in 2.05 (I'm only a plodder) also last year I ran a number of 10k's between 54 and 58 mins - this year I'm useless !!! think I've walked more than I've run. Trouble is I seem to go a very pale shade of yellow then just literally run out of breath !! had blood checks and changed my diet but to no avail - am doing novice triahtlon event next week had a practise and was useless at the 1 mile that's 1 mile run (on grass) what; going on ? why can't I do it ? am all set to do the cheaper manchester 10k and want to get a good time (for me anyway) heeeelp ?

Comments

• Options
    dunno sue!

but enjoy your tri.. take it easy
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    chill sue it'll be fine. I'm a firm believer in the Fashunu approach to sporting excellence called FSCCO. It stands for:

Focus
    Stay Calm
    Come on!

Try and integrate this into your training and I think you'll kick bottom.

Maybe you just need to stuff yourself with more carbs and do more regualr shorter distances (maybe twice a day) and get the leggies used to working out!
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Are you literally yellow? If so, which blood checks did you have done? Having had experience of hep A, yes it would do for your running. I will admit, when I had it, that even lifting my hands high enough to brush my hair was too much.

Of course, I'm stink jealous of a 2:05 half - twenty minutes faster than my last effort. If you've had a rough time since then, it may be that for starters you'll have to redefine slow. Just for starters. I don't think it pays any dividends to try and continue when your breath runs out.

I believe in walk run (deliberately walking a minute in every 5 minutes, say). It means I can run faster during the running bit, and yet keep going.

Good luck, but check liver if you (eyes esp) are at all yellow.
  • Options
    STICKLESS

HAVE HAD FULL BLOOD SCREEN NO HEP OR ANY OTHER LIVER RELATED PROBS JUST VITAMIN B12 DEFFICIENCY WHICH I'VE HAD FOR YEARS - INJECTIONS EVERY 3 MONTHS. I DON'T MIND LOOKING A LITTLE STRANGE BUT I REALLY AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT MY LUNGS GIVING IN WHEN I'VE STILL GOT MILES TO GO - WHAT CAN I DO TO INCREASE THEIR CAPACITY ? ALREADY TRAIN APPROX 4 TIMES PER WEEK INCORPORATING RUNNING CYCLING SPINNING WEIGHTS CIRCUIT TRAINING. MAYBE I'M JUST PARANOID.IT REALLY IS A MIND THING......NEED RIGHT FRAME AND STOP PANICKING.WAFFLE WAFFLE WAFFLE
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    How about checking out the powerlung devices. I may be wrong but I think there are three in the range - one for people with asthma/breathing difficulties, standard and the advanced.

Cost about £40-50 I think. I'd check with GP first though.
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner