Options

a question for good runners...

2»

Comments

• Options

I have to agree with Cheerful Dave - I am a very slow runner (we're talking 13 min miles at my reddest!)  and have only entered 2 races (and that was a couple of years back).  On the second race, I was plodding along and some bloke ran past me, slowed down and started cheering me on, "well done luv, doing well, keep at it".  Although I did find it supportive and I enjoyed the fact I was singled out from the others who were running full plelt and then walking for a bit (it was only a 5K), I also worried about the fact that I WAS singled out!!!   Was it that obvious I was struggling?  That I was finding it very tough and needed that extra encouragement!!!!

On a similar note, I was supporting my husband at a 10k a few years back and we stayed around to watch and cheer the back of the field coming in, because practically everyone else had gone.  I was amazed and disappointed that the organisers were actually packing up and taking down the scafolding of the timer as the last few came in (about 1 hour 20 mins).   I would have been gutted to have struggled round and found they couldn't be bothered to wait for the last runners before shutting up shop.  In fact, it's put me off doing another race until my times do improve.  Wouldn't want to be embarrassed!!!!!

• Options

"Good for you" I think every time. You don't know what motivates any runner fast or slow. You might ponder if there is a charity vest or other obvious clue such as obvious overweight.

People run for all reasons and count yourself fortunate if you do run just for the fun of it.

I recall some years ago an elite marathoner who on thinking of the 4 and 5 hour runners admitting that they were stronger and probably had better endurance than himself - he couldn't possibly run for for that length of time that is why he he finished in the 2 hour plus category!! 

• Options

It was Paul Tergat who said that Martenkay, after he broke the world record in Berlin.

Lap KK?  You'll need to train harder to do that image.

• Options

"Surely when you race - you are running at your limits."

Gymaddict - it's a while back, so my memory may not be entirely reliable, but I am sure that I read that some research had been done that showed that elite athletes actually push their bodies to much closer to their physiological limits than mere mortals like me.

• Options

When I've overtaken backmarkers, I often consider giving support by saying something but also don't want to sound like I'm rubbing it in.

That's the problem with being English, we think about these things too much.

• Options
    well when i do my 1st race i hope everyone is nice as they whizz past me!
  • Options
    That's going to depend if you've got headphones in Runnyyolk! image
  • Options
    Ha cant afford anything as fancy as that!! image just have to listen to my heart beat whumpin away!
  • Options

KK
    Yes, running quick probably does hurt as much as running slowly - but not for as long!

ZZ
    I'll be mighty impressed if you lap KK, she's getting a bit quick these days...

• Options
    Exciled Claret said

"but I am sure that I read that some research had been done that showed that elite athletes actually push their bodies to much closer to their physiological limits than mere mortals like me."

That would be the 'pain in training' i mentioned. I race at my limit for the distance. I finish with NOTHING left usually. Elite athletes are the same - They may well race a marathon at what for me would be half marathon pain - because it takes them that sort of time to do a marathon. (okay so i'm not THAT slow but hopefully you know what i mean)