Options

Yorkshireman Off Road Marathon

Comments

• Options

There's a recce run of the first half of the full marathon on Saturday. Check out the website. Other recce runs are announced on there - I'm waiting for a Sunday one, hopefully doing the second half of the full.

Recce run Saturday 7th August

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Poorly feet

how is Megan
  • Options
    just seen the reccy for this saturday, and just signed up. In-laws from wibsey are having my littlns, but the weather looks foul on the bbc 5 day forecast
  • Options
    Got Askern 10 on Sunday,else would like to have done some sort of recce on this route,or could the element of surprise be more favourable.
  • Options

Is anyone else doing Belper 30k ahead of this?

Does anyone know how they compare?

How did the recce go? I haven't entered a race before that recommends carrying a map, so mildly concerned. 

Thanks. ftat

• Options
    i'm doing the half and my partner is doing the marathon having never done this race before. we went together today with our maps to do a reccie of the half.

I'm no map reader and i'm very glad we did it together today as I would have been slightly concerned turning up on race day and relying on my map reading skills to get me round.

Feel much better now that I at least have an idea of what the route entails and hope I remember the bits where we went the wrong way.

I'm doing the half on my own having never done an off road half before. I'm hoping there will be lots of others like me!!
  • Options
    Hi All

Does anyone know if the RO accepts name transfers?
  • Options
    He seems a pretty easy-going chap so it's worth asking. Charlie Marshall is the man to contact.
  • Options
    Compo 1 wrote (see)
    Poorly feet how is Megan
    Fine thanks image
  • Options
    thats good

got stainland 7 mile on sunday do hilly races a lot now
  • Options

Got  Lincs. Wolds 10 miler tomorrow, `Tough ten` as their calling it. Should be `fun`,haven`t run since sundays race,right knee been playing up. Bit better today,so will go for a 4/5 miler later,when sun dies down a little.

Then this little race to deal with next week!!!

Catch up with you about Stainland sunday evening,Compo.

• Options

Good luck guys

Not sure if I'm doing 'Sandal Castle 10K', Wetherby 10K', or the 'Norland Moor Trail-Race' (Halifax Harriers, but under 'FRA' guide-lines) on the 12th

• Options
    Tiptoe

good luck when you do this stainland 7 on sunday then swimming bus rally at Heaton park then visiting family again
  • Options

Cheers Compo

Richard,

Definitely go for Norland race,you know you can`t resist a `good` trail race!! image ....never have liked the pugneys area,surrounded by too much busy roadway,wetherby race is flatish,so "run to the hills"

• Options
    OR.......How about the Settle Loop Tough Trail Race,9.5 miles 1500ft of ascent!!!!!!!! on the 12th too.
  • Options
    I might do Norland race it is £4 on the day
  • Options
    Tiptoe me not wrote (see)

Cheers Compo

Richard,

Definitely go for Norland race,you know you can`t resist a `good` trail race!! image ....never have liked the pugneys area,surrounded by too much busy roadway,wetherby race is flatish,so "run to the hills"

There's not much 'road' actually at Pugneys

Wetherby has no 'EoD' (must be due to that 25% discount afterwards at the Whaler!)

Tiptoe me not wrote (see)
    OR.......How about the Settle Loop Tough Trail Race,9.5 miles 1500ft of ascent!!!!!!!! on the 12th too.

Family commitments preclude that much travelling

Compo 1 wrote (see)
    I might do Norland race it is £4 on the day

I know!, that's the attractive bitimage

You won't even get to hear that famous Yorkshire war-cry  "How Much!?!?!"image

(still not a cheap as the 'Trunce' (on Monday 6th) though.... that's £1.20!)

• Options

Compo

Penistone show 10k next saturday,you not doing this one??

Mean`t to do it last year but had something on,same again this year,third time lucky next year hopefully!!

• Options
    I have read about an event that does the Leeds liverpool canal not a race in its self but a huge goody bag and free food at the end

53 mins today at Stainland 7
  • Options

Did the Lincs Wolds 10,not as hilly as I was lead to believe,although straight up from the off.

Mucked up from the start,had all my gear`n`bits,except I left my running shoes on the kitchen floor,too late to go back when I realised.So had to use my normal knocking about cum` work shoes of the last two years.So the comfort and support from the off wasn`t there,might aswell have ran barefoot. image

Saying that it went ok for the first 6 mile,was on course for a PB again,but then started to feel the fatigue in the legs and the knee which had been playing up all week wasn`t helping,ended up with 1:16 dead,7 mins down on last weeks time,but a  race with stunning scenery,and a lovely drive down once off the motorway.

Best not forget the shoes next week!!!  image

• Options
    good goody bag we got today full of engry bars and choclate which I gave my father as I can not eat it due to it giving me Migranes last time I had choclate was back in 2000
  • Options

My biggest downfall is chocolate,can`t just have one bar,has to be two.

• Options
     I am doing the half marathon at haworth on sunday so good luck to those who are doing it. I am also a first time runner on this cousre and not had any chance to reddy it so will be following the person in front. not carry anything other than a water bottle.
  • Options

Tony - you'd better hope you're not chosen for a spot check then image. Quote from the website "This is an off road event & run under FRA rules & guidelines. The route covers open moorland & the highest point in West Yorks. Please carry required kit, map, compass & emergency rations."

Not that I'll be carrying all that either...

Good luck - I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just leave some stew for me will you? image

• Options
    Tiptoe

good luck at this race and same to Poorly feet
  • Options

Cheers compo,hope the weathers OK !

Have you decided what your doing this weekend,are you racing??  image

• Options
  • Options

Still recovering from yesterday,shattered this morning,been stuffing mi`sen all day,managed a trip to the gym for a bit `o leg work `n a five min sprint `ont treadmill.image

Fantastic race,towed a bit from 17 mile onwards,calves cramping like`ell ont` last 6 mile.Some cruel ascents and descents in the last few mile.image

But the marshalled feed stations kept me going throughout,perfectly organised,a real credit to the K & C club.Thanks to all runners for the friendly banter along the way,especially the K&C runner with the dodgy legs,sorry forgot your name even if you did tell me.I was in the flo green Pudsey 10k challenge shirt and the brown leg(took a bog drop!!)

Would like to be back next year,image

• Options

Well done for finishing. I too found it hard from mile 17 onwards. I think the mile+ across the bog took loads out of my legs. Really sore today, despite the post-race massage. It was much tougher than last year for me - I think the wet ground made it harder. I'm glad I took today off work - I've found stairs quite challenging!

The support and organisation made it all worthwhile though, and I'll be proudly wearing my t-shirt at work tomorrow image