Options

alternatives

I love running and racing but I have a few problems with my joints. Whenever I do more than three times a week of running the joints in my legs get very painful. There is a story as to why but I wont bore you with the details. To keep as fit as I want and like to be I need to do more than just three times a week. So, The point of this thread is to see what everyone else does other than running, but that still improves their running. What works best? Would really appreciate help! Thanks!
PS. I tried swimming but I get a bit bored doing lengths.

Comments

• Options
    Hi J
    I have had knee problems too(cartilege, ruptured ACL). I find that if I run often I have less pain then when I run infrequently.

Cycling = good workout. No knee pain so long as spin at high revs.

I like swimming so I'm lucky . I also do aquajogging when I want to run but dont want to put weight through the leg. You can buy an Aquajogger which is a float thing, but I find I dont need it - natural bouyancy from spare tyre. My pace for the aquajogging is 80 minutes per km, but it exercises the same muscles as running but without the aches and pains.
  • Options
    annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    jewels, I was recommended cycling to keep my fitness up, when I first started getting ITB problems. Also, I managed to pick up a crosscountry skier machine very cheaply (£20), which has been amazing. I can use it with the arm bits, to exercise the arms, but if I don't use the arm bits, then it is very like running.
  • Options
    Spin classes at the gym.
  • Options
    Like you, due to persistant injuries I can only run 3 times a week. So I do 3 hard sessions running, one off road cycling sesh and like Annajo I also have an eliptical trainer at home so I do 2 45 min easy sessions on that.
  • Options
    Snap cougie. I'm off for a spinning session tonight.
  • Options
    Lucky pup Armadillo. I hafta wait til Friday.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys. Have started looking into buying a bike. I like the idea of a skiing machine too...could set it up in the living room and watch telly at the same time - multitasking!