Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Options

Hi all a late log on, went to thge club and did a very steady 4.56 miles @10.34 hr average 110!

had a nice chat with some of the other members afterwards mainly about the marathon training image

then onwards down to Leamington to see Stiff Little Fingers at my oldest and dearest friends venue.

I met a couple of mates there and got them backstage passes for after so they were well pleased, I decided to come home and log on here instead ! image

I'm looking forward to the group run on Saturday have got the Sat Nav set already so I probably wont be ever seen again image

Catch everyone tomorrow. NN

• Options
    ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh 47 is that allimageimage
  • Options

SLF are still going??!!!  Wow Rod what do they look like now and how did they sound?  I remember Siouxie (as in Banshees) saying something about it being hard to be a rebel when you're 50.  What a load of cobblers, that would mean I'd need to start behaving myself in three years' time.  Mind you, it is quite scary looking round at the audience for some of the gigs I go to these days - grey beards and mullets all over the place.  Some of the men look even more dodgyimage

Yeah for Pinks and Kimimage  Reading what you both wrote is inspriational stuff, good on you both. 

Pip for heaven's sake don't beat yourself up for a lack of motivation, we're all runners whether we're on the bench or knocking out 20 milers.  Just like every runner understands the frustration of injury, every runner has had a lack of mojo at some stage.  If you're pretty much on plan, give yourself a treat, plan to give one of the weekday runs a miss and do something for yourself that evening.  Take away the guilt, be nice to yourself, and I bet you'll be raring to go again by the weekend, and all the better for it.

I must admit I'm getting pretty sick of this tag around my neck marked "injured", I don't want to be this, it's not me.  I know I'm supposed to be having a fortnight off, but I think I might try a little trot out at some stage, without announcing it beforehand, just to see how it goes.  Apart from anything else, the pressure on the 17th (the official end of my fortnight on the bench) would be massive knowing that I had to report back either success or failure. 

I think that's the hardest bit of all this, that I'm not just dealing with trying to cure the injury, I'm supposed to be running a half marathon on it on the 28th, then a full marathon on it in 47 days' time.  Just an incy bit of a jump up from being able to do sod all!  I'm really nervous though, I'm still swallowing painkillers like smarties and if that sharp, stabby pain comes on again, then where the hell does it leave me and what am I supposed to do?

• Options

Morning all I woke up at 5 felt tired still so slept on, its called "listening to your body" but I'm not sure it applies to work image

SLF are still going Hash Jake Burns carries a bit more weight but they all looked good and sounded good too, 600 plus people inan independently owned / run venue ina small provincial town on a Tueday night, fantastic. of course as you know the audience are the same a before just older balder and greyer and as for the blokes.............image "only kidding"

Hash I havn't  mentioned your injury as I figured you have heard enough of it. lets see what transpires I guess when it starts feeling better you will know.

Good words from Kim and Pinks .

Pip Hash's advice is right. Actually you have had the guts to come on here and say exactly what you are feeling /thinking, I f lots of us were honest we all have had that feeling I know I have, take a days training out  and come back stronger, you've got this far.

Have a good day all, and take care.

• Options

Pip as everyone has said.  You aren't the only one feeling the same way so take comfort in that.  That is one of the hardest things to deal with.  Have a couple of easier days and leave the garmin or watch at home.  Just go out and run, enjoy the weather, scenery or whatever without the pressure of acheiving something.  Get your enthusiasm back for just being out there.  When the pressure mounts and you feel you aren't doing enough/as well as everyone else remember it is your marathon no one elses.  It is something you will achieve and be proud of yourself for coming this far injury free and feeling stronger than ever.
    I constantly feel slower than everyone else and that they are doing more/better than me.  But no one else is living your life either.  You can only do what you can do.  As long as you do yourself justice that is all that matters in the end image

I am not decided whether or not to do Dorney.  There is a local 20mile race the same day and I don't know whether it will be better for me to do a 20 mile in company.

• Options

Rio you are so right, ok so I always take the Garmin but it is not a tool to help me beat myself up it is a training device which I use as such. How I see it is you can only do your best no matter what the watch tells you,I'm more interested in having the data to compare to old runs after especially HR.

Also Rio you give loads of advice could I give you some please?

Do the 20 milere in company to me its a no brainer image

• Options

PipG.........I would give anything to be out there running in the sunshine. Please run for me this week and Hash and others who are climbing the walls at the moment with injury. My OH wants to put me in the chicken shed as I am driving her mad. I am like a bear with a sore head, or ginger head as she says. SO GET MOTIVATED while you are fit. Come the 25th in only 46 days from now you will be in Greenwich ready to go, wishing you had trained more. So get out there and enjoy the sunshine and have fun............

Hash be good and dont run yet...................we can walk it if we have to.........but dont run yet.

Every survival kit should include a sense of humour.......its only a marathon not 50 marathons.image

• Options

Hi all

i really lacked motivation last week............which was my week 10 on the schedule........but this week i seem to be bouncing again...........

went out with club last night thinking of doing about 5 slow and one of the girls wanted to do 10 for her schedule.so i thought great I can swap thursdays 10 for tonight...............didn't have water or anything on me..........and we went off and I had a really good run...94 mins which was just 2/3 mins slower than my flat rce a few weeks ago when i messed up..........

can't believe the speed we ran especially as it wasn't flat and it was my first run after the grizzly and I did 10 miles on the road bike in the safternoon to dust if off from the winterimage

we all have bad days....then the good days are even sweeterimage

• Options
    Thanks Rod.  I was thinking that the 20 would be more beneficial.  Would have been good to meet up with the Supersix before VLM but again I guess I need to look at the bigger picture image
  • Options

Come on everybody - we can do this!!image Lost my mojo briefly Sunday/ Monday. Dragged myself to the dreadmill for intervals. Really didn't want to do them  but once I started and got stuck in I felt better. Now I'm half looking forward to tomorrows 5miles tempo run!!image 

Haven't got my bike now till weekend so went to spin class last night. Rest day today.

Got my number today for half marathon on 28th!!!!! Arghhhhhh!!!!!!image

Hope all the  niggles are just that and no serious injuries (((((Mark)))))) fingers crossed for you.

Hope you all have a good meet up at the weekend image

• Options

Thanks for the hug Relaxed......feel better now.!!!

Off to Physio tomorrow afternoon for abit of massage on it......new to me sounds painful.......hopefully by the weekend I may be better but will be skipping the sprinting for the next six weeks anyway......

• Options

Mark - hope your massage works wonders.  I had my first one last night - very nice apart from the chanting monk music the woman played.

Mid week blues everyoneimage we need some possitive vibes like Relaxed.  We can all do this!!!

Today I'm celebrating loosing 2lbs, with a cream eggimage.  Will be cross training at gym tonight.  If work allows I will try and get out for a jog on Thursday and Friday.  Saving myself for 20 miles on Saturday.

Hash - I'm not encouraging you to be naughty but if you do go out for a potter then good luck and take care.image

• Options
    Time for some juggling and negotiation.  A has just handed me an invitation to go skating with friends on Saturday.  She needs to be in Croughton which is in the other direction to Bedford.  She needs to be there ate 9.30 am!
  • Options

Hi Vicky,

How are things going?  It sounds like a little bit of anxiety is creeping in, understandable - but try not to let it!  We will look forward to seeing you at Dorney Lake however much you can or can't do on the day...

Do try and maintin this rest though as frustrating as it is, it's necessary to allow things to calm down.

Well done everyone else for keeping up the great work and really tackling this months hard training head on!

I'm noticing a few comments on the new Lucozade Lite product;

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/469976/Gallery/lite.png

This is the new improved version of Hydro Active - a drink deisgned to primarily aid hydration, so great for any of your runs that are under 60 minutes where the additional fuel isn't required, but hydration is paramount to getting the most out of your run.  I can recommend it!

• Options

Emma Sports Scientist said

This is the new improved version of Hydro Active - a drink deisgned to primarily aid hydration, so great for any of your runs that are under 60 minutes where the additional fuel isn't required, but hydration is paramount to getting the most out of your run.  I can recommend it!

Emma get a few cases on the van for when you give the talk at our place (Kenilworth) on the 30th image

We will know how good it is then!

Hope every one here is well I deffed the gym out today, speed session tomorrow I will do the missed gym session after that may as well make it a tough one image

• Options

*wombles in to see how Madame Hash and her disciples are doing*

Nicely, I see!!

All good.

I have tried the Lite stuff - it's good. Snazzy bottles too (not that it makes much difference to the taste)

• Options

Hey everyone!

Went out to test the back injury out and decided to try it without ibruprofen and painkillers as I didnt wanna run through the injury. I managed a nice 6 miler and although it took me bout 1 hr and 10 mins it felt ok. Back was niggly but not painful as such, more telling me the niggle was still there. Best way i can describe it is that instead of bending forward its like someone is bending me back wards (it sounds soooooo wrong image but you get my drift!!)

I did the most random thing after and  jumped into an ice cold bath - OMGGGG - bad idea!! Do peeps actually do that?!! I put a small amount of warm water in it to take the chill off it and managed to stay in for 10 mins. I have an ice pack on my back as its still niggly but the nice thing is that I know that the running isnt actually making it worse, so I'm gonna take some painkillers on Sat image

Do you think me not running for a week can make a difference to my heart rate? I wore my HRM today and couldnt get it below 150 and it went up to 170 at some points. It was very windy and cold, so Im wondering if that was the reason as well?

Do we have any firm plans for Saturday yet? I am bringing a friend as well and she has two babies so need an idea what time I will get her back!! Are we lunching (yum, yum) and are we bringig spare clothes or sweating it out like true athletes in the pub?!

Hash - hope it goes ok today babe - test CAREFULLY 

• Options

Kim I think we are planning to meet at 0845 for a 0900 start I'm sure Pinks will have it all in hand and all will be revealed soon image

Good news about the back maybe on the mend?

I am not relishing tomorrows sessions image

• Options

Kim I'm so glad yours went okay.  Could the high heart rate be because you were nervous about how it was going to go?  There are firm plans for Saturday, Pinks e-mailed it, I'll forward it on to  you.  Meet at 8.45, set off at 9, I'm stashing water and fuel at various points around the course, then a bit of lunch and a natter when you're all done.

Bridget noooooo!!!!!!   Blouse is really looking forward to meeting you, hope you find a way around it.

Emma, nice to see you, how are you?

Mark, hope the massage does the trick, everything crossed for you mate.

Suze, Rod, Luc - thanks.  One very happy hasher over here, although if you'd told me at the start of this that I'd be happy with managing 2 miles I'd have been horrified.  I was ludicrously nervous about how that was going to go.  Chas said to just run gently for a couple of miles on a soft surface, no pressure, and keep consciously relaxing.  So that's what I did.  I left the heart rate monitor off, went over to the common and just bimbled around in the woodland playing, running down whatever track I fancied, not having any other measure on the screen apart from distance.  It was fine.image

No, it was better than fine, it was wonderful.  I need to accept that a sub-4.30 marathon in 46 days' time is not wthin my grasp, but so what, if I can make it around the course the medal will look the same.  In many ways, making it to the finish line in whatever time I do will be more of an achievement than the 4 hours 40 I did last year.  My goal now has to be to recover from the injury, not to worry about times or distances, but just gently learn to run again, and to convince my head that it will be okay, by consciously relaxing.   I'm going to do that every so often, probably not say that I'm doing it and certainly not post times for the next week or so.  Liz gave me the walk/run strategy to increase slowly so that's what I'll do.

There have been lots of off-forum good wishes, and as I know from my last recovery, wish therapy works.  Thanks a million you lovely people.

• Options

Thanks Rod..image Tomorrows session, I'm sure will be fine, just dont attempt any catch up, only do what you can do..

RIO, Relaxed - SO inspirational! Can you come live with me for the next 6 weeks PLEASE image

I'm hoping its on the mend honey image it still feels tender and its telling me its there but the pain isnt one of those crippling things, more niggly type - so icing, resting etc. My planning has kinda gone out the window now and I'll take whatever training I can - I feel if I can get through the next few weeks and the niggles calm down, then I'll get to the marathon - MY MARATHON, as Rio says, in good shape. I'm not about to jeopardise 5 months of training just to stick rigidly to the plan. I'm resting tomo and then swimming on Friday before the run on Saturday - looking forward to it and to meeting you all!

ETA: Hash - got the message honey. So glad it went ok, Its YOUR marathon, remember and all of our medals WILL look the same! I've been invited to the MINT LEAF restaurant on Haymarket afterwards for my charity, Sick Childrens Trust, where they will have a free masseur, DJ, food, drink etc - so looking forward to it. I can take my bank pals who are coming up to support me, as well for £17.50 a head to they think its good value too!

• Options
    Kim, sorry I just realised yours was the one email address I didn't have as everyone had messaged me theirs except you! Have you got all the details now? Really hope your back is going to be ok but don't worry we can take it steady saturday and if you needed to cut it short we can arrange that too and OH will be on hand with car to pick up anyone that needs to stop - hopefully that won't be the case!!

There'll be facilities to change and get cleaned up if you want to bring stuff to change into etc. Anyone got any food preferences/dislikes?

FANTASTIC news Hash!!!! Long may that continue - when can you do it again? Could you jog in the last couple of miles with us on Saturday - that last point where you are stashing water would be 17........see how you feel? Fingers crossed.

Did an easy 4 tonight, running slowly was more difficult than going fast!!! And I overheated more quickly too?!!

WE CAN DO THIS EVERYONE, WE'RE NEARLY THERE!!!!!!!
  • Options

Pinks you've got it all sorted image

tomorrow is the toughie mind still as Kim says I can only do my best 

• Options

So sorry I forgot to send my emails Pinks, but all sorted now thanks to the gorgeous Hash . Well done on your 4 miler honey - I have a pace, thats apace and thats it really, apart from races when I run a little faster - notvery technical, eh?!

With regard to food preferences....I LIKE FOOD, so hopefully that helps a little image

Mind over matter Rod image

• Options
    yes Kim you are right tomorrow I run image
  • Options

OMG Kim that's a brilliant idea.  Yes yes YES!!!!!

On Inn image 

If you're going to finish a 20 miler with a hasher, you will all be hydrated in the traditional manner.  What a fantastic idea.  Okay everyone,form a circle!

• Options

Evening all!!

Well done Hash hope everythings is still ok!!!

Kim glad your back is behaving sort of!!

My lack of motivation has gone because I visited my charity today and was very humbled by some of the people I met- one guy who is a client of Enham was hit by a motorbike when he was  and Drs told his parents he would not last the  night- well twenty years on he's just climbed mount kilimanjaro- I can honesty say he and the other people I met today will be my inspiration- along with you guys!!!  If anyone wants to see who I'm running for  visit www.enham.org.uk and just watch the video!!

Happy running all

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    Hash - that's a good post. Try and take a positive spin in that you don't have the time pressure hanging over you now so get there and enjoy it the marathon.

Finally managed an egg free day (chocolate eggs i mean) and hoping i can stop eating so much crap. It will help my motivation, i know it.

I guess no one on here is doing the spitfire 20 miler this weekend?

Hope everyone is either holding together or mending well.
  • Options
    Woo hoooooo..................Hash I assume that means you are going to meet us at mile17??!!!!!

FANTABIDOSEY!!!!!! Heres to finishing with a superHash!

Rod, as one of my chums on the FLM Virgin thread says when contemplating a hard/toughie run...........JFDI!!!!!!! Get psyched up, get on in there and get it done......you can do it!!! Report awaited!! You are likely the strongest fastest one on here and we need you up front!

LETS DO IT!