Options

Sub 3:30 - VLM 2010

Comments

• Options

Evening all,

Sounds like there's some good running taking place... but not by me !!!

Horrible day... 20 miles in torrential rain and blew up at 17 miles despite copious gels and Gatorade.

Ended up with 20 M in 3 hr 4 mins and am absolutely exhausted.

Getting a bit of a complex about my LSR's !

CK:- On a rare positive note, the Bodyglide stuff is amazing... no chafing at all despite wearing Winter tights and constant rain... best £10 i've ever spent !

• Options

Thanks GM, yes I have tried that...just all my pics seem to be too large in terms of file size... even tried a few pics of bambi from the internet!

Well done to you all for getting out there in the rubbish weather today.... as you say, the main thing is that you get the miles in... it really doesn't matter about the speed... fingers crossed we won't have to face sleet / heavy rain on the day! Last year I watched the weather forecast all week.... not once did it say it was going to be quite warm on the day!!

• Options

Welcome to the thread DD.

Awesome stuff from all of you who got out today,   I played the wimp's card,  didn't have the mental strength to start out on a 20M run in the pouring rain....will do 2hrs tomorrow after work,  and also got a decent long bike ride in on Saturday so it's not all been bad.

• Options
    so. did a 16 miler today (25.6km) although map my run puts it at 27km so i think i need to calibrate my footpod and polar.

after 10 miles my legs felt like running through treacle and i was getting stitches all over the place. I changed my run to a more forest route (normal route is flat) and the hills killed me.

for the first time, i had trouble keeping to my training pace 5.26sec per km /8:40sec miles
    and ended up hitting the wall and walking for 20 secs!!!! pace was 5:40 average so not miles off

1. is that much pain normal? maybe i just had a bad week?
    2. do i need to keep to the target pace to get under 3:30
    3. should i stick to a flat course to keep to my training pace?
  • Options

Lots of good running going on over the weekend! Fortunately Scotland seems to be missing the snow this time and we're just getting cold clear days just now, long may that continue!

It was a step-back week for me this week so the weekend runs were 7 miles at marathon pace on Sunday followed by 11 miles yesterday. Managed both runs without any issues. 7.06 miles on saturday at 7:57/mile and 11.26 miles yesteray at 8:09/mile.

Got a total of 41 miles planned for this week and I might need to re-arrange my weekend runs this week. It's my dads 60th on Sunday and there is a party on Saturday night for him and a smaller family gathering on Sunday. I'm meant to be doing 8 miles on Saturday and 17 on Sunday but I think I might swap them about.

• Options

Had a really good run in the Wokingham Half yesterday where I managed 1:32:24 so v pleased with that. As planned, met up with CK (wearing his very noticable 'Children with Leukemia' running top!) both during and after the race. Pete, pleasure to meet you, hope you enjoyed the game and a few pints in the pub afterwards....

I keep half an eye on the Runners World schedule and noticed with horror that I should be doing 20 miles this weekend - I guess others are up to this distance? I am not far off but it is a good wee jump from 17....

Leslie, whereabouts are you in Scotland?

• Options
    Dave

Once again may congratulations on that time, am very green with envy. Also Dave forgets to mention that it was his first HM which makes it an even more outstanding achievement.

Yes made it to the pub but couldn't face LP so was on lager tops as someone suggested they were better for re-hydrating. image

My official time was 1:37:49 which I was very disappointed with as my training had been going so well until recently. Going to try another HM at Dorny lake on March 13th, even flatter than Wokingham

Once again many congrats Dave, see you and hopefully a few others from this blog in London on the 25th.

Regards, Ck (Pete)
  • Options
    Cheers  Pete! It was my second HM though (did London Parks last year in 1:35:40) image
  • Options

Dave & Pete,

Great times yesterday guys... am deeply jealous !

On the evidence of yesterday's run and having looked at the T.Wells HM course profile, i'm not over-optimistic about running a sub 1 hr 37 min time this coming Sunday. I should have chosen a nice flat track, but it's conveniently close to home.

Bambi, If you are going to spectate on Sunday, it would be good to put a face to the name. Weather permitting, i will be sporting an orange Muscular Dystrophy Campaign vest and my race no. is 1441, so please feel free to throw beer, wine, sweets or whatever at me !

Anyway, i'm now going to enjoy my day off with a couple of pint's of Harvey's finest !!!

• Options

Hi all, cheers for the welcome.

I too braved the snow on Sunday for a long run. Did the 20 miles but like the other guys on here it was pretty slow at 3 hours 3 mins. More worringly it felt tough all the way through unlike my previous long runs which have felt ok. Lets put it down to the snow.

• Options
    Cheers Oompa

In my youth spent one summer working in a hotel in Lewes just up the road from the Harveys brewery. Haven't sampled Sussex best in many years, hope it's as good as I remember.

Well done to everyone on their LSR yesterday too. Dan, don't get too disheartened, I still struggle with the occassional 5 miler.

Regards, Pete
  • Options

DB9 & CK - Great times and well on schedule for a great VLM time.

DD - I wouldn't worry too much, its the mileage and time on feet that count.  I was knackered after my LSR too.  Bit strange running on snow and at times was down to 10m/m pace.  However, when I did get a clear bit of road managed to get pace back up to 9m/m.  Hopefully after about 4-5 more LSR on a normal road surface it will all come good.

• Options
    Great times at the half yesterday DB9 and CK.

I'm in Falkirk, Central Scotland DB.
  • Options

Leslie, I am from Glasgow originally.

Have you tried the Park Run's in Glasgow and Edinbugh on Sat mornings? I did both when I was in Scotland over Christmas. They are excellent events.

• Options
    David, not tried them yet but will probably try to one or other (or both!) after VLM. The Glasgow one is getting really busy. 250 odd runners on saturday just passed and that was with the National Cross Country on that weekend as well!
  • Options

For those of you running 1.36/7 for your halfs currently I really wouldn't feel too disheartened....my best is 1.37 (that was 3 weeks before London in 2009) and I managed 3.30... and you still have plenty of time.... although I guess it depends how much sub 3.30 you are hoping to go!

I did my first speed session last night - just 3 x 1mile with 2 mins recovery and couple of miles warm up/down, they ranged from 6.32-6.39, not really sure what they should be but they were at least faster than anything else I have done! 

Oompa - I will look out for you! Good luck....... there is a reason I am not doing it...and the profile has everything to do with it! But you will benefit in the long run!  

• Options

Bambi,

I know what you mean about the profile, Spring hill doesn't seem that steep... IN A CAR !!!!

Oh well, fingers crossed.

• Options

Just got back home from my hill repeats.  I hurt!

Its pretty soul destroying, espicially as it started sonwing somewhere around the third or forth one, but it sure feels good to have them done for another week.

• Options
    Did treadmill hills yesterday. First 5 were not very nice at all and was ready to stop there and then. At that point decided to break the session down into smaller chunks and evaluate how I felt at each stage rather just counting (slowly) up to 14. Found that aiming for 7 (half way), 10 (1st weeks hill session), 12 (2nd week) then 14 really helped break that psychological barrier and felt really good after completing it.
  • Options

DD & Gadget,

I share your sentiments entirely.

First 8 reps were fine, then for some reason, the next 2 were blo**y hard work and just as i had 4 to go... yep... you guessed it... the heaven's opened and i got soaked... again !!!

Bored of Winter now !!!

That said, rather this than THE DREADMILL !!!

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Morning, from an occasional contributor. Some good work reported. I'm planning to do the hill reps in a short while, having binned yesterday.

Next week's programme has 200m reps - I can't see the value of these at all for marathon training, so will probably substitute mile reps (not quite so many, though!). What do others think?

• Options
    Oops entered by mistake
  • Options

I headed out for a threshold run today but had absolutely nothing in my legs image Gave up after 3.5 miles plodding warm up...... I can probably put it down to a couple of things and I know bad days are inevitable so hopefully I will bounce back tomorrow!

Joddly - Im no expert but my speed sessions are a combination of 3/4 x mile reps, 5 x 5mins, 8 x 3mins, rotating each week and  starting with 2 mins jog recovery and decreasing this to 90s and then 1 minute. Im not doing them but yasso 800s are also popular, but like you Im not so sure of the value of 200s.

Good effort on the hills everyone....Im still yet to set foot near one...

• Options

Evening boys & girls

Great long running & racing over the weekend,  well done all....that'll stand you in great stead and still 8 weeks to go.

Mixed week so far,  felt really ill on Monday so managed an hour of my 2 hr run before having to stack it.  6 miler at reasonable pace yesterday in foul weather followed by a decent curry and a nice bottle of nepalese beer in the evening.  That helped to fuel 7x800m Yassos today and a swim,  no beer  and also limited jaffa cake consumption to 4 this evening.  Bit of biking & weights circuit tomorrow, rest day Friday then plan for as close to 3hr run as I can do early on Saturday morning,  as Mrs J is out for most of the day and I'll need to look after the jaffalets (it also means I get to try and watch rugby and have a couple of beers!)

PS What are these hills that everyone is talking about?

• Options

Well tried GM's treadmill hill session workout. Did 1M warm up then 14 X 6.5mph on 10% gradiant but after the first one reduced the gradiant to 9 and managed to complete the session and felt pretty good. I 'm going to do the same as  you Joddly and substitute next weeks speed session for either 1M or 1.5M reps.

Am in the North on business for a couple of days so staying with friends in Harrogate. Well intended to do about 5 miles but got lost so ended tonight doing 10.5M which was actually quite pleasant. Some interesting hills around here image Felt really good then got back and devoured  heaps of Steak pie & mash, a  bottle of Speckled Hen and half a bottle of Rioja. Could have slept standning on my feet last night. image

Jaffa, like you also a bigh jaffa cakes fan, normal post LSR treat is 6 of them with a pint of milk (skmmed of course)

Regards, CK 

• Options

CK - Glad you liked the treadmill hills.

Think I'll stick with the 200m reps as per the schedule.  Might come in handy if I'm 200m from the finish line and see 3:29:20 on the clock image

• Options

Well just completed todays session. Consisted of 1M warm up with 3M in 22mins then 1M warm down. Enjoyed it but can hardly keep my eyes open now as found this week quite tiring. Right pub beckons although moderation required as LSR planned tomorrow morning.

Regards, CK

• Options

Know what you mean CK... Ive been knackered this week and opted for a mile swim this evening! Enjoy the pub....Im just having my pre LSR glass of vino..... 20 again for me tomorrow morning.

Good luck to everyone again for your LSRs... Oompa, the weather is not looking good for Sunday...

• Options
    Well that's another 20M under the belt. Did it in 2hr 44mins which felt pretty comfortable but did notice I started to stiffen up incredibly quickly once back in the house. Anyway, just finished sixth Jaffa cake with feet up watching Chelsea get stuffed. Off to the pub soon for the Rugby followed by Arsenal the game so great afternoon at sport. Also intending to fully indulge in my local hostelries best offerings image

Good luck to everyone with their LSR today/tomorrow.

Regards, CK
  • Options

Well think Ill have to right this week off.... my run didn't go well.... did about 18.5 but it started to go pear shaped at 14 and I only did the last 4.5 because I had to get back to my car and it was a combination of shuffling and walking... I would have crawled if it had been on soft ground! image Back to the drawing board on Monday!

Well done CK.....similar pace to my mine last week, don't know what happened to me today... may try your diet of rioja, speckled hen and red meat (instead of being a fish eating, veggie white wine drinker!)