Options

training and the atkins diet ?

Has anyone tried training and the atkins diet (high protein and no carbohydrate)?

It sounds like a bad idea but I was wondering if there was anyone with real experience.

I am not running any further than the Bewl 15 miles for the rest of this year.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Ive been atkins based for years-i do increase carbs pre marathon-but the atkins suits my eating habits-i have lower body fat than before-good blood pressure-loads of energy for running-i have more fruit and veg than strict atkins-but since i stopped caffeine no headaches. Read the book and try it-it may not be for everybody-just think of all the chemicals that are used in producing fruit and vegs?? Atkins is a promoter of organic foods aswell. Downside-breath can smell due to ketones.But it is a luxurious way of eating.My wife has tried every diet and always returns to atkins.

RD
  • Options
    Atkins diet can also cause kidney damage, as well as raise your cholesterol levels. While it may take longer for the weight to shift, in the end, I think that a sensible, balanced way of eating is always superior to any fad 'diet' plan out there.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I did Akins last year and shifted the weight I wanted to. However, I was then trying to increse mileage whilst doing the ongoing weight loss/pre maintenance phase and felt like I was hitting "the wall" at about 6 miles into a run. As a result I stopped doing Atkins.

I am now considering going back to an Atkins based diet because I find that eating pasta/potatoes and bread leaves me feeling lethargic.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do the Atkins diet, but I wrote about it and I think there's something in it. Generally, though proponents say it's better for athletes to eat carbs because you burn it off therefore don't effect insulin levels (or something like that!) - I'd say jury's out and diets like this will have a big impact on the changing guidelines. Come back in 10 years and see if recommendations change (due to diabetes epidemic)....Latest Atkins news is here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3044689.stm but very small study (63 people)...right, back to work!
  • Options
    'The Zone diet' is more balanced, and focusses on getting protein, carbs and fat into the right proportions. I generally try to stick to this when eating / planning a meal, and it seems to keep my weight stable.

I wouldn't mind shifting a stone or so, and was wondering if increasing my protein to carbs ratio would work? I don't think I could go fully Atkins, but perhaps there is a mid-way solution?
  • Options
    Hi there

I'm on the slimming world diet which I think is a mid way solution! The diet consists of red and green days. Red days consist of eating as much meat and veg as you want and a very limited amount of carbs. Green days are the opposite - lots of carbs and limited meat. I've been on the diet for 9 weeks now and have lost 13lb.
  • Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭
    If you want to keep doing aerobic exercise you need emphasis on carbs rather than atkins, simple as that.

Was chatting with a doctor friend last night and he claims a lot of research is currently taking place on what a protein-rich diet (such as atkins) can do to your body, specifically the heart. Apparently it's not looking too rosey. It's a lot more complicated than just high cholesterol levels.

I'm surprised anyone on this site is thinking of atkins to be honest. If you exercise you need fuel (carbs). And these carbs are then burnt off as you do it. Protein is great for high intensive workouts that use anaerobic metabolism, but thats it. You want to be a runner or a weight lifter?

Protein in moderation right?
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options
    Atkins is for fools, plain and simple it is dangerouus

Here is another thread on the subject

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=15257&last=1&SP=&V=1
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Not really related to this topic but has anyone else switched back to butter from marg because of suggestions that vegetable oils can't be broken down properly (or something like that). There was an article on it in last weeks cycling weekly but I've heard bits and bobs over the last year or so that perhaps the butter vs marg debate isn't quite so clear cut as far as health is concerned. Anyone got any knowledge on this one?
  • Options
    Isn't the fat in marg hydrogenated in order to keep it in a solid state? It's probably worse for you than plain old butter, but I guess the key is moderation.
  • Options
    What i cant understand-its the biggest selling book-stars like catherine zeta jones,gerry holliwell and many other stars etc are on it,surely with their money they must have the best advice??

The daily mail report on Wednesday said it was safe. But with all the chemicals and growth hormones in fruit,veg,meats,fish what is safe?? Most of the research on foods is sponsored by people like mcdonalds and pizza companys. If we knew half the truth we wouldnt eat anything from a supermarket.

RD
  • Options
    marg is hydrogenated oils
    the oils are healthy but the way there made solid isn't
    problem is that when the marg is heated/melted, the bonds between the carbons, oxygens and hydrogens in the fatty chain reform.
    the process used to solidify marg from veg. oil is 14 steps long, and is designed to make sure the fatty chains bond together well, creating a solid fat. for many of these stages the fat is liquid, when it is solidified, it has extra hydrogen atoms added, to help make it solid.
    when we eat it/cook with it, it melts. the atoms of thefatty chain, especially the added hydrogens are liberated. when the fat cools again, the fatty chains rebond differently, and less specifically than the 14 step process of hydrogenation makes them do so in the first place.
    the result is imperfect re-bonding, which leaves free radicals liberated, usually the extra hydrogen atoms, it is these which are damaging to you.
  • Options
    I tried the Atkins Diet to lose a few pounds. I found that I did not have the energy need to carry on with what I normally do - 45 minutes running followed by a spinning class. I felt totally washed out. Yes I lost 8 lbs in one week but I don't think it is real weight loss. I concentrate more now on healthier eating - plenty of complex carbos (with a few lagers). I do have a brother who swears by it but he was more than a few stone overweight in the first place and is not training for anything in particular.
  • Options
    Dont use butter or marg
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Boxing friend of mine uses Atkins to shed weight before a fight as do several (non athletic) mates before they go on holiday to lose the beer belly.
    All can vouch for the immediate weight loss (that goes straight back on again) and all can vouch (so can I for that matter) on the less than pleasant bad breath side effect.

Not scientific enough to understand all the details,but surely not eating carbs is not a balanced diet ?
  • Options
    I think its something that may be good for some but not others. I am light but wanted to shed a couple of 'christmas pounds', it merely dehydrated me..... So the weight loss was water only.

I shifted no body fat despite doing it to plan. Then as soon as I had carbs the weight went back on. As an ex vegetarian I found it very difficult anyway - simply couldnt exercise while on it. Too busy sleeping.
  • Options
    TreadmillTreadmill ✭✭✭
    Seems to go against general advice. It's less energy efficient for the body to release energy from fat and protein than carbohydrate, (I think approx 15% less efficient)