Options

First Time Half Marathoners

1272829303133»

Comments

• Options

Congrats knowlesy, GL for Sunday Anne

As expected I couldn't do my first half on Sunday as my foot was still leaking blood on the Sunday. Have also put on half a stone the last 2 weeks what with going on holiday and then sitting on my butt waiting for my feet to heal. Have got 6 weeks to train for my half in November. Will probs increase the milage quickly, using any residual fitness I have left..lol

• Options

Anne,

Hope you are okay and are running tomorrow. I shall think of you as I'm in my first "multiterrain" race. Only 11k, but I gather its half steeply downhill, and then ..... well you can imagine the rest! Fields, stiles, MUD, running through a river for a while - oh and the weather forecast is not good for tomorrow. Lovely!! 

Pegleg - sorry to hear about your feet - sounds horrible. Take it easy when you can get out again.

Oh and Jax - good luck for tomorrow as well! Sorry to hear about your health problems, positive mental attitude is a VERY potent force!!!

Knowsley - woo hoo!!! Well done you! All uphill sounds very hard work so huge congratualtions to you. What's next then??!!

Ludoludo - glad you got some good advice and best of luck to you too!

Rick - belated congratulations to you as well. Looked like an amazing event. Don't know if I'd like to be in such a big crowd , but I bet the atmosphere was amazing!

Did I miss anyone???

• Options

B&T - thanks!

Managed to run all the way round my first HM today and despite my gammy leg managed it in 2h 55 mins so very happy with that especially as GP recommended not running at all.  Extremely stiff and sore in hips an calves now but hey ho - Just need to keep remembering that I've raised loads of money for the hospice and it all seems worthwhile.  Am off for a long soak in the bath followed by a much needed stretch!

• Options
    Congrats Jax, cracking result
  • Options

Hello everyone image

I've been MIA .. from here and from running in general ... but I'm back and have 18 days until my next (my 2nd) HM .... so, I'd best focus !!

Been for a run this morning, my first run, in 2wks .... as I've had a stinking cold and generally felt miserable. Really happy that I've been and got on with it, and was a reasonable pace (well, for me anyway!)

Although, I have done something faintly "stupid" (ok, so totally mad) ... and entered for a "ballot" place with the BHF for the Edinburgh marathon 2011 ... they promised it would be flat !!

I'm a bit scared, to say the least, but I'm not going to think about it until after I've done the San Fran HM .... then I can start to panic .... Winter training ... brrrrr ....

• Options

I’m pretty new to running, and have been training for about a year. I ran my first half marathon today and just wondered how I did. I’m 50 years old, weigh 50.5k and ran a half marathon in 2 hours 5 minutes. Any comments on how I did and how to improve?

• Options

3 weeks now until my first half-marathon.... just did 9 miles in 1hr21... well on target for my aim of finishing in under 2hours

the races is laps, so the plan is to go below pace on the first 3 laps, and then go as hard as poss in the last one.... we'll see lol

• Options

SB - welcome My advice on how to improve is just carry on the way you have been training, 2:05 for your first is an excellent time, well done. Make the most of the good weather though as winter training for a spring race can be frustrating and b cold!! As I am in the same age group - mature! - my advice is to be aware of your body during this period as aches and pains can take longer to go away, but if they persist then seek professional advice, don't put it down to age and the weather. We all do it but it would be a shame to miss the start of the spring through an injury.

• Options

I'm a fairly new runner.  Started last year run/walk for 3 miles.  The just stopped for no reason at all.......but now I have more time on my hands (all 3 in school in the morningimage I go to the gym next to the school.  I can do a 5km run in 36 mins.  Started in September on 3km & increased it slowly.  Do some weights to rest for a while & back on the mill for another 2km.   This is just to get some distance in.   I do have a cycle track behind my house but I find it tedious......and all the other roads/tracks are too hilly (I live in the sticks!!) but I really have to get out on the road to see how I go.

I've been challenged to the Cardiff HM....haven't said "yes" yet but I'd love to have a go, seeing I have 11 months to train.

• Options
    Is it just me or does anyone else struggle to fit training into daily life image

What with kids & work I am struggling to fit in more than 1 session a week. Whats everyones thoughts on treadmills ?