Options

Outlaw Volunteers

As discussed in the Outlaw thread, I have been contacted One Step Beyond a short while ago and suggested the possibility of a group of pirates manning an Outlaw bike feed station.   The organiser is very keen for us to be involved and welcomed the pirated participation and support at the Vitruvian over the years.

As an added incentive/thank you, One Step Beyond are offering one of the volunteers a free place at the Etap-Du-Tour 2010.   

This is a chance for a pirate to be among 9500 cyclists riding an all time classic tour stage.  This years event should be especially special as it marks the 100th anniversary of the Tour de France first going to the Pyrénées

The place will be allocated to one of the volunteers i.e. name drawn out of a hat.  Given the proximity to Roth and IM Germany, it maybe necessary for the draw to be done on a roll down basis just in case 1st out of the hat is not able to use it.

The place is entry only and does not include other costs such as transport and organisation and is worth mentioning that its a 181km Tour mountain stage.

Etap Du Tour 16th-18th July 2010

http://www.letapedutour.com/2010/ETDT/presentation/images/TDF10_profil_17.jpg

http://www.letapedutour.com/2010/ETDT/presentation/images/ph-parcours.jpg

Comments

• Options
    What I need to do now is gather a list of people willing to volunteer at the Outlaw.

At the moment One Step Beyond are putting together the final plans but we im proceeding on the basis that we need approx 20 people to run a bike feedstation.  You will appreciate this requires some degree of commitment and will likely involve briefings, set-up, packing up etc, but most importantly helping us all have one big party and making sure the competitors have a great race.

Outlaw 8th August 2010 Volunteers

Definite (as can be)
    Barley

Possible
  • Options
    What I need to do now is gather a list of people willing to volunteer at the Outlaw.

At the moment One Step Beyond are putting together the final plans but we im proceeding on the basis that we need approx 20 people to run a bike feedstation.  You will appreciate this requires some degree of commitment and will likely involve briefings, set-up, packing up etc, but most importantly helping us all have one big party and making sure the competitors have a great race.

Definite (as can be)
    BarleyMr P

Possible
  • Options

Definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P

Possible
  • Options

Definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    Ditchy and HH (hotel booked and everyfink)

Possible

• Options

Definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    KJ

Possible

• Options

Definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    KJ
    shuffle B (not entering the draw though!!)

Possible

• Options
    good work barlos, is that a place on the etape for one of the pirate volunteers at the feed station or for one of the volunteers at the event?
  • Options

Barley the ridgeback Max family have three willing and experienced feed station helpers (aged 18 to 14 so not little nippers that may get in the way) who are very keen to help out  if someone can get them from the start to the feed station and back after as I will be busy doing a little bit of racing/crawling

definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    KJ

Possible

Ridgebackmax posse x 3 (if lift available)

• Options

lol, erm, HH and I are helping out as long as we definitlely don't win the etape thingie!

Not sure doing the etape the day before Roth is a good idea image

But only cos we'd miss racking of course, not because we're wusses or anything.....  

• Options
    JD. wrote (see)
    good work barlos, is that a place on the etape for one of the pirate volunteers at the feed station or for one of the volunteers at the event?

Its just among the pirate volunteers

• Options
    SP I believe has put me down to volunteer (nice of him) - so not sure where that leaves me image anyways would not want the Etap thingy not being able to ride a bike and having a fear of heights slightly buggers that one.
  • Options
    ridgebackmax wrote (see)
    I'm still dithering about actaully racing image but if i don't I'd definately be up for volunteering

definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    KJ

Possible

Rich 123 (if not racing)
  • Options

definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    KJ

Possible
    Rich 123 (if not racing)
    Nam & Calf

Barley I put us down as possibles as I haven't discussed it with him yet.

And I happily pass on the Tour - thank you...

• Options
    The etape would be amazing if it was a 2011 place! Nice gesture though, hopefully someone will be able to take advantage.
  • Options

I would love to do it to, wouldnt care how long it took me to get up the moutain either, the views look spectacular. 

Might see if I can organise a long training weekend in the Pyrénées in May next year.  Lots of cycling, beer and a nice mountain lodge with hot tub image 

I had a feeling it could be a bit tricky to find a willing recipiant, given it potentially rules out all those doing Roth, IM Germany and obviously Outlaw (since they cant support and do it).

On the other hand there are dozens of pirates not doing any of those races.

JD, any chance of putting something up on the website with a link to this thread?

• Options

Barley

Can you get some more details, can do the day, but only going straight to the feed point, was going to turn up at a point on the bike course anyway. Cant do the registering the day before.

definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    KJ

Possible
    Rich 123 (if not racing)
    Nam & Calf
    SA & Mrs SA + mini SA

• Options
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

JD, any chance of putting something up on the website with a link to this thread?

done, let us know if you want a section to update on teh site with organisational stuff closer to the event.

http://www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk/

http://www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk/?p=1207

• Options
    JD, cheers, looks good image

Silent Assasin, I dont have any more details at the moment, im guessing it will be a come along and do what you can type affair.  Obviously we'll need cover for whole time the feedstation is up and running, that can no doubt be made up from a core of people that will be there the whole time and others who may want to come along for the morning, afternoon or just a couple of hours.

Im guessing there will be a briefing for the feedstation leaders on Friday?  maybe another briefing to volunteers in the morning but its pretty simple in terms of what will be required and this can easily be passed on to those that turn up later in the day.

Some people may just want to come along and support the race rather than hand out drinks etc.
  • Options

definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    KJ

Possible
    Rich 123 (if not racing)
    Nam & Calf
    SA & Mrs SA + mini SA
    Mrs Cona - might be up for a shift and some additioinal supporting for the pirates

• Options

definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    KJ
    Little Sister (Practically on my front door step so I'd better say yes!!)

Possible
    Rich 123 (if not racing)
    Nam & Calf
    SA & Mrs SA + mini SA
    Mrs Cona - might be up for a shift and some additioinal supporting for the pirates

Been over the Col de Marie Blanque & it's a B!tch of a climb. image The decent off the Soulor is fun.  Not tried the Tourmalet though!!! image

• Options

Better put the missus down on your list!

definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    KJ

Tired Legs

Possible
    Rich 123 (if not racing)
    Nam & Calf
    SA & Mrs SA + mini SA

• Options

I'm up for this - but not wanting the draw either!

definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    KJ
    Tired Legs
    Soup Dragon (not entering the draw, thanks but no thanks!)

Possible
    Rich 123 (if not racing)
    Nam & Calf
    SA & Mrs SA + mini SA

• Options

Thanks SP - thought I'd better update that I'm also not entering the draw.

definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    KJ
    Tired Legs (also not entering the draw)

Possible
    Rich 123 (if not racing)
    Nam & Calf
    SA & Mrs SA + mini SA

• Options
    Also not entering the draw!

definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    KJ (not entering the draw)

Possible
    Rich 123 (if not racing)
    Nam & Calf
    SA & Mrs SA + mini SA

• Options

definite (as can be)
    Barley
    Mr P
    Ditchy and HH (hotel booked and everyfink, can't do the draw as doing Roth)
    KJ (not entering the draw)

Possible
    Rich 123 (if not racing)
    Nam & Calf
    SA & Mrs SA + mini SA
    Mrs Cona - might be up for a shift and some additioinal supporting for the pirates

Not wanting to sound ungrateful, but hardly anyone is able to enter the draw as the etape place is this year, and it's late for making plans - it's a nice gesture from them, but maybe they should save their money! image

If they are keen to say ta for the help, then maybe using the money the etape place would have cost them and using it for something else - like a nice packed lunch for all the volunteers - would be better! image

Recently I marshalled a half IM for race new forest, and they gave us 40% off entry to a Half IM the following year, which is another way of doing things.

edited to say: good p p p p p p p p p p p p p p packed lunches should always have at least one p p p p p p p p p p p penguin! image

• Options
    I mentioned all of the potential issues with the place but OSB emphasised that is was 'spare' and to offer it out as an incentive anyway.

It felt a bit mercenary to go back asking for something else instead, the offer to help with the feedstation didnt go with any expectation of anything more than a thank you (though im sure we'll get a packed lunch aswell).

Lets roll with it and see what happens for the moment, if there is only a small interest in the place in a few weeks ill feed that back.
  • Options
    p p p p p p p p p p p p Penguin lol
  • Options

Yes absolutely re not expecting anything - my main reasons for offering to help are because some of the people taking part are pirates who gave huge support in IMCH and I'm glad of the chance to return the favour, and also because it's fab to see a new iron-distance event at a reasonable price and on what sounds like it's going to be a good course! 

But the penguin is pretty important too..... image

• Options

Though a Crunchie would also be acceptable.

But if it's a Bounty I may flounce off. 

• Options
    I'll take your Bounty then - love 'em!