Options

Richmond Park Cycle Ride Tues 9 March

Okay, I know its a Tuesday 9 Marchwhich probably limits a lot of people, but me and Schmunkee are keen to get some hills into our cycling routes so we are attacking Richmond Park with the aim of defeating the hills.  This is going to be a slowish session aimed at getting up the hills without having to get off and push - so speedy bike people only welcome if you help to get us up the hills instead of speeding past us!   Midweek means the park will be a bit quieter than the usual weekend rush of seasoned cyclists so we can hopefully struggle round without too much embarrasment.

Anyone wish to join us?  I've not started a list cos thats what the list fairy does. image

Arrgghhhh....I've put June in the title and it should say March.  I'll give Catherine a shout to help! imageimage

Comments

• Options

I thought 9th June was leaving it a bit late, but then I'm not known for my training plan regimes ....

Anyhoo, I'm in, even though it's only two days after the Grizzly. It's only just down the road from me and as no-one's prepared to pay for the pleasure of my company in an office at the moment, it's a good excuse to get out of the house and off the laptop for a while.
    I expect there will be coffee and cake afterwards imageimageimageimageimageimage

The List

Kanga
    Soup Dragon
    Schmunkee

• Options

I should add - we are planning to meet up at Syon Park at 10am as thats easy to get to and park plus takes in a climb up Richmond Hill with the classic view from the top.  Route is here but if someone wants to meet at Richmond instead that can easily be arranged. 

Sorry for the date Schmunkee - that will really upset your OCD tendencies.  image

• Options
    I'll catch you in RP. I'll PM you my mobile number in case one or more of us gets lost image

What time's kickoff ?
  • Options
    Great stuff Kanga - I would think we'll be at the Richmond gate around 10.30am but will give you a call if that changes.   I'll have my pirate buff and hopefully a bottle by then so you won't miss us.  Fingers crossed for fine weather.
  • Options
    Ive reported the thread asking RW to change the tittle from June to March.
  • Options

Ta Barlist.  I've also contacted Catherine so it should be put right tomorrow.  With a bit of luck Schmunkee won't log in till then and she'll never know what I did. image imageimage

• Options

Coolio. Think Ditchy is still working at the mo, so probably won't be able to join the party ...

• Options
    Yup, underemployment returns the following week..... image
  • Options

I saw it! image

On the plus side, the list is in alphabetical order image

No it's fecking not! image

• Options
    The List

Kanga
    Schmunkee
    Soup Dragon
  • Options

The List - Tuesday 9 MARCH 2010

Kanga
    Schmunkee
    Soup Dragon
    Mr Soup Dragon (who needs to be persuaded to learn how to swim but don't tell him I said so)

Can we change the time to half an hour later - I forgot about rush hour traffic for Schmunkee.  So 11 am at Richmond Gate  or 10.30 at Syon Park?  But  also open to making it a bit later if it helps - but not as late as June. image

• Options
    Soup Dragon wrote (see)
    Mr Soup Dragon (who needs to be persuaded to learn how to swim but don't tell him I said so)
    And also how to repair a puncture, especially at the roadside image
  • Options
    Is this just for pirates or can a newbie join in?  Just going to go google to see how far away Richmond Park is from me. image  Just incase its open to all............ I would love to get out and cycle with a group. image
  • Options
    It's open to all Saffers.  We are not a clique, I'll 'ave you know! image
  • Options
    Oooooh I didn't mean to imply that I thought you were.....LOLimage
  • Options

Saffers - it's an in-joke.  The Pirates often get accused of being a clique.  Hope you can make it.  it wold be good to meet up.  Will be posting the package tomorrow (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

PS  The eagle flies at midnight image

• Options
    Schmunkee...will you be doing anymore i've got a poxy exam that day so can't make it but would like to if more are planned..?
  • Options
    FF - There's no reason why we can't schedule more in, especially on a weekend.  It's only a weekday meet this time as my training diary is fully booked through most of March and April.  Altho happy to do a Mon or Tue again as they are my non-working days.
  • Options

I'd be up for a weekday ride if you do it again..i'll look out for a thread..image

Edit..meant to say.... or a weekend ride

• Options

Come and join us Saffers. More the merrier - just be aware that I'm more cr@p at cycling hills than I am at swimming. So I might swear a bit. image

And yep - we'll do another one soon and if Schmunks sets the thread up it might have the right date on it.

Edit - As we are now on page 2, for those who haven't looked on page 1 the date is 9 March, not June.

• Options
    Checking out holiday availability. RP has a hill in it? Will I need gears or can I use the single speed?image
  • Options

Ooooh I do a lot of swearing on my cycling routes........I am not very ladylike unfortunately and I was concerned that my language may get me into trouble during a race.....LOL

I would definitely love to be there, hubby is telling me to get a grip and it's too far to travel........image...... I could nick his SATNAV thingie when he's not looking!!!!   Just trying to work out the logistics/timings/kids pick up......maybe Grandma on stand-by if I get lost and not back in time!image

Would love the practice as not been out much on the bike and been sticking to the turbo trainer and spin classes.  I've seen many a thread about getting together for rides and although they are closer to me, they seem way above my league but reckon this one I may be able to stick with.

• Options

Where do you live Saffers?  I'll give you directions!  Syon Park is easier to get to than Richmond park if you're not used to London driving and we can tootle slowly down the Thames path to get to Richmond Hill.  Its never too far to drive for a good bike ride - got to be better than the turbo (not that I've ever been on one).

Hurray!  the date on the title is now correct. image Thanks Catherine

• Options
    Dustboy wrote (see)
    Checking out holiday availability. RP has a hill in it? Will I need gears or can I use the single speed?image

I hope you are not one of those people who say that RP is flat Dustboy!!!  To me its like the Alps! image I'll only need one chain ring - the granny ring.

• Options
    Soup Dragon, I have sent you a PM. image
  • Options

Replied - will see you next Tuesday!

Who's got the list?  Where's the list fairy when you need her? image

• Options

Here, Miss! image

Am scanning numerous pages of a Street Atlas of South Cerney as I am doing Waff's 25-miler tomorrow, but will be doing it from home so adding another 18 miles in the mix.  Then the OCD kicks in and says I should do 50 miles, so adding an 11 mile loop in to make 55 miles.  That should keep my mentor happy and me supplied with choc brownies. Thoughts of a Garmin with downloadable maps seems to be creeping over me

• Options

The List

Dustboy (maybe)
    Kanga
    Mr Soup Dragon
    Saffers
    Schmunkee
    Soup Dragon

• Options

Wow you're doing a lot of mileage tomorrow Schmunks - hope you've got your knickers in the freezer ready!  Good luck. image

I fell over my bike today before I'd even got on it this morning.  I slipped on some ice wheeling it out of the garage and fell on top of it.  Bikes okay but its really painful now down my right side.  I was meant to be doing a long run cos I chickened out yesterday but I'm using this as an excuse.  Someone please kick me out of the door.  image

• Options

My prowess as a cyclist is rubbish, utter rubbish, but I have tackled the odd almost getting on towards thinking about being a proper hill courtesy of coach bassos and Tri God Smiffos. I think the RP lumps are fairly short lived though? Not in the "my legs have just stopped, won't move any more and now I can't get my sodding foot out of the image CRUNCH/CLATTER shards of carbon fibre over the road" league.

Is it proposed to be multi lap?