Options

Route measurement accuracy

Got this as part of an email from the Good Run Guide today.  Given so many comments of "my garmain said..." etc I thought it was worth sharing. 

Measuring Routes

How far did you run today? Unfortunately this question is not as easy to answer as it might seem. However we all measure our runs, it is virtually impossible get a precise measurement. All measurement systems have an inherent level of inaccuracy and none can measure the exact line that a runner took around a route. So, how accurate can we expect to be?

We looked at several popular methods for measuring routes and compared general levels of accuracy.

1.Jones Counter

This is the benchmark for accurate measurement of running routes and is the method used to certify the accuracy of many UK and International races. A Jones Counter is a small device attached to a bicycle wheel that measures distance by counting the revolutions, or partial revolutions, of the wheel. It is not something that can be used by an everyday runner but achieves accuracy levels of +/- 0.1%. Obviously if you deviate from the measured line, the distance you run will differ from the route measurement.

2.Online Route Mapping

We tested the accuracy of the Good Run Guide Route Measurer by measuring four laps of a 400m athletics track using the satellite map view (see picture above) and repeated the exercise 20 times. The measurements ranged from 1598.344m to 1603.518m, all within 0.22% of the correct distance. The vast majority were within 0.1% of the correct distance, although accuracy levels do depend a lot on plotting points in the right place!

3.GPS Devices

We repeated the same athletics track test with two popular running GPS devices. The test was carried out on two different open air athletics tracks, each with a clear view of the sky giving a good GPS signal. Two runners recorded 20 separate measurements of a 1600m route by running four 400m laps of the track. The measurements ranged from 1571.693m to 1734.660m. The maximum innaccuracy was 8.4% but the majority of measurements were within 4% of the correct distance. These tests were conducted with good GPS reception, so in areas where GPS signals are obscured or reflected from buildings, additional inaccuracies could be introduced if satellite signals are delayed or prevented from reaching the device.

4.Pedometers

Pedometers estimate how far you’ve run by counting your steps and using an average stride length. While they can give a guide to how far you are running, high levels of inaccuracy are not uncommon; Ghent University carried out a study on 1000 pedometers and found that most were inaccurate. Three in four were over 10% inaccurate, one in three were more than 50% inaccurate.

5.Footpods

Footpods are small devices worn in or around the running shoe that measure distance by detecting the motion of your foot. They are also not dependent on satellite signals so can be used anywhere. We haven't tested these oursevles but manufacturers claim accuracy levels of around 1% to 2% after calibration.

Summary

No method of measuring routes is perfect. As a guide, the following table shows indicative levels of accuracy using different methods. However, as it is almost impossible to measure the exact route you actually took, we recommend you always allow for a potential error factor of at least 0.5% regardless of which method you use.

Comments

• Options

MethodAccuracy Level Guide *

Jones Counter+/- 0.1%

Satellite Map Measurement+/- 0.25% [1]

Foot Pod +/- 2% [2]GPS Device+/- 4% [3]

Pedometer+/- 10% [4]

1. Dependent on accurate plotting of points.
    2. Dependent on accurate calibration.
    3. Dependent on satellite signal reception.
    4. Dependent on consistent stride length.

* Indicative only - different levels of accuracy may be achieved in different circumstances

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Very interesting, but I don't believe the Footpod manufacturers claims. I can't see that they could be any more accurate than a pedometer.
  • Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

A number of comments were made on the Llanelli half today that Garmins were measuring 13.3ish, with some people therefore assuming that they'd run further and that their times were even better than those published!  This is only a 1.5% inaccuracy, so well within the average inaccuracy of a GPS Device.  I had often wondered at why runners assumed their garmins were perfect whilst other measuring systems weren't, as though they'd never driven with a GPS system in the car!

Very interesting.  I do hope to see a little less of the "My garmin said it was this...", and if not, I'll point people this way! image

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

In my experience Garmins are very consistent - I can't say accurate - but certainly using one on my bike it measures certain points (like a local cafe etc) as an indentical distance every time.  

I don't know how they work - for example do they take a continuous reading or repeated sample points and plot a route from that smoothing the line between the points ?   If it's the latter I suppose that might explain why running in circles on a track might not see them at their most accurate.    

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    Ratzer wrote (see)

Very interesting.  I do hope to see a little less of the "My garmin said it was this...", and if not, I'll point people this way! image

One of the reasons London Marathon season can get so tiresome on a forum such as this. 
  • Options
    I think I may be pointing people to this thread a fair bit ! Pops - if you upload your garmin - can you show it on a map ? My phone gps does that and you can see its pretty good, but you do get it cutting corners occasionally.
  • Options

I use GPS when I do training runs (I have an app for my iPhone), sometimes I just run and let it measure, and sometimes I'll plot myself a set route to follow. I'm always prepared for it to be a bit out but for my purposes I don't find that it really matters.

If I turn up on race day and there's an extra couple of metres on top of what I'm used to to running, I'd like to think I could cope image

Inaccuracies in distance measurement are probably just one of the things you have to put up with when training outside (like the wind and rain, and potholes!), but I would rather have that than have to run on a treadmill!

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Mr. Puffy wrote (see)
    Very interesting, but I don't believe the Footpod manufacturers claims. I can't see that they could be any more accurate than a pedometer.
    Footpods aren't pedometers.  They use accelerometers and some clever electronics so they aren't just measuring the number of paces.  Mine seems to be accurate to within 2%.
  • Options
    The last run I done using a footpod told me the run was 19.3 miles. Map my run said it was 18.1 miles. I calibrated the footpod by doing 10 laps of a local 400m track.
  • Options

Running round a track to test GPS devices is a schoolboy error. GPS measures in short straight lines, so any course with a lot of curves will not be measured accurately,

Anyone who uses a GPS watch and later looks at their downloaded route on a map knows that there is often a cutting off of corners, because of the way that the device takes frequent 'snapshots' of your position. If a snapshot happens just before a corner, then just after a corner, the GPS can't possibly know that you went around the corner. It just assumes you went direct from point A to point B.

Using a GPS watch on a track will be hopelessly inaccurate for this reason. Depicted on a map, the route around the bends will look like a series of short straight lines, and not a nice curved line.

GPS is pretty accurate on the sort of courses that most runners normally use.

• Options
    Makes sense RC, since I have been using GPS my distances have been consistantly the same at whatever pace I ran them. They also match up with Map my run pretty good too.
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I used to use the Nike + footpod, even when I ran the same route I would always get different distances. At times when it was really bad I would lose or gain half a km. I used to to give me a general idea of distance but always took its result with a pinch of salt.

After being caught out in a nasty rain storm, the Nike + (and the ipod it was attached to), stopped working so I switched over to Mapmyrun.com. Once again the accuracy comes down to how well I can plot my route out but until I decide whether or not to buy a Garmin, it's not for a free tool!

• Options

mapmyrun will work very well if you are running on roads. I have often used it, usually to measure a route in advance. Off-road, obviously, it's not much good unless you have a very clear idea of the path (e.g. a canal towpath)..

GPS won't necessarily be more accurate but it does have the convenience factor. I'm no Garmin evangelist but I've been using GPS for about 5 years now, and on balance, would say it works very well -- but not on a 400 metre track!

The earlier comment about the half marathon coming out at 13.3 is about right. No runner ever runs the exact line of a course, and there are loads of times when you veer off it e.g. going round corners, stopping at drinks stations etc. The GPS reading will almost always be slightly over.

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    RunningCommentary wrote (see)

Running round a track to test GPS devices is a schoolboy error. GPS measures in short straight lines, so any course with a lot of curves will not be measured accurately,

Well said.  So should we trust any of their other conclusions either?

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Is it a myth that courses are measured to 101% to ensure they are not short (i.e. a 10k is 10.1k, therefore a half marathon should be 13.23M)?
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    No, it's not a myth although the figure is 100.1%.  The Jones Counter is accurate to 0.1% so to ensure a course is not short they measure it to 100.1% of the distance.  That means a 10k will be measured as 10010m.  Of course the level of accuracy means that it will be somewhere between 10000m and 10020m (give or take a cm or two).
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I tend to stick to the roads for 95% of my running but yes can understand why mapmyrun would be very hard to use if going off road.

About 3 1/2 -4 years ago, I had this massive GPS device. Big blue triangle which you wore on your upper arm, it might have even been from Garmin. Not a bad bit of kit actually for those technological times but didn't work well if it was a cloudy day. Living in England, it did become a factor!

• Options

Jools - It's not a myth but it's not quite correct. AIMS suggest measuring 0.1% over (i.e. 10010m for a 10K) according to the course measurement guide.

RC - You are on the right lines. Measuring a track with a Forerunner or similar is a waste of time. The actual reason is the frequency of measurement. If you measure once every 1-2 seconds (as these devices do) then the length of the track will depend on when you crossed the start/finish line. Other GPS devices (usually using differential GPS) measure far more frequently (I've used devices measuring up to 20Hz) and use intelligent interpolation but are generally used for other purposes. They could however be used to measure the accuracy of the track to less than 1cm if required. GPS is not inherently inaccurate per se, you just need to use the right tool for the job.

Cougie - Differences between a GPS measured route and a map are most probably due to co-ordinate transformation differences between the GPS and map algorithms.Don't worry about it, it's probably not relevant compared to other measurement errors.  

Edit: X-Post with Mr.W!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Don't start him off on altitude measurement and triangulation!  image
  • Options
    405 is once every 2 secs I believe, and I think the 305 is even better than that (maybe 1 sec, can't remember)
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Jokerman wrote (see)
    Unlike some people who add about 3mile to their training runs!
    Do you have someone in mind?!
  • Options

Is there any easy way to "borrow" a Jones counter? I'd quite like to measure one of my favourite routes accurately, and compare that to the map-based and garmin-based measurements I have.

(The route in question is a circuit of Richmond Park, which is quite "wiggly", and hence perhaps prone to the same rounding errors as doing circuits of a track. There are also trees.)

• Options

I think the 405 is more accurate (at least mine has been pretty much bang on in the measured races I've done), hence the need for less positional fixes.

Might be wrong, could do with finding the info on where I read it.........

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

Mike, you need to find a friendly course measurer and borrow theirs.  However, it isn't as simple as bolting it onto your bike and riding round the course.  The correct procedure for an accurate measurement involves measuring out a calibration course of several hundred meters (I can't remember exactly how far) using a steel tape or ruler then riding the course to check the calibration.  Then the full course is ridden several times before the calibration is checked again on the calibration course.

If anyone is interested in doing it then there's a website - http://www.coursemeasurement.org.uk/measurers/index.htm

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info - I'd clearly remembered the principle but not the detail! :¬p
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

MF - if you want to 'borrow one without borrowing one' you can do laps of the parkrun course as its 5k (measured with a jones counter) - look into parkrun freedom - I think its gone nationwide now.

I think the point is that for training purposes for most people mapmyrun is accurate enough - I use the satellite mode for off road, but it can be a bit of guesswork.

Of course you dont get pbs from training runs, so here's where an accurate course comes in handy to compare with your last run on an accurately measured course. Its one of a number of reasons that regular racing can be beneficial (provided its not all long distance) to training because it allows you to peg your progress against your stated aims.

But I really hate it when people have set over optimistic targets and then bang on about the course being long - get over it and get back to training!

• Options
    I don't think anyone who, like me, uses a Garmin believes it to be 100 per cent accurate. It gives me a good idea of what I'm doing and, since I'm not a pro and unlikely to trouble any record keepers (except maybe for 'slowest time'), then it's good enough for me. On the Wimbledon Common Parkrun, it varies between 4.96k and 5.03k roughly, and that's been measured with what I now know from this thread to be a Jones counter. The course has a few areas run through trees and is a bit twisty at times, so I'm surprised at how accurate my watch appears to be, if one accepts that the course was measured accurately. I think they're pretty good over something that isn't simply round and round a track.