Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Ah yeah, good luck Scotch.  Good to see you having a go at the long(ish) stuff.

Dachs - I snuck in a conservative 5,000m opener last Saturday, 16:14, and the next one is a week tomorrow, hopefully up for a sub-16 attempt then.  May be another Southern League race after that, and I've entered the BMAF 5,000m champs, 26th July. I can't see me doing anything shorter cos I don't want to snap anything before Berlin.  Then there's the club 5,000m in September, if you fancy a repeat of last year's smack-down??

• Options
    The Kent 5000m champs. God that was harder than weds night, really went off too fast, horrible last 3 laps that wasimage

Fancy another go though, good pub after too!
  • Options

Odd day today. I had planned to run Fulham parkrun (definitely flat and good surface, maybe short) but a miscommunication with the wife (i.e. she did not read my calendar) meant I had to drop off the boy so local parkrun was needed. Went to the Rye and my foot felt bad: spot of gout. Warmed up slowly and felt like jogging round to get the 99th ticked off. 3,2, 1 and off, dropped into about 15th place and then people dropped back to put me into 10th. Pulled slowly forward up to the first mile and into 8th. Guy in 9th is normally well behind me but beat me on Tuesday so is in form and he kept me honest all the way home.At the finish 19:09.x on the Garmin but official time was 19:09 so 10 seconds faster than Tuesday and on a much harder course.

Most of this was mental I am sure: Tuesday I pushed hard at the start (5:51 cf 6:06 for the first mile) and gave up at the end (6:35 vs 6:10 for the last mile) but today was a good strong finish. Don't know where that came from, felt so bad but ran well.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good work Phil. Hopefully you can find yourself free to do one of the fast London park 5ks. Mentally alone that should elevate proceedings.

Was slightly concerned at going and doing 200s today after yesterday's slight twinge in the back.

But came out fine in the end. Done on a flat pavement rather than the track, in glorious sunshine.

Last 2 pavement averages were 33:xxs. Last track one was 8x32:xxs, very consistent.

Today was a mad

1. 29.83
    2. 31.56
    3. 31.76
    4. 31.81
    5. 32.98
    6. 32.81
    7. 35.04
    8. 33.65

average 32.42. Shame the windy 7th reduced the average, as that first 4 were red hot, with number 1 being mad but not feeling it

Always a great rampage 200s. Probably the fastest you'd ever run, with only the odd race finish beating it.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good work Phil. Hopefully you can find yourself free to do one of the fast London park 5ks. Mentally alone that should elevate proceedings.

Was slightly concerned at going and doing 200s today after yesterday's slight twinge in the back.

But came out fine in the end. Done on a flat pavement rather than the track, in glorious sunshine.

Last 2 pavement averages were 33:xxs. Last track one was 8x32:xxs, very consistent.

Today was a mad

1. 29.83
    2. 31.56
    3. 31.76
    4. 31.81
    5. 32.98
    6. 32.81
    7. 35.04
    8. 33.65

average 32.42. Shame the windy 7th reduced the average, as that first 4 were red hot, with number 1 being mad but not feeling it

Always a great rampage 200s. Probably the fastest you'd ever run, with only the odd race finish beating it.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

off to a BBQ/engagement do now, with an ex work team leader, couple of ex workpals, and also an ex work foe.

things getting sociable! but i'll have a 4miler after to ease that stuff out image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

(apologies for odd double post of the session, and erm...now 4 posts back to back!)

whoops.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not too bad for a one legged man Philip!

Quality racing PB and Simon!

parkrun for me too today. Lack of sleep 'cos of my wayward , dirty stop-out Mrs didn't help the time, and neither did generally tired legs and a bloody fierce wind! 18:24 in the end.

Good luck tomorrow Scott. Anyone else racing?

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Good run Phil, good luck Scott.

Nice 200's SG, I've done 200's a couple of times in the past and really like it. Trouble is, the last time I pulled my hamstring. 

27 miles last week the most for 6 weeks. Need to get another 10 in over the weekend to match it.

40 miles on the bike this morning, glorious weather. Only problem was I came across a sportive, amateurs everywhere. It was just as I hit a climb so I had to weave through all these idiots swerving all over the place as they strained to get up the hill. Still, makes you feel good flying past them all.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nice incredibly precise 200s SG, bit inconsistent but plenty fast.

Good solid parkrun PMJ.

Decent parkrun PB for me today. Set out with the intention of breaking 16 for the first time on this course (PB 16:05). Had the splits written on my arm for when I needed to be at various corners each lap. Kept under those splits for 2 of the 3 laps, but faded on the last for 16:03 on the watch, 16:04 official. So a parkrun PB by the slimmest of margins. Good run though, as I ran my 16:05 here a week before that 15:42 at Battersea Park, and on that occasion I had a couple of fast boys to chase a couple of seconds ahead, whilst I front ran it today albeit pushed hard by my friend/rival just behind. So I could well be in PB shape. The reps are indicating something a lot quicker, but I don't yet have the speed endurance to maintain it beyond 2 miles, something to work on in the next couple of weeks.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

your reps indicate something like 15 dead don't they Dachsy baby? image

and never knock a 1second pb. I'd sell my kingdom for a year 2015 pb... they're all in 2013 and one in 2012 now

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice reps, but how the bleedin' hell are you measuring 200m reps on a pavement to 2 decimal places SG?? image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

He has help.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/laser.jpg

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Erm, its called using a stopwatch bus...

Easier to pre programme intervals for the road than the track too
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Easier, but far less accurate! Not sure about your fingers, but I can't get mine to respond at 100ths of a second reaction, especially not if I'm timing myself whilst running - but then I am old image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Maybe Phil (what's the one leg about?) could devise an algorithm to take into consideration all the variables of SG's 200m session.

What isn't always appreciated at these distances, is the linear velocity involved and also the rate of acceleration. Does one start the watch from a standing start, or when already up to speed.

However, if one is operating from a standing start, it follows that one must also finish on the 200m point standing still. So that's acceleration and deceleration involved, but also ensures that 200m, the whole 200m and nothing but the 200m is run.

If however, one can cope with running further than 200m each rep, we now have the option of 'full speed over the distance'. This will require 'dead zones' in which to accelerate and decelerate.

Personally I don't bother much with the accuracy since the watch runs continually during the session, just a glance now and again indicates for 200's it might have been a 37/38/39/40/41 ish  result. Near enough. Its faster than anything I race at.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus, using a pre set intervals programme on the Garmin means you don't have to have sharp fingers!

Better on the track though, although you do have to have good reactions there. And also you get to see the rep each go.this intervals auto record job only shows me after.meaning i was surprised the first four were fast, whereas up the track i got.to see all were 32s.and get good rhythm
  • Options

Good old 200's. Great distance for reps, if I'm out on the road I just try and find a stretch that takes 35 ish to tempo and use that. Tres scientifique image

Good reps SG and solid efforts from PMJ and Dachs, sounds like a well under 16 coming up for you soon. Sensible to see what you are slightly lacking and trying to target it, something I need to do rather than some short stuff with long runs,! perhaps going training and getting advice from an ex Olympian would be a good idea!

annoyingly had a headache yesterday after a leavers do, even after food before and after the 6 pints! So had a couple of tablets and accompanied the missus to MK park run, she did 25 odd as usual. Then ran back from MK, about 13/14 miles, had dodgy guts for a couple of hours when I got back, probably from the anadin extra, should have known.

with the kid today at grafham water at a triathlon whilst the missus is massaging, hoping to do a few short efforts. Seen the weather for next week? Trainings going to be tough!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I use the Garmin too, you only need four button presses and that's your warm up, intervals, rests and cool down all taken care of. Easier than on the track, and all accurately recorded for a bit of data geekery afterwards.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

The point is, a GPS is neither accurate OR prescise. At any one point in time it is estimating your  location with an accuracy of less than 5m at best. For a long run this is fine, but for measuring 200m it is a long way out. This can be made at least replicable by using fixed reference points on your reps, but either way, recording the times to anything more than a second is meaningless.

• Options
    Quick Pop in..

1:16:32 for 11th. First islander and put two minutes into Paul Cameron (team mate) whose no mug. First 3 sub 69 and Lee Merrien 2nd. Not a bad field!

Very Hot and hilly course.. Suffered a little later on but splits fairly consistent. Long long inclined. Not bad off the training I've been doing and over a 2 min PB. 10km Friday now so it's rest and recovery!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one Scott, and sounds very quick for a hilly course in the heat. Look forward to the full report later!

Right, after finishing my whingeing about decimal places I went for a 15.01M xc this morning image.

It seems after 13 years of running I'm finally beginning to grasp the point of the "S" in LSR! Held the pace right down, and it was most enjoyable, managed a pretty fast finish AND I can function afterwards. Just over 60 for the week and now for a mini taper for the Wycombe Half. You can tell it's nearly Wycombe Half time as the temperature is forecast to reach 30+ degrees image

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Busy weekend of racing for me. 18'35 parkrun followed by 38'12 at Lordshill 10k down in Southampton which is a pb for me (pleased to be saying that well into v50!). Nice fast course apart from 8th k uphill and took 4'15, fast finish to compensate though! Annoyingly a super fast v50 from Basingstoke pitched up to get the ??60 generous v50 prize and nothing for 2nd!

Great running Scott and Dachs, those times are just amazing to me!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

The point is, a GPS is neither accurate OR prescise. At any one point in time it is estimating your  location with an accuracy of less than 5m at best. For a long run this is fine, but for measuring 200m it is a long way out. This can be made at least replicable by using fixed reference points on your reps, but either way, recording the times to anything more than a second is meaningless.

sorry Bus image

take it as a sign against the other 200 seshs on the same pavement then!

I see people use garmins on tracks for mile reps and tempos and wonder how they can claim times too.

The mile should be an obvious one, even if you only think 4 laps = 1mile, that it doesn't even get you to the end of the 4th lap!

Tempos even sillier, and I reckon the garmin tends to show an average pace 10secs quicker than you're actually doing. So when people quote timed tempos on the track in a certain paces, I always wonder.

I can't see them adding up laps and doing the maths on time taken like anoraks like me do image

Still, we can only time stuff as well as we can, that's basically what races are for!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good work Pete, but surely question 1 is, how much quicker could you have done it without racing 5k the day before! Maybe no quicker, as that 5k v 10 is almost to the second, the classic x2+1min I've made up as being some kind of good marker.

Scott, 1:16 with hills is impressive,
    Had to look at your po10 to see where that ranks, only to find that seems to be a big pb image  Are any performances missing from your record, or am I quite woefully mistaking you with Matt for something like a 1:11/1:12.

Will you seek out a real fast course to revise stuff?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Bus, I'd imagine now I'm in for the half this year we'll get an actual hot day for the first time in yonks... they generally tend to be overcast days. One like yesterday would be decent.

I was out at 8am, no shirt today, and was still dribbling sweat immediately, and always a slight shock to see brown pee post run!.

Only an 8miler too for a 50mile week, post 5k and pending midweek 3k. Felt plenty today, wasn't moving with full grace, but still naturally tends to come out sub 7.

Slight dip back towards back/hamstring tightness, but a couple of easy days coming so hopefully dips out as quick

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Apology accepted SG - don't do it again image

It was humid today. I took a drink with me for the LSR for the first time in ages, which was just as well as I was sweating buckets even in the rain. Only orange pee for me post run as a result image

Nice bit of Kayaking past Cliveden for 90 mins just now to round the day off - very nice.

• Options
    No results missing SG! Getting me mixed up with Matt B - only my 2nd HM today! PB by 2:10 or so which I expected to PB in fairness but was damn pleased!

Full report might have to wait Bus as wifi is shit and only available at events! Been wicked so far though!

I will have a go at another half but I will substantially increase training for that! My mileage and long runs haven't been the best prep, so there's more to come but feel shorter stuff is probably more suitable anyway
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

great PB scott - sub 75 is defn in there plus you are faster than Samir now!!

pete - good double racing as well for your PB

Anyone who claims ave pace or GPS distance on a track is a muppet. image  the track is fabulously divided up into easy to use 100m sections or if thats too difficult all the way round is 400m.

been nursing an injury/niggle since tuesdays fast session.  couldnt even get through a lap pf the warm up on thursday.  lots of rest but managed a 6m at about 6.20 ave and no pain.  so hopefully nothing major.

did anyone see the results from BMC grand prix at watford yesterday.  high end field with olympians.  Antony whiteman v40 ran the fastest 800m of the day in 1.47 then paced a 1500m going through 800 in 1.55.   so looks like he is good form for the masters worlds , so no chance for me then!image  hopefully some of the field chase him and blow up

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you do well not to snap given the pace of your usual sessions Dean!  1.47 is just plain madness for that chap.

Easing up to wed now, off tomorrow, 2 x4m Tue.

Then Watford 3k Wed.

I've paced these like an absolute boob before, as Stevie see will testify too.

Moz has given me some tactics, so will do my best to stick to them!!

Pb is 9:44:74, and getting the old calculator out, 9:45 dead is 1.18 lapping.

Therefore, will use that as a benchmark, rather than utterly thrashing the first 400, dribbling slower lap on lap, then a furious killer last 200, leaving me a shell of a man. image