Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Kids were buggering about with drugs at my school back in the 70's and one called me dull for going fishing while they were the cool dudes.

Yeah cool alright, as in cool when dead. There were casualties. I'd call that the modern means of natural selection.

A bit like when drug dealers are shot dead. Death by natural causes (No Country for Old Men)

The blood transfusion EPO stuff is dodgy in the way it thickens the blood up. Forget to increase the blood volume or walk about every 3 hours or so at night and you risk being a gonner. 

Worth the risk? some do.

Back to training then. 10 miles averaging all sorts of paces this morning, followed by a sleep and 20 minutes on the indoor bike.

No EPO involved. 

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

From my upbringing, and talks at schools about drugs, I must admit, I never actually saw what the appeal was. They left out the "massive feelings of high" part. I just thought why would you want to reduce your lung capacity, with smoking anything, take yourself out of control or do even worse. That Leah Betts tape probably went out to everyone similar to our age CC.

I'm fairly severe in that I extend it to alcohol too. Seen way too many pot bellied oafs, or people acting like morons for comfort. My lifetime consumption probably wouldn't fill a half pint glass.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Ric, a 10 is always a tidy effort. Sounds you had fun with it too, with some mixed pace action.

I'd like to be in a similar position to you in 20 years, no job worries, and still fit enough to enjoy some running.

if it's even vaguely competitive in whatever criteria,  in racing, that'll be a huge bonus.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Not sure I could face fishing without drugs image.

Worst experience was being in a car with an unnamed friend in an unnamed country, and we were pulled over by the police.  They ask him a bunch of questions, look at his licence, keep us standing there for about 10 minutes.  Then they move on.  "Just as well they didn't search us" he says, as we get back in the car.  "I've got a load of cocaine in the boot".  Yeah, cheers man.

• Options

I was generally a pain at school and always in trouble. There was a big drugs scandal that was in the papers and I was praised for not being involved by the Housemaster, for once. Truth is I was never into smoking or drugs because I loved my sport too much.

With an HM in a couple of weeks I decided on 10 miles with 3 easy then 4 @ HMP with 3 easy to finish.

Decided to do the 3 easy a 6:45 so the sharp end of easy, then HMP at 6:00 and the plan was to finish the last 3 at 6:45, proving that my HMP was realistic.

Paces were 6:46, 6:41, 6:48, 5:57, 6:07, 6:00, 5.56, 6:57, 6:42 & 6:45. 10.2 miles at 6:28.

I didn't think this session was a given and turned out pretty easy, probably my most pleasing run of the year.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, I was lucky enough to be the beneficiary of a less crowded country where even someone with my lack of skills had a chance to get somewhere.

Ah Dachs, when I was 17 I went fishing to Tring and along the bank a few yards were a group of four older guys all smoking. There was masses of smoke wafting along past me, and I was getting loads of it, and curiously light headed.

The others had a good laugh when they realised I was getting the benefit of their endeavours. I guess the contents of a large plastic bag hidden in the undergrowth should have given me a clue.

As for cocaine. There's a name in birding circles who was jailed for 8 eight years a couple of decades back for trying to smuggle a couple of kg's of the stuff.

🙂

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)

Not sure I could face fishing without drugs image.

Worst experience was being in a car with an unnamed friend in an unnamed country, and we were pulled over by the police.  They ask him a bunch of questions, look at his licence, keep us standing there for about 10 minutes.  Then they move on.  "Just as well they didn't search us" he says, as we get back in the car.  "I've got a load of cocaine in the boot".  Yeah, cheers man.

On the way to France this year, we got to the port early and so were pulled over for a full car check (so that's a tip to all smugglers: don't get there early). I wound down the window and he spewed out his standard "Have you got explosives, guns, knives ... " and I asked him to slow down and repeat it more clearly.
    Me: "Yes, I have knives."
    Him: "What sort of knives."
    Me: "The sort you cut food with."
    Him. "How big?"
    Me: "Big." with a gesture commonly displayed by fisher-folk, hands wide apart.
    Him. "That's OK, small knives are fine."
    Me. "No. Big bread knives and big meat knives."
    Him. "OK. Move on"

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I found a flick knife in among my late mothers belongings. I recognised it as one my dad took off me before we crossed over from France in 1975.

Dachs, rest assured I find fishing pretty dull these days, which is why I don't bother going. Thirty years or more ago it seemed exciting. Times change.

Running. Good run Andrew. Wish I could still train like that. My average today came out in the 7:40's.

🙂

• Options

Amazed he didn't do a full body cavity search just for a being a pain Philip - especially if they were early on and bored image

Very nice session Andrew!  Great confidence builder for the half.

Best thing about my run home was, somehow, I managed to avoid getting completely soaked!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

AG, I'd be surprised if 6 comes out as your half marathon pace.

unless you've built to that over a couple of months, that looks way too casually done for that to be your actual HMP

which is a positive thing

• Options

Very nice session Andrew.

I am familiar with that bloke PMJ. He is probably the same bloke uses the same cloth to wipe the door handles and steering wheels of all the cars in the queue. We had a large ceramic kitchen knife somewhere in the car too.

I got in to enough trouble via alcohol in my late teens, I would have imploded if drugs had got mixed in there too. It was never my thing though, just a few social beers that always got very very messy.

Hour long progression run today, upping the pace every km to end at 10k pace. Pretty light training for the rest of the week; nothing over 45 minutes in duration and then Sat off.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I was on the fringes of getting into trouble around the age of 14. That's when I started the fishing. No record of trouble, casualties or victims by my actions from that point on. It served a purpose.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

apart from the poor fish Ric!

• Options

Good running AG, great pacing. Folk would have thought our training group were on drugs tonight watching us going round a field on the path in the monsoon we had at Luton. It was 8x1k and we had bouncing torrential rain for 25 mins of it. 

Times not too bad considering, 3.10 to start and the rest a mixture of 3.07 and 3.08. Found it really hard to breathe properly with my shirt stuck to my chest! Bit of a tough one but should help with the long drag through the woods in aldershot on Sunday. 

Drugs? Couple of splifs, well I did go to uni, had to tick it off. image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nice session Simon, particularly in those conditions.

Great run too AG, a real confidence builder.  What's the Half again?  Was it Cardiff?

Scott - yes I did have a look at that 5 miler, it looks a good one.  Unfortunately I can't make that one, which is just as well, as for my own sanity I think I need a few months' break from PB chasing (after Watford next week) and do stuff with a bit less pressure.  Might be one for next year though.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, I was talking about people.

It's the lesser of two evils. You can't have it both ways. Either sit quietly and maybe catch a fish, or channel that energy into assaulting other human beings, which from some of the comments I've had seem to be more acceptable.

Best not get over sensitive about the welfare of fish when you're happy to eat fish and chips and anything factory farmed which has a face.

The official fishing industry just scoops whole shoals and slings them into the hold's freezer alive and just lets them die that way.

Fish are nothing. And anglers don't actually kill them too often. They feed them and look after their environment, which those with no connection seem to destroy without a thought.

🙂

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I don't think SG was being serious Ric...

Anyway - running:  SC - solid session in the rain that and good solid run AG.  I hope I get to those paces sometime...!

3 x 10 mins @ threshold for me this morning.  I was hitting 6:10, sometimes sub 6:10 pace for threshold workouts a couple of months ago but struggling a bit to nail that consistently more recently, probably due to running the threshold reps on an undulating loop close to work as much as anything.  Made a point of not gunning the first rep today and held myself back to 6:14 pace.  Second one came out at 6:13 (without much holding back!) and third one came out at 6:11.  Pretty chuffed with that as the last 3 weeks or so I haven't done much threshold stuff due to holidays etc. getting in the way.

Few easy days ahead before another 8x 1000m on Monday image

• Options

So as not to feel left out, I'm waiting for the forecast torrential rain at lunchtime to head out image. Just can't decide on the session today - or indeed anything else at the moment! Very nice local off-road 10k race Sunday or Bucks 10,000m next Wed or even both? And/or mile race instead? Doing both probably not sensible, unless the off-raod and the mile, as legs are feeling somewhat mashed....Decisions, decisions!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

CC82, yes I know it was a joke. Just that there's a major tragedy that has played out surrounding the activity.

I run past lakes, rivers and canals which 40 years ago were literally fizzing with life. You could just stand there and see it. Fish were everywhere.

And now there's nothing. They are almost empty and dead. That's pollution in all it's forms and introduced pests such as signal crayfish. That's what upsets me.

People did that, and it wasn't the one's catching the odd fish. Now it isn't worth the effort trying. 

So today I ran up to and around the formerly full of fish Ruislip Lido. It looked as dead as usual. Luckily my legs weren't half as dead, and 8 miles were knocked off at 7:40 average pace.

🙂

• Options

As bus says, forecast is not improving so got my run in first thing this morning. 13 miles just inside 1:40 so under 7:40 pace. Last few months have been 40 to 45 miles a week over 6 runs but very even so 6, 7 or 8 miles per run. Plan is to start to introduce a few longer ones and compensate with a few more short recoveries, so same volume but more specific running.

I turn 50 tomorrow so all my V40 running is now done. As a V40, a 2:44 marathon is WAVA 78% but by the time you hit 50 it is 2:59: a full 15 minutes slower! It will be nice to jog round Wycombe Rye parkrun and come first in my age category and not come second to bus with his young V45 legs.

• Options

I used to fish and had some success in coarse fishing. Sea fishing was easier as a child though, living ~200m from the sea. Despite being a member of the local club and visiting many different locations I rarely caught anything.

On holiday I was surprised to see how well stocked the sea was. I'd only need to go waist deep before some quite large fish could be seen.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Happy birthday tomorrow Phil. I wonder if one of us types out the song Happy Birthday on here, RW will get a bill for royalties?

IC, as a kid I discovered catching fish was the only thing I was any good at, though it was the mystery of the unknown rather than 'fish hauling' that was the attraction.

That's another reason why I don't bother. I reduced the whole activity to no more than a function of time and money. Once I knew I could catch anything, I lost interest. I concluded that catching fish for the sake of it, is unnecessary tormenting. I've better things to do.

🙂

• Options

Sometimes I think you need drugs just to make sense of this thread image

Arm healing enough to push out a few slow 10m recently.  So hopefully be able to churn out a steady run or even a tempo soon.  Last 19 days I have run , very slow, 175 miles.  Only 2 days off due to crashing my car and feeling sore.

• Options

Good work Dean - glad to hear you are on the mend.

Philip - many happy returns for tomorrow image Enjoy your last few hours of being a young man like me image. So, another 2.5 years before I can beat you at parkrun again eh?

8M road at lunch today. Just avoided the worst of the weather thankfully! OK pace overall (7:29), given a very slow and stiff start, with a couple of big hills. Hamstrings are giving me gyp though!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

casual Dean. I like that you don't even need to answer any of the many concerned questions we all asked either. Northern way I guess image

Happy bday tomorrow Phil. Wow 50! For some reason, with you and Bus, I forget that you do keep on adding years. My perception is the pair of you are still the age I first met you both!

Don't worry about Wava so much though, I swear half of your slowing down is in your head! Like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Ric old son, let me stop you there. Fishing isn't the only thing you were ever good at! What about the running, the anecdotes, and telling me off on this thread. That's another 3 things imageimage

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps AG, that's a messed up calculator you're working to if you think 6.45 is easy pace, yet 6 is HMP! I reckon you'll find 6 Is closer to your "theoretical" MP zone like mine to be honest.

10 today. Things are definitely coming back together, as often the Wednesday medium run felt a bit dull after Tuesday quality. Starting to get back to usual rather than thinking about breathing. 6.56 pace job

Bus, tidy run. Anyway you can get over to my work for a run these next 2 weeks? I'm in my current job for the next 2 weeks, and also am obviously temporarily setting my own schedule, so there's this very limited window.

Come October, i'll be back to team working, so it'll be 4mile lunch runs max again, with the harder/longer stuff early doors.

• Options

Happy birthday Phil (for tomorrow). Do UKA age-groups change on the birthday or the 31st of Dec that year (or is it 1st of Nov per TVXC rules)?

Back on it Dean. Nuff said. Good run Bus, no ark needed then.

Proper easy HR capped run this morning so didn't even cover 7km in 45mins. The plus side is that all my niggles seem to have fallen away during the recovery run.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes Dean, glad things are moving along. I have visions of you like Ron Hill, running in a sling.

Ah ha SG, my other skills were developed over time. Up until the age of around 14, I was crap at just about anything. Even distance running I'd be 10th out of 40 kids.

Still, I've managed to survive relatively unscathed.

As for running, I wonder how they would fare in a race against me now image?

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ah memories of being less fit.

I vividly recall coming 2nd LAST in the whole year XC (ie 2 laps of the field and 2 laps round the outskirts of the school...which I the 0.9mile loop I've mentioned many a time on here), so perhaps 2.5miles in total?

(although in my defence im certain all the fat kids were off that day, and I vaguely remember some sort of slight niggle)

and coming 2nd LAST in my own class's version, no excuse that day, 2nd last out of perhaps 29 (fat kid was definitely off).

I remember having to sprint in, to beat the only kid less popular than me and not come last.

shikes.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Good wishes for tomorrow Phil and welcome to the V50 club. Would be interesting if you, Ric and I were in the same race or parkrun somstime soon. Be pretty close on current form for the V50 honours!