Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I dunno AG, viruses aren't to be messed with in a way you can get through colds etc. For a week or 2 doing jack all now, you can have the rest of your life in good health to catch up on. Better than having an affected 6-12months.

Scott, had a read through on that a while back, but doesn't quite fit, as it sounds a lot more severe, you're talking coughing, and severe breath shortage/wheezing, and I'm not there really. I'm sure one of the many of these doc types would have at least mentioned it by now if it was a likelihood, you'd hope anyway!

So on we go. Might find it just needs a long time to resolve itself. Will have to eventually try a parkrun, but not until a fair few at least medium quality sessions. Just no point really!

Looked up that drug, seems to be a real Russian favourite, out of all those banned from Jan on about 80% are Russians!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Andrew G wrote (see)

My attitude isn't 'whatever makes you stronger,' it's more that life is short and I'd rather live it to the full for a few years less than cling on watching countdown in a pair of slippers.

living life to the full?  i thought you went for a Mara pace half marathon leg stretch on sunday not go skydiving with twin swedish lingerie models.

Scott. im hoping the base is better than last yr and with me starting track training earlier this yr (i delayed the start last yr to peak for the championships) i can have a few more goes at getting a PB.  but its thin margins now, basically to get the improvements im targeting it would put me on the v40 all time list for 1500m which is going to be tough.  plus im another yr older .... image  

SG - thats good news about the tests.   best thing you can do is get to a f**king parkrun.  Put a lousy time down (compared to your PB) and use that as your bench mark for your return.  then measure against that.   if you wait for you to be back to near your top end you will never race again.  just go out and stick some form of line in the sand down.  image

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

SG - sounds kind of good, but annoying not to have a definitive answer by now.

Scott - on the early sessions - that's just the time I have to do them to be honest.  My commute to work is 40 miles / 1 hour.  There's only so much I can do in a lunch hour and post-work isn't an option as it's the only chance I get to see the family during the week.  If I went to the track or just went out for any sort of run after work or when I got home, it would mean missing my daughter's bed time etc.  So, I drive to work or to the track, go for my run/session, get showered, then start work.  My family are still in bed by the time I'm finished, so there's no quality family time being missed and my commute is less traffic hampered than if I went out running at home first.  Plus I tend to need an hour or so before everything's "moving" in the morning, so it avoids uncomfortable running / pitstops...  Everybody's happy image

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

I dunno AG, viruses aren't to be messed with in a way you can get through colds etc. For a week or 2 doing jack all now, you can have the rest of your life in good health to catch up on. Better than having an affected 6-12months.

A cold is a virus image specifically a virus of the nose. 

DeanR7 wrote (see)
    Andrew G wrote (see)

My attitude isn't 'whatever makes you stronger,' it's more that life is short and I'd rather live it to the full for a few years less than cling on watching countdown in a pair of slippers.

living life to the full?  i thought you went for a Mara pace half marathon leg stretch on sunday not go skydiving with twin swedish lingerie models.

I am too old to die young now so I don't need to take it to extremes.

Sister's together always struck me as a bit of a weird fetish but I guess if that's what you're into Dean, each to their own.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Actually, I have just been thinking about this. I would rather be out running than cavorting. Admittedly maybe running in the Alps or riding my bike down a mountain at 60 mph. I need to spend some time doing accountancy in between that's all.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

So you're an Accountant then, Andrew! 

I see the need for risk.

Have you considered becoming a lion tamer?

/members/images/493151/Gallery/lion.jpg

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Andrew G wrote (see)

This thread is like some kind of medical drama these days. 

Have you seen Rachel Riley on Countdown recently! That is living life to the full, I can tell ya image

Very nice reps CC - great consistency.

Definitely good news SG. Drs will NEVER give you a 100% all clear as they need a certain amount of arse covering, just in case. Someone as fit as you is bound to have an "abnormal" ECG.  It ain't normal to run 60mpw week in, week out with 13M at sub 7 for good measure! Dean's advice is spot on! There's been so much underlying worrying about "what if" that you are inevitably going to have it weigh on your mind and have some form of psychosomatic response that translates into real symptoms.  Smash some parkruns or any other shortish race without worrying about the times and the first step is made.  

Thanks Scott. Legs feel like wood today mind! Two sluggish XCs with each tiny hill feeling bigger than any of last week's climbs image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

CC - very nice k reps the other day.  excelent consistency

• Options
    RicF wrote (see)

So you're an Accountant then, Andrew! 

I see the need for risk.

Have you considered becoming a lion tamer?

/members/images/493151/Gallery/lion.jpg

Sings "Wouldn't it be fun to charter an accountant, to sail the wide accountant-sea!"

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Largely good news, SG! I would get myself down to a parkrun...but not to run hard: offer to pace to 19:59 or 20:59 or some such time. then assess how you felt.  know most parkruns would be grateful for your help and you would be in almost a rac-like situation, remembering that parkrun is a timed run, not a race! A serious suggestion. Not sure that the next one is...

Alternatively you can get tickets for the Countdown Final: https://itv.etribez.com/a/itvcountdown/countdown/welcome
    Rachel might raise your blood pressure though, or cause shortage of breath. Probably safer to watch it on tv in your slippers.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I went off Rachel Riley when she dumped her husband for some ponce dancer. I'd like to skydive with her and jettison her with no chute image. I also met my Wife at Uni and when I got famous and hit the big time I refused to let my head get turned by all the adoring women.

Is that John Cleese in the picture, the worlds least funny man?

Survived just over 9 miles home and 9.5 back to work this morning, all very slow and sensible. Cough seems to be receding slowly. I reckon my virus is gone and it's just a lingering cough.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

AG, your bravado is off the scale. I know you're an accountant and need to create a persona when "Loose" on here , but take it easy, you aint a teen anymore!

Aley, compared to what you had and fought back from I can't claim anything really. But yes, and also Dean/Bus, that does seem a sensible plan. Although I'd aim at at least 6min miling, as I've had many MP runs of that pace in the last however many months. That'd be an 18.36 at least.

Will have a look at the countdown. Used to be quite good at that in the old days, but I dare say too many headed footballs, and years of coasting at work without overstressing the grey matter has dulled my abilities.

probably worth it just to see the lovely Riley in the flesh. About as fit as it gets really.

Edit...surprisingly it seems all booked out, looks like you can get last min places on the day! Bit of an ask as it's 180miles away!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Why "surprisingly"? There are plentyu of lecherous old blokes like me who wouldn't chuck her out of bed - let alone a plane with no parachute image

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

SG - Are you suggesting I am creating a persona of a cantankerous, accountant who would rather go for a run than sleep with a bevy of beautiful women, admittedly with good taste in comedy.

I agree on the parkrun thing, I'd do the MP in a competitive environment and maybe just get the juices flowing a bit. I understand if you're a bit scared (maybe not the right word) of putting yourself back in that situation after last time but you gotta get back on the horse.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I originally thought you were a marketing type for some reason. I thought you'd mentioned it ages back, in the free days training when you liked, looking for work. But must have got that wrong.

I was doing reps a couple of months after the incident and albeit breathy, as good paces as ever, over 200-800s. It was always those tempos that showed I wasn't right.

I think it's more rustiness and habit at the moment. It'd be super easy to never race or train hard again and get locked in this perennial 6&4 each day, with occasional short sections of MP, as I've been doing for months.

Will get round to it!

I probably need to whip up some fury like when running today. I was aware of a car wanting to turn into the junction I was just setting foot into, but I was already in it, so 1) it was safe, and 2) my right of way, as he'd not started turning.

Thought nothing of it, but after I'd passed the junction I got some furious bibbing and looks. Surprising impatience, but nicely fuelled the rest of the run, working through some incredibly furious conversations and extreme retributions.
    Built like willow the pansy, it's very definitely the better way to conduct your revenge!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Another thought on the run was to set up an "event", a bit like Pantman's Resurrection thread years ago, but some sort of Comeback to "racing" event for some random parkrun.

Then I thought, do I want to invite a bunch of runners that might smash me and see me come 43rd at a parkrun at best, or witness a collapse in a state of feebleness image 

• Options

Riley -  suppose you're always in trouble when the fit other half gets famous. Give the lad credit, he thought that he'd get her tied down quick smartish..never going to happen though..bit like Lewis Hamilton's 'girl next door' when he started F1.probably best to end the relationship there and then - imagine how much temptation there is in F1!

Cocked up a but on the training front, thought i'd do some lunchtime Tuesday (did 8x 400m ish down the canal) and go to the Luton track instead tonight. But the missus reminded me that she is massaging tonight so need to be back for crowd control measures..so more lunchtime running..probably do the regents pk 'bastard session'

Get frustrated with the lack of track training. Forgive me for being a running snob but every half baked 'running crew' seem to have a track night. Ideally I would like to train once a week all year round on the track, with it being the main training night of the week.

• Options

Even worse in the summer SC what with all these track races and athletics meets. I so rarely get 400s or 800s so do my reps on the street instead.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Was lucky 99% of the time with my old track. Usually got up there and session done before the club that used it arrived, and only on occasions were there more than 1 or so others on there. How people do sessions with 20/30 others I don't know. Do you all start in lane 1 and the first 20metres is a horrible congestion? Do you stagger it? Do some have to go in other lanes, meaning your timings are all off? Who knows!

Once I turned up to be greeted by about 400 kids for some county games.Quickly drove off to Marlow and had to be content to pishing around on fairly safe streets.

Waking up 6 am every day thinking "heck I'm running soon" is an awful first thought most days, but that track/hard session feeling on top is one I don't miss! But hopefully can get to again one day!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

We have Tuesday's and Thursday's sole track use for our club. So no joggers, striders or trotters clubs etc... Can still get busy still, but there is an order in the chaos.  You get into a rhythm.  We start from the 200 start, under 17s from the 300m, ladies from the 400, u12s the 100 start.  long reps use lane 1&2, Sprinters in lane 3&4, hurdles 5&6 etc...

I think it's important sometimes to have perfectly accurate reps rather than rely on garmin estimates, particularly on faster stuff.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Loving the idea of a SG 'return to racing' event - SG running a parkrun flanked by a guard of honour of 30-40 local running names, chanting his name in unison.  Out of respect we would of course not outkick him for the win, although you can't ever rule out Mike Rushton sitting on the shoulder, waiting to unleash his flawless winning finish.  Afterwards, there will be celebrations.  I shall provide the dwarves and blow.

The track in Reading is solidly booked out in summer, so that makes it difficult when I can't do my usual Wednesday.  Recently discovered that the track in Maidenhead is always open to use for free, largely because it's a crappy cinder track from the olden days.  Tried to run a flat out 400 there once and only ran a 75, but then I hadn't warmed up and was wearing jeans, normal trainers and a coat, having just finished off a game of crazy golf with the family.  The bloke doing proper training on the track looked at me like I was a total pisstaker, which I suppose I am.

Hopefully the virus is on the wane AG.

It appears that I'm coming down with something.  Sore throat etc.  Think this marathon is cursed.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

My club also rents the track on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but only two of our training groups use it - my group in lanes 1 & 2 (staggered starts for reps) and the junior sprinters in lanes 3 & 4.

SG - I woke up at  6 thinking 'I know, I will do my run in the evening instead' and then went back to sleep. image

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I quite like that track, Dachs, it's the one 1 mile from my office so serves as a perfect lunch session. I almost prefer the cinder as it's softer and more forgiving on the legs. You do have to dodge the birds paddling in lanes 1 & 2 when it's been raining though.

Last time I went there, there was a woman running in the wrong direction, probably doing 12 minute miles or perhaps slower still and in lane 1. She was annoying.

For the tri club track session we have the whole track between about 10-20 of us. Downside is it's more expensive and there's rarely anyone of similar standard to run with/against.

Just over 6 miles last night pace was a bit quicker but still ended with a coughing fit. Generally I feel better each day now. Good news for you Dachs is that this particular killer virus did not present with a sore throat.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I don't have any issues getting onto the track (unless it's icy!) because I tend to go at 6:30am and I've only ever once saw someone else on it at that time.  This guy was doing lunges in lane 3.  Controlled lunges all the way round.  I was coming to the end of my session by the time he appeared, so I didn't get to see how many laps of lunges he did, but he was pretty close to 400m.  His lunges were pretty good to be fair.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dachs - in connection with your supply of  Dwarves - are you using the word blow as a noun or a verb?

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

If it's a verb then you may be better off inviting midgets.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Grammatically, the context I used it in could only have been as a noun.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

"I shall provide the dwarves and blow."

Definitely could be either......

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ah, fair enough.