Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Long day up and back to Manchester with Phil. Very quick drive up, very slow trip back, and not just down to the result image

Good racing at 2 venues I've enjoyed before. Nice one Pete finally smacking sub 30 and comfortably. I vaguely remember Hanney as a nice fasty from about 2009, and probably the second last chance for a good 5miler on the calendar, depending on how that MK lake one goes.
    Bus, glad to see you had a good time too. Any idea on the 5k route? If it's just the same route without the hill and second lap it must surely be dipping well into the metres overall descent?

Reg, get a race in for goodness sake. They tell me there are quite a few 5k official time trial/races these days...

Scotty! You are like a walking bad luck sign! But you always come back, and strong. So roll on that period.

Love the review there Matt! For some reason I was going to congratulate you on the bathos, then I thought I meant pathos...before looking the exact definition of both up, and realising I probably just meant that I enjoyed the almost dark/gallows humour to some of your comments!
    You should have let matey ruin himself to beat you to the line, and then told him image
    Only thing even remotely similar I've ever had was watching some bloke obliterate himself to beat me on the line at the Silverstone half...the year I started 5mins late (long story), and the year they ranked it on chip time imageimageimage

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

The 5k was same route, but started 30m back and ten minutes later, so must be quite quick! Not sure it counts on Po10 though.....

At the risk of going all Ric-esque on you, I just don't get why anyone would travel 500 odd miles on a  beautiful sunny day and pay good money just to sit on a plastic seat surrounded by drunken chanting neanderthals and watch a bunch of overpaid primadonnas kick a sack of wind round a field - bizarre image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Entertainment innit. Can't beat the theatre and tribalism of it.

• Options

SG - Did you just tell me to get a race in? I don't know, you get a few Parkruns under your belt and you think you're Pete image

I have the Fleet 10k coming up, I wanted to do a 5k tune up, Sat mornings are cycling and Sunday mornings are my daughters swimming lessons.

On reflection today's 5k averaged 175 bpm which is 88% of MHR and 1 less than I averaged for Wokingham HM. Keep that up for 13.1 miles and I will hit my running goal for 2017 image Simple!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Football.

Only been to seven matches. George Best scored in the first, and Frank McClintock retired at the last.

I gave it (football) a go, but could never derive the merest piece of interest from it.

Interested in the results. But no interest in the actual process (game) at all.

Each to his own. It's clearly very popular as an activity to spectators.

🙂

• Options

Good racing at the weekend, great PB there Pete and good chundering from bus: will have to be cautious in Black Park for the next month or so until the rain has washed it all away.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

A bit too much to catch up on as I've been offline for a few days, but clocked a good PR from SG, solid XCing from Matt (and shitting blood - not so good!) and a PB from Pete!

Bennachie Hill Race for me yesterday.  I'd done it once before in 2014 and came 29th in 1:10:xx (8.2 mile hill race).  I was hoping to take a chunk out of that, maybe 4 or 5 minutes, and had one eye on trying to hit the top 10...

Report:

The sun was shining on Sunday in early October, so I had to put some sun cream on, just in case!  From previous experience, I knew that I had to get out pretty fast early to avoid the bottleneck on the first climb, so I pushed the pace and first check showed I was going at 6:00mm uphill...!  Stuck with it and got to the first steep climb and found I was able to keep running which was what I'd hoped for.  Our mini procession did slow to a walk in places but that was fine as it was really steep.  I was surprised to see mega fast Keith Buchan from our running club at the front of our mini procession and even  more surprised when I went past him about 2 miles in  (his current form is about 34 mins for 10k!).  I have never overtaken him in a race before (or in fact been anywhere near him!).  I kept plugging away up the first big climb and then tried to open up the legs on the first descent.  One guy in an orange top came absolutely flying past on the downhill at about 10x suicide pace!  I kept expecting Keith Buchan to come flying past as well but it didn't happen.  At about 3.5 miles he did draw up level with me but then we were about to climb the next big hill and I left him behind on the ascent.  At the top of that hill I was told I was in 10th place, which was a huge improvement from the only other time I've raced Bennachie - I came 29th in 2014.  From then on I was just thinking about trying to maintain that top 10 place.  I was fairly certain that Keith would come past at some point, so I chased the guy down in front of me who is a seasoned hill runner and stuck on his shoulder as best I could through the technical bit.  Just as the technical bit came to an end and we had a good downhill to come, I could hear someone bearing down on us, so I broke for it and put a good kick in.  I felt like I was absolutely flying.  Keith did come past at about 6 miles but I managed to rein him in through the next technical bit and I was pretty much on his shoulder with about a mile to go.  But then he started to pull away on the nice flat trail.  That seasoned hill runner (Rab Murray) also caught me with less than a mile to go and I just didn't have enough in the legs to chase them down.  Pretty pleased with an 11th placed finish though and to take over 4 minutes off my course best.  I'll be back to have another go at this, hopefully next year!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good stuff CC - sounds like a great race and a very good performance to boot!

Don't worry Philip - I managed to aim into the long grass off the path!

Surprisingly, my legs were OKish this morning, so I ran to the station. Slow, but legs held up OK. It was also a beautiful sun-rise, but bloody freezing - definitely should have had gloves!

/members/images/390230/Gallery/GM_Sunrise_Oct_Web_2016.jpg

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Hat and gloves and body warmer were on this morning - absolutely freezing!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I did keep my t-shirt on image

• Options

Phew - tight for time at lunch..Well done SG, Matt, Pete, Bus,CC82 - good racing, good to hear from Scott too.

Me - Nice 14 miler Saturday am with a 6.11 and 6.14 chucked in at the end - did it and back from my house and the Leighton 10 course within it (where I can 2nd to Paul Gregory the first time the new course was run - great runner).

Then to Watford for the footie. hurt my calf when we scored our 2nd against the chair and then managed to fall over and bash my coccyx in the pub toilets (unseen step job). Idiot. So could hardly run to the station this morning, hopefully it will ease up, relays at the weekend!

So 'less important than Scott's' arse daily updates on their way image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good effort CC, can't be upset at 4mins off a course best!

Cold morning run, shirt off at lunch though image

Young lad i mentioned at work got a parkrun (of sorts in). Think he turned up a bit on the casual/no warm up/started midpack and no barcode, but put a mid 20 in.

Am sure he can beat that for a few weeks with a better routine before hand, but will probably need more of what us lot do to get into some real front end material over time.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Lit, nice marathon win by the way...saw the photos, i know you haven't mentioned it on this thread...i expect it's on Skinny's thread if peeps want to rock over there imageimage

• Options

Ha, thanks! And don't worry, I have already begun drafting my race report, which will be even longer than this week's parkrun report (well done btw! image). Lots of great racing on this thread over the weekend, in fact, but my favourite it Pete's sub 30 5 mile as that was my nemesis for ages too and my PB is still exactly 29:59.

Meanwhile, I fulfilled a longstanding goal of my own (to win a race where I would get to stand on a podium with different height steps on it) by winning Chester marathon yesterday. I wasn't expecting my current fitness to produce a time good enough to win, but even though I didn't run very much faster than I expected (2:53:34 rather than my predicted 2:54-5), nor did anyone else (female). Hurrah!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

congrats Lit.  fabulous victory. 

nice work on the PR SG

Matt - i didnt know about marco's problem, he was a decent runner too, sub 8.30 3000m.  Sounds like you had an eventful race too. i will try catch you this weekend at the nationals

BUS - great sub and bunder

Pete - another great Sub, congrats

Reg - tidy solo run.  good things are due once you race the half

CC - nice work on the 11th place.  congrats

Simon - you clumsy arse, hope it heals for the weekend.

I had first xc race this season.  long story short i chased the lead group, held on and over took to sit in the top 10 all race.  pushed the middle lap to try and break some of these young 'uns and found myself in 5th.  with half a mile to go i pushed past a multiple fell running international and chased the next lad.  i pushed hard thinking i will get him in the sprint finish.  but couldnt get to his shoulder to light up the finish.  turns out the lad i was trying to have a drag race with is double england schools 800m champion with a load of 1.50 800m on his record.   maybe just as well i didnt catch him and try a drag race finish as he would have dusted me!  i finished 4th overall and 1st vet.  my best XC scores.  So happy enough image

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

You're quite good at this running malarkey Dean. image

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Brilliant runs CC and Dean but both topped by Lit for performance of the weekend IMO. 1st in a massive event and with such high prize money is quite some achievement (and glad you can still empathize with my lowly targets now you're a marathon superstar!).

The real challenge now is to write a report longer than SG will for his first real race of his comeback (extrapolating for length based on his pr report epicsimage

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

These are all proper races Pete, at least now the farce element has reduced a little image

Lit, Phil was trying to guess which marathon it was on the way back from Manc We presumed for some reason it was a Scottish one. So just massively got that wrong.

Dean, way too early for XC, but we'll allow it for that finishing position image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice one Dean.Always amazes me how you can move up the distances and surfaces and still put in a top performance!

Lit - that's fantastic running, bloody well done!

Ouch Simon!

SG, don't make me go and find some of the old things you used to say about parkruns and parkrunnersimage

Book-ended my sun-rise run with a similar sun-set job for good measure. Again, very slow, bu legs were ok.
  • Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Lit, Phil was trying to guess which marathon it was on the way back from Manc We presumed for some reason it was a Scottish one. So just massively got that wrong.

I actually said Kielder which is Oop North but still in England. It was yesterday and first lady home was 3:19:12.

Well done Lit!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

duno what you mean Bus, I've always thought they were the crem de monte of racing, and the people who do them absolute legends image

Also, that repeatedly insisting on doing them every single weekend ever is the one true glory of the sport.

Ok, that one i'm still not believing image

• Options

PMJ - I can't find a published prize list for Kielder, but I suspect it's not £1250.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey - is that what you got for Chester? That makes you a pro Litimage.

I bet that's the biggest prize anyone on this thread as had (for running!) - though maybe Dachs collection of fruit could start to total up....

...so an ideal opportunity to say, what's the best prize anyone has ever won? 

As a starter for 10, I picked up a very nice Sony Blue Tooth speaker at the Wooburn 10k as a spot prize a few years back....

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Lit! That is a proper win is that with proper prizes!

Great running at the XC Dean. I wish I could move up a gear in the mud, it felt like someone was putting the handbrake on me in my race.

Well done CC. That's a fair chunk you've taken off that. You planning on any more fell/hill runs? Blessed with some monster hills up your way I bet?

I've had some belting prizes at races. A bar of chocolate and some socks for my 71.19 win at fleetwood half which I won by 6 minutes.

A red toaster and a banana for winning a 20mile road race.

??50 and a medal saying 'Leicester Maration 1st Male'. It cost me ??50 to enter on the day. Piss poor really when I entered a low key trail race for about ??3 and won ??50 once.

I did swap a week in the Pyrenees for a regatta fleece and a head torch though. Got my name on a nice trophy though.

Trainer question now. What would everyone recommend as a good racing/faster training shoe?

I've had the Adidas adios, tempos etc but I seem to bust them where my little toe is after not many miles at all. I do like them though but I look a right scruff with shoes that have done about 50 miles and big gaping holes in them with my white socks on show.

I've just got some brooks ones and they feel bloody flimsy. Even in my short time of racing I've seen the quality of trainer going down rapidly.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Forgot about your Pyrenees swap Matt! That Leicester marathon prize is shocking!

Asics DS Racers. Very lightweight, but more room in the toe box than the Adios. I've had various versions that I have binned after 3-400 miles because the mid sole was starting to become solid but with minimal wear to the upper.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

I don't run many road races but I have won £100 a few times. small fry compared to lits haul!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

£1250?!? Blimming hell.  I wouldn't go quoting that too often or there will be a right old turnout there next year image  I remember a mere 10k MT race down our way once that was won in about 41mins the first year, and dished prize vouchers out, and the next year about 15 or so went under that (including me, albeit gutted Fabian Downes turned up to cruise home by about 4-5mins)

How does that stack up against most marathons?  I know Sam A won it last year, surprised she didn't go back with that top end!

• Options

It depends what they're trying to do, really, I think - some will have generous UK-only prize funds to try and draw in some of the top runners. Chester tries to sell itself as a club runners' race as well as a mass participation one, I think, plus they want to emphasise the fact that it's a fast course so it's in their interests to have good finishing times (Ben Fish won in 2:24). They also do it by having a reasonably appealing elite package (free entry, special toilets, free food, cash prizes for top 10 men and women) but they don't go as far as free accommodation or appearance fees like bigger races; they pitch it at decent quality club runners who want a good race experience but are not in the proper elite league. Some of the bigger races tend to go for the big name elites plus a huge mass participation event, and they'll have better prize money (but not always, esp if paying athletes to attend?) but less provision for 'normal' club runners.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Anyway... fancied a pyramid session for no particular reason, and went fordistances I've never used at it before.

200,300,400,500,600,800 then down.

Had originally planned 700s in there too, but thought 6200m of reps at faster than or equal to 5k desired zone would probably be too optimistic, as well as having an eye on actually getting to work on time on a Tuesday for once!

200,300,400m reps 1min recovery
    the rest 90secs

REP    UP      DOWN

200     34        34
    300     53        53
    400    1.13    1.14
    500    1.36    1.35
    600    1.57    1.56
    800     2.41

Threw in a 35 200m to make it 5,000m all in.

Looks pretty consistent, all at 5k zone pace or faster. The stomach was telling me the exertion level and overall basket was right, so happy with that. Good decision to cut the 700s out, as well as keeping the distance down, it's a bit close to the peak of the mountain.
    Would probably stick to a 200-400-600-800-1000 and down next time, for a more classic 5k pyramid.

• Options

It is a lot of money for a race prize and a real bonus but it's also a hard way to earn it.

I have received no prizes. I did get a voucher of some sort for the V40 prize in the last 10k I did. I never actually got round to reading what it said before it found it's way into recycling though. I think it was tantamount to junk mail.