Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Reg Wand said:
    I am merely asking if it's normal, that's all.  I'll take Phil's answer though.

I have no idea but I guess it's less than 50 races for me.
    The big thing in the race count debate is how do you define a race? 

I used to do a bit of road racing with a cycle club and every Tuesday evening in the summer we did a 10-mile time trial, all officially sanctioned etc. Were all those races?

I ran for an athletics club B track and field team, and on a good day the team filled a minibus, on a bad day it was a couple of cars. One day I ran 110m high hurdles, 400m hurdles, 3,000m chase, 5,000m and a leg of the 4x400m relay, on another 800, 1500 and 5000. Do all those count as races? Or a vets league, where I did a 200 as a warm up before an 800?

I have run half marathons as part of a long run and won't even go into parkruns, but I do have a 38:13 parkrun on my powerof10 listing, does that count? At the bottom it says: "Total Performances: 282"
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs - still a very strong race and time considering the conditions.  and considering your race calendar recently its underlined a great few weeks.

Bus - sounds like hard work out there but a low 80s is still a very decent result.  nice one

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Quick read through.
    Well done on the HM, Bus. I'd make sure I have a pile of food at hand after one of those, mind.

Not done so many races lately, but road race number 200 came along in 2003!
    Probably over the 300 mark by now but not by much. 
    What qualifies as a race is hard to say. Some appear to do dozens each year. 
    Last year I was done by one race. The previous year I appeared in six.

Had a day off yesterday. Some improvement but suspect there's more to the sluggish response than mere fatigue. Could be low phosphorus/potassium levels. Always the possibility with having to ingest masses of calcium.

Run 12 miles early on, but with many stops and hold ups. Sometimes it was traffic, sometimes it was on account of feeling I was working too hard.
    Final miles seemed as plodding as the rest but the mile splits indicated otherwise. Final five miles went 7:40, 7:29, 7:24, 7:09 & 6:47. Such is the advantage of an average downhill stretch with a following wind.

🙂

• Options
    Odd reading the news coming in over the weekend and comparing performances. Callum Hawkins ran 60:08 to finish 2nd in New York (winner was 60:04) with a couple of other Brits sub-63.

Andy Vernon won Reading in a shade outside 63 and Charlotte Purdue was first lady home back in 58th place overall (72:15). 

Can't help but think that some of this is driven by prize money. Reading had no fast Kenyans out as first prize was just £1000 but looks like Andy would have won £1000 first prize, £3000 first Brit, £1000 for sub 64 (would have been £1500 if he was 8 seconds faster) so £5000 is a useful purse, but the Brits in New York finishing 10th and 11th got $300 and $200 (Callum $10,000 for second).

Surely someone in British Athletics needs to ensure our athletes run appropriate races and not chase purses. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    What counts as a race is what you want to count, as there isn't an official marker.
    I'm happy to count parkruns, as I race them. I've never turned up at any of my "events" and not given it what i had that day, so am happy to tally 184 up.
    That's obviously not to say all of them were the maximum ability i had on the day, as other factors kick in.
    Maybe if i ever turn up at an event knowing i'll just cruise round at easy/tempo it'd be a different story. 
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That would work as my definition SG. Cheers Dean. Ric-I ate everything I had, and was going to get a burger, but it was so expensive I thought id stick with the steak and ale pie and mash 45 mins away at home - or so I thought! Nice LSR by the way.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Cheers Bus.
    On the subject of how many races we have all been involved in, I had a dig through some diaries in an effort to count up how many I'd been in since 2003. I got up to 2007 where I found a 10k race in which I ran bang on six minute mile average. The note at the bottom of the entry caught my attention - I weighed 138lb's that day.
    Ten years later but nearly a stone lighter I have my doubts about getting anywhere near that pace.
    It's become like that.

🙂

• Options

Hi All, good racing over the weekend considering the weather from PMJ, Dachs and Bus. Dachs - thought you'd just be a minute or so down on your PB, which is still really good going. Still don't know how folk can keep going that fast over so many miles!

Decent weekend for me - kicking off with a trip to St Albans so the missus could do the Parkrun (she's trying to do 40 different ones before she's 40. Then to Bedford so the kid could do his kiddies athletics. I went over the Embankment to do 10 x 3 mins, which was pretty tough into the wind every other rep and hard on the leg too! then a nice afternoon of non league football and then rugby on TV with beer and snacks.

Leg was a bit ropey, but set off on my LSR regardless and instead of doing 12/12 and catching the end of the Leighton 10k, I stupidly did the 17/17.5 hilly loop. Legs were in bits at the end, but took dead on 2 hours, so pace ok in the end. Leg surprisingly OK today, very surprising after yesterday...

• Options
    Glad I didn't follow the 1:30 pacer in the end, 5k split should have been 21:20 and he was 21:40, then 42:40 cf 43:00 1:03:59 cf 1:06:18 and 1:25:19 cf 1:30:49 to end up with 1:36:04. He was even passed by the 1:35 pacer.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    A mate of mine who I'd set some sessions for recently and was aiming for sub 1:25, fell foul of the pacers too. He finished in 1:25:35 having kicked away from the pacer near the end who finished in 1:25:49.

The course actually measured long it seems based on the GPS. Most have it at 13.2 to 13.3 which is unusual, Reading is normally spot on, not sure if the course was slightly different anywhere. Regardless he should have had a pace band or been using the manual lap button.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It must be a tough gig for a pacer at a huge event though.
    If you're a 1.30 pacer, you're starting however far back, so have to account for traffic in the early miles, and then keeping a pretty consistent pace, which is a talent in itself.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Relay on Saturday is apparently 4mile for the long leg, not 4.5miles, and is 3laps of just over 1.3miles.

Sounds more fun than what I imagined would be a big 100metres out and back, and barren middle stretch, with runners quite drawn out.

This way, with 50 odd teams and such short loops it'll be insane carnage. And hopefully mask how we're doing, as legends fly past :D

• Options
    Stevie G said:
    It must be a tough gig for a pacer at a huge event though.
    If you're a 1.30 pacer, you're starting however far back, so have to account for traffic in the early miles, and then keeping a pretty consistent pace, which is a talent in itself.
    Pacing isn't hard and the main rule is that whatever time you are pacing, you come in a bit faster to be safe, so if I am pacing 1:40 I look to come in 1:39:4x or 5x. Second to this is doing it at an even pace, but the reality is that it isn't a biggie. You stand at the start and say you'll run 1:40 and you get a whole bunch of people who say they will do 1:40. For the first few miles, the bunch stays somewhat close but soon thins out so you have lost about 80% of your customers due to over-optimism. At about 10 miles, you send those who are still with you to go ahead and have a last push and they should come home well inside 1:40 and be happy, and you will move through the field and pick up a bunch of stragglers who are glad of the boost they get and you can maybe get a few of these over the line. I've never had someone alongside start to finish so the pace is somewhat irrelevant.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Last week was 2x2m aiming for 1.25 tempo laps, and coming out 1.22, 1.22 1/2 laps.
    This week with Saturday in mind, went  for 3x1mile aiming at 10k pace, or 1.22 lapping off 90secs

Again things came faster than planned

I added up the exact 100ths of the splits, and the 9metres on the end and the miles came out as

So more like 5k really. No wonder i could feel that "need to poooop" intensity feeling come on near the end.

Even my 5k pb was slower per mile than those, so promising, probably!.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice session SG, it took me 5.42 seconds to read it.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fast laps SG. You need to lay down a 5k and 5M soon!

Are your reactions really sharp enough to be self-recording splits to 100th of a second though ;-)

Rest day yesterday, and the legs were surprisingly OK. Easy 5.5M this morning, and legs were heavy but nothing too outrageous.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    i remember getting some jip for taking 100ths on the road for reps once, but thought it'd be safer for track :)

Probably overthinking it, and the 10ths are enough. It's just sometimes if you think it could be a 1.20.99 lap and you report it as a 1.20, you're almost stealing a second off the time.
    Or something.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I think you can round up and down ;)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone really round up their splits like that? Or only the ones over a 90/100?
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I round up or down as I would in double maths.
  • Options

Best not to get too precise....otherwise Dachs and I wouldn't have done EXACTLY the same time (8.55.2) for the 3000m last August....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

I guess mostly just taking the number as it comes is safe enough
    in the real scheme of things.

easy 4 now. Trying to remember the easy part!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Firstly, good to see PMJ was pleased with his race at Reading, good to see a comfortable sub 1:30.

Fast reps again SG.  I'm not sure 3 x 1 mile at 10K pace would have been a particularly useful session, but at close to 5K pace its a lot better.

Re pacers, I don't know the 1:30 pacer from Sunday, but I do know the 1:25 and 1:35 pacers, who are comfortably capable of those times in their sleep, and I suspect if the 1:25 guy was off, he might have been getting duff information off his GPS.  He was only 30 seconds off on chip time, by the way.  At the end of the day, people aren't machines, and runners ultimately need to take responsibility for their own race.

Simon, that 0.02 seconds was a lifetime.  I'd had a shower by the time you finished.

Think I was at the wrong race on Sunday.  Two chaps who I comfortably and consistently beat in the XC races went just under my 10K PB at Eastleigh.  Scott knows them, as they are from Hampshire.  Eastleigh was my preference originally, but I did Reading mainly as my son wanted to do the kids' race.  Bloody kids.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It was along the lines of being a "lighter" session before a race Dachs, like when i'd do 3x1m at HM in the week before..a half.
    Thought clearly it came out as a full on session in its own right.

I remember someone, can't remember who arguing vociferously that it WASN'T a surprise that Reading HM and Eastleigh were the same day, but i'd say the biggest half in the south, and arguably the fastest 10k in the south on the same day IS quite surprising.
    some of those times in the "kids" 3k race, my word. Some 16 year old did 9.01 and i'm sure a 13 year old in the 9.12 type domain!
  • Options
    Yes Dachs and I'm sorry to say I think those particular people / group running helped that c32 min train vet well. Zack and Abdi going off fast and fading although both through 1st 5km in under 15:45 with Dan E showing strength holding out passing them both after 6km and closing for 32:10.. people complained it was windy but he managed to close in 3:04 km and didn't moan so mixed feelings. You clearly have more strength than these guys with the focus on longer stuff / mileage plus the pace is there. I think it could have been perfectly set up! Sorry!

SG - Flying!!! 

Good HM running Bus and PMJ 
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Ah, sorry SG, missed that it was a pre-race session.  I guess the notion of you having a proper race to prepare for is now alien to me  ;).  Makes sense then.

The kids race wasn't quite 3K this year. My watch had it as 1.73 miles.  Having said that, it is a race that is kid-focused but not exclusively so, so adults can enter.  The winner is usually one of Reading AC's junior phenoms.  Can't comment on this year's winner, but the winner is usually capable of well under 9 for track 3000 at the time.

Scott - yes, I've also beaten the other guy you mention twice in the Hampshire League this year.  Frustrating!

• Options
    Dachs said:

Re pacers, I don't know the 1:30 pacer from Sunday, but I do know the 1:25 and 1:35 pacers, who are comfortably capable of those times in their sleep, and I suspect if the 1:25 guy was off, he might have been getting duff information off his GPS.  He was only 30 seconds off on chip time, by the way.  At the end of the day, people aren't machines, and runners ultimately need to take responsibility for their own race.

Agree and disagree. Most people who pace can do the time comfortably, a quick google shows the 1:25 guy has done 75 so that is easy. 

GPS is no excuse, there are mile markers and you have to check pace against the mile marker. He was 21 seconds down at 5k, 27 at 10k, 31 at 15k and 50 at 20k. He then got 20 seconds back over the last k so that is 30 net and 5:59 pace for the last km and a bit. You can see him flying home on the video. 

Responsibility, agree it is up to the person, but if you are tired and trying to beat 1:25 you can be forgiven for getting your head down and just following blindly.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Phil, do you ever think perhaps not everyone is as professionally anal as you? 
    :)
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Reading that Phil I almost feel like I was there running with the 1:25 pacer!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    As the King of Pacers, Philip has standards - nowt wrong with that :-)

As for rounding up or down - SG, please behave. Do you work for Strava? The rules are straightforward. At whatever number of decimal places you are realistically working to, 5 and above rounds up and below that rounds down eg 0.46 and 0.54 both round to 0.5 despite being a 0.08, rounding to 0.1, of a whatever unit between them...