Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Simon, always liked the sound of the Assembly league races but always nervous as they seem to be club members only. How do they work?

Watford opens are up and running, may try and do the 3000m next Wednesday. 

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good luck Friday Dachs. I think I'm going to bow out on the basis that I don't think my legs could do it justice this week! Wish I had a "soft" 55min pb though :-)

Lunchtime out and back along the canal today with 10xfast efforts to get the leg turnover up. These consisted of 60 double paces for ease of counting, which work out around 200m. Approx 1min between, but varied dependent on where things like bridges and locks appeared! All were into a head wind unfortunately! The first 3 were a bit turgid, but the rest came out well under mile pace.

• Options
    I'll be at Watford too PMJ providing no issues. I hope to run just inside 9:30. Basing off a session I did yesterday I think that's reasonable. 3 x 1KM (2:00) in 2:58AV.. Thoughts? 

SG - Good session there and well done for the relays, well done to everyone that ran actually

Dachs - How things have changed over the last year and more that 55 min 10 miler is weak. I'm guessing you'll be looking to take a good 3 or more minutes off that and be hunting 51/52... 

Been keeping consistent and sensible gradually finding fitness still, staying injury free but still nursing small niggles (Mainly PF - sore foot) A few races coming along which will be a test but going untapered as the goal is to try track season and peak for July / August for a really big PB attempt at 3 / 5KM and see what I can run over a 1500 if I get a chance. 

I do plan a 10KM on the 23rd April and I think around 34:30 might be in my range

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Sub 9.30 and 34.30 is the sandbagging award for this year Scott. :-D 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with ML on that.

Come on Scott, even at my least slowest (no speed, let's be realistic) I ran a 33:43 10K, when my best session of 1km's were 5 averaging 3:06. One difference was the recovery. It was long. Six and a half minutes, and I needed all of it.
    First two minutes of that, I was on my face. The second couple of minutes, I was recovering in a more civilised manner. The rest of the recovery I was getting ready to blast another rep.

It was a session copied from Dave Moorcroft (much much slower mind - he was doing 2:30's).
    Whatever the reasons for the long recovery were, they worked.

On the engineered insole front.
    Here's what I did.
    I ripped out the original micro thin insole, and replaced it with the super cushioned version from - well you can guess.
    To get my heel to sit right down at the back of the shoe, I cut some of the insole away. 
    My heel is still supported, but the set up is designed to ensure I run off the fore foot.

Mind you. I run off the forefoot since, in this case, landing on the heel isn't to be recommended.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Slightly pissed off this morning!

7 miler planned this morning. Set off at 6.30, with heavyish legs but nothing untoward, then about 4 miles in I had a very weird pain at the bottom of my right quad near where the ITB joins the knee, which started to spread. it felt like one of those trapped nerve things so I carried on to see if it would ease. It didn't, so I stopped and stretched it out. No good, and the pain just got worse. Tried running again, but had to stop and ended up walking/limping the last two miles to the station. Missed my train of course and was bloody frozen by the time I got there. Oh well, at least it didn't happen on the top of a hill in the middle of no-where last week I guess!

I suspect it is an ITB thing - the other end of the "hip" injury back in Feb, set off by lots of descending last week, with insufficient stretching and foam rolling. I just hope it is one of those that goes as quick as it comes with ice, rolling and stretching - we'll see.....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Scott, while it's sobering that your aim of 34:30 is my pb, that certainly is modest for you. It is a little like me bandying around talk of "going sub 30" when i did that 5miler in the autumn :) 
    I understand it's much better to aim modest and smash it, then aim silly and be disappointed though, especially for comeback events.

Nice deets Ric. I thought i was good at finding fresh new waves of enthusiasm so far into running and racing, but you're something else!

Bus, that sounds a capital A hole. Such an unusual sounding one. While old niggles are irritating, at least there's confidence of what to do and how you came through. Peril of working to a time schedule/commute too! But the once or twice a blue moon that happens is just the way it is.

With my United trip on Sunday, I needed to move things around from the usual flow.
    Also, while i have indefatigable commitment to the cause, getting up early for a solo track session tomorrow didn't seem a great plan, so i ended up putting today's 12x400 at 3k pace off 60s in today.

Haven't had a rest day, well, in ages, as i ended up doing 7 days last week, and with relay sat, Track Tue, 10 yesterday and track today, i could feel that slight leg fatigue!

However, 3k zone around 1.15 a lap, usual drill on the watch splits below

I even had time for an absolute stomach obliteration in the reps somewhere, whilst still keeping to the 1min recovery :)

However you dress that lot off, bang on/ahead of target, and was glad to see that off with a cheeky amount of wind in the air.

Will dust off and ease a 4miler out at lunch which will take me 43 Mon- Thur

Unsure how F-Sa-Su will pan out.

Most sensible bet seems to be F OFF, Sat 13, Sun 8  pre Manc drive.
    Otherwise, if the Sunday was the rest, i'd feel more need to do a longer run on the Monday, which wouldn't feel too gorgeous, having driven 100miles back from Birmingham, the stopping over point. 8 on Sunday would allow a 4/6 which shouldn't feel too bad.

Sorted!
  • Options

Cheers Dachs - Yeah, hovering around the 16.10 area at the moment, bit more endurance needed. Good luck with the ten, think my PB is 54.49, sure you'll batter that, even doing DIY etc.

ML84 - Good spot, yep Scotty you'll do that easily. Just start on 75's (9.23?) and bring it nearer the 9.15 area from there. Hope that clears up OK Bus, had bloody ITB stuff last year.

PMJ - Well Alan from HHH says to just turn up and take a number! I'd check nearer the time, but I might do a 1500m Watford/Battersea 5K double that week. Enjoy the weekend SG, I'm going to be starting early Saturday at 9.30 for the Spurs match, not a great idea tbh. Training tonight at Luton, long run to MK tomorrow, LBAC handicap race Monday morning.

• Options
    Track for me as well today, shade slower than SG but 6x400 at an average pace of 86.1 which is a couple of seconds faster than 2 weeks ago so going in the right direction. Sobering thought that my fastest rep was just inside 5:30 pace and that is what Dachs will be shooting at tomorrow for 10 miles solid. My, how we slow as we age! 

Hope the niggle is just that bus, PITA if not (or PITL I guess).
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Nice reps there SG, always nice to see some hundredths being quoted. 

PMJ, decent reps there too, but letting the side down with only tenths of a second.

I did 4 x 400 last night off 2 lap recoveries, just as a very light leg turnover exercise. I didn't even measure tenths, so that's no use at all. 65, 66, 68, 66. That rogue 68 was the result of some fair old crowding on the track which saw me on the line between lanes 5 and 6 at one point.

Scott - agree that your aspirations look a little pessimistic, especially knocking out sub 3 1Ks in training, but I'm sure you know your own fitness, and it's nice to have targets that you know you can better sometimes. However, you seem to have paired pessimistic forecasts for yourself with wildly optimistic ones for me. 51 for 10 miles? Yikes! A smidge under 53 is possible, but challenging.

Sounds like a bit of a pain there Bus, but hopefully it'll be one of those phantom ones that goes as quickly as it comes.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers chaps - me too! There's no pain currently and I can walk on it, but not going to try running home on it!

That's another cracking session SG!

Such is the onward progress of life Philip, but still very quick by comparison with 99% of those younger than you :-)

Good luck tomorrow Dachs. Looks like good conditions for it, as long as the wind doesn't pick up until the afternoon.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, one of the sillier sessions on my 12 sesh 5k plan is similar to what you did. Except it asks for 5 reps, with "2-3mins" recovery.

Asking for 800m pace

I wonder how many people that's a realistic session for?

Good luck at Maidy. One of my vague "must do again" races, but this year just didn't quite fancy it. However hyped I currently am.

• Options
    Ah thanks guys, I just think based on not breaking 17 mins for 5KM this year those goals seem fair although I do "know" I could probably run closer to 16:30 but I am yet to do it. 

Very nice work SG and I like the accuracy

Good luck tomorrow Dachs!! Think positive :P 
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Hello chaps - been off here for what seems like ages!  Very busy with life and work.  I'm not going to bother reading back through masses of pages to catch up...!  Looks like Dachs is running a 10 miler today - good luck!  Scott is sandbagging with his race target times ;)  Bus has picked up what sounds like a nasty injury - hopefully that buggers off!  SG is still banging out awesome sessions.  Ric and Phil are still running really well.  I didn't see it on here but I know Matt got a PB at Manchester - well done!  Apologies if I've missed anything monumental there!

My running was going very well again.  I then had a crack at Penrith Parkrun a couple of weekends ago whilst I was on holiday.  I had absolutely no idea what sort of shape I was in.  I opted to run it by feel but am slightly disappointed in myself for not resisting the urge to check my split time each mile (as my autolap beeped at me!).  I went out with the leaders after getting round the masses at the crazy start.  There were 3 of us.  At about maybe half a mile, one of the guys checked his watch and obviously noticed he was going far too slow and shot off into the distance.  By about 1 mile, the other guy had put a lead into me, so I was sitting in third with the chasers a good bit behind.  I reckoned I'd gone a bit harder than I should have and as my watch beeped, I checked and I'd ran a 5:33 first mile.  Which would have been absolutely perfect pacing had I been in PB shape as my PB is about 5:37/mile.  I slowed down a bit then and just concentrated on keeping third place.  Procession for the next two miles, both in just over 6 minutes and finished in 18:37.  First guy was 17 dead and second from memory was about 17:45/50ish I think.  No idea if I'd have managed to push on a bit harder had I not checked my first mile split...  If I'd ran a more evenly paced 5:45s or so, I could have ran quicker but it was a good run out and good to run by feel (mainly), which is what I've done on every single training run since early February when I got injured.  It's way down on my 17:27 PB but it certainly feels like it's coming back together again.  I had a week of next to no running after that whilst on holiday which was a bit frustrating, but this week has so far been really good.  7 easy miles on Monday which came out at about 7:00/mile, then double on Tuesday of 12x400 (off 60s) / 4 mile recovery.  On the 400s, I ran a pretty swift 2 mile warm up, then ran the 400s completely blind.  Didn't check the splits until afterwards.  First one was 73, then the rest were 77-79.  Pretty solid and consistent.  Another 7 easy on Wednesday (7:22/mile) on pretty stiff legs, then 6 easy yesterday (7:20/mile, with last mile steady at about 6:37/mile  I think).  Going out to run 10x 60s hills at lunchtime today and then a 15 miler tomorrow.

The knee/IT problem isn't bothering me at all anymore, but I think there is still some stiffness in there - hopefully just need to keep stretching etc. and it will eventually disappear all together!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you've passed it to me CC :-)
    All looks positive there, so hopefully on the mend and times will start falling again.

Quick tester for me today. On the plus side it wasn't painful at all to start, whihc suggest it isn't terminal! However, by 1.5M it was starting to feel uncomfortable, so in an unusually sensible move, I finished the run on 2M. Bit sore after, but have ice on it and will roll and stretch after a bath later.

I'm hoping its OK to ride on later - have cakes to burn off!
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Good training going on by all as usual. SG should have some cracking races off those reps and agree Scott's targets look soft for him. Hope the niggle is nothing much Bus and got to be encouraging you felt able to run if only for a couple of miles.

Continued my haphazard comeback by jumping from Ealing Mile last week to Maidenhead 10 Mile today. Had entered so thought I may as well run and see where I was at. Saw Dachs at the start and as the runners looped back after 1 mile but he was in the leading group and so focused he didn't see me I don't think. No idea how his race went so can't spoil his report and will look forward to it later. 

Anyway perfect conditions and so I started too fast as usual. 3'40 first k and when Rob Foster and Paul Herbert were behind me to that polnt should have lnown that was too quick for me. Settled into 3'50ish k's for a while and hit halfway about 31'30. Then lack of stamina started to tell and a few more passed as the k's started going over 4. The one over the railway bridge was a really poor 4'24 but held it together with a couple around 4 to end on 64'08 unofficial time. Really pleased with that as still early days running again and only about 80 seconds off my best. 2 Friday races in 2 weeks is a bit of a rarity too
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Nice one Pete - well done!

Bus - hope it sorts itself out!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pete you nutter, that's a comedy start having Rob behind you! He did a 59 today. Datchet won the team prize, 56-59-60 I think, so I have the slight rumblings that I could have been in the prizes If I'd turned up, but 1) you never know, and 2) plenty more chances elsewhere I dare say - that's the beauty of running for a local powerhouse club.

Good to see you're going well enough to comfortably make a good effort after the accident. We both need to remember that being able to turn up at races as we fancy and do well is the absolute ideal position, and very easily neither of us could have had it going forward!

Strangely, I don't think I've had a Sunday race in my last 5/6 turnouts!

Bus - you've given that plenty of rest I see ;) But sounds like it won't take too long, which is good news - weve a summer of racing to get involved in old

CC - good news, you're back in the game! Do have a wander round the last few pages though, some borderline epic relay type stuff :)

Lazy day today, F-OFF. Didn't get out of bed til late, but when I look back, last rest day was 2 Thursdays ago!

Off to the big footy clash now, Wycombe. Have missed the last 2 homes due to the relays. First time I've done that in about 20 years!

• Options
    Stevie G said:

Pete you nutter, that's a comedy start having Rob behind you! He did a 59 today. Datchet won the team prize, 56-59-60 

I saw that too. Wonder what odds you would have got for a winning male team of 3 to have a runner outside the hour over 10 miles? Not in my day ...
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    10x 60sec hill reps for me at lunchtime today.  First set of hill reps for quite some time.  First one as always I was absolutely cruising and thought I'd set up my watch wrong as it was never beeping and I was way past where I thought I'd get to in a minute...!  The rest were more along the lines of what I'd expected though.  Solid session though :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, i have visions of Serpentine with 3 in the top 6 or 7, with Phil Wicks 48mins and such when i think of Maidenhead 10.

But i suppose realistically, 3 like today is still a decent effort in the local club scene, which is quite stretched out these days. Datchet won last year too i believe?

The date versus the London marathon always has a knock on effect too.

Take my 2010 and 2011 runs.

• 2010  2nd April - 60:48 - 77th
    • 2011  22nd April- 61:15 - 29th (!)

Obviously other factors, such as 2011 was a particularly quick onset boiling hot day, where i remember feeling dehydrated on the start line, but that'd have been the same for most, so only the time really was affected not the position.

And the 2010 had a bit of a larger field. But still,a 48 position swing!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

CC - different sort of sesh there. How do you record from that though? Just some comments, or do you measure where you get?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work Pete! I love a quick start too ;-)

SG - glad you reminded me of the 2010 one:-) That was my first sub hour with 59:32 for 62nd (ah, remember those days when we could actually race each other?!)

Nice sesh CC - sounds hard!

Bike ride for me this afternoon. Hilly tour of the Chilterns! Not long by Reg standards, but the 34M had plenty of hills, including 2 ToB KOM stages, so burnt off some of those cakes!
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well done on those racing and training.

I would at this point reveal I've somehow crocked myself, however I haven't. In fact, after a couple of miles of jogging this morning, I went home and put on the super light race shoes.
    Did a few strides along the road outside my house and was puzzled at the average pace. Took a bit to realise the mile pace started with a '4'!

Ok, I was only operating for half a minute or so, but it felt good. It's about recovery. It's one thing I put the emphasis on.

Tomorrow I'm going to do that 12 mile loop again. In race shoes. Dare I suggest, a belated journey to the High Wycombe area early doors may soon be on. 
    If I can operate sub '7's why not?

To change direction. While I'm out running, my somewhat portly older brother will be driving about in this thing. 
    I look after it on account of the chances of it getting stolen where he lives are high.

It's an observation I've made since becoming a runner. That I don't get a particular thrill having my eyeballs pushed into the back of my skull due to motorised acceleration.

That said, I witnessed a confrontation between an old lady runner who had come last in a race, and the organisers, because they were clearing the course before she had finished.
    When she complained, the guys snorted and said "tough, you should go faster".

I'm not making this up. She said nothing, walked across to where her car was parked. Climbed on board, drove to the exit, revved up and laid down about 20 yards of rubber in a plume of blue smoke as befits the power of one of the the most powerful Japanese two seater sports cars ever to hit the road.

In the meantime, I've swapped a 1.0 litre Micra for a Honda Jazz. Get in!

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    You need a white van Ric, all the cool kids drive white vans nowadays. ;-)

Always enjoyed hill reps CC. I like the fact it's all done on effort and you're not necessarily chasing times. 

What's a lie in SG? :-) last one of them I had was 4 years ago and last day off running was last May. 

Thats a solid run Pete considering your recent injuries. 80 seconds off your pb is a good effort. 

Bus, I also like to test a niggle/injury daily to see if it mysteriously goes away as quickly as it turned up in the first place. 

Managed some faster running this week which made a change. Went to the parkrun and did a bit of a progression last week. 6.10 for the first to let everyone off into the distance then a 5.40 then a 5.20 last mile. Good fun being able to coast past quite a few runners. Did 10 diagonals of the football pitch on weds and then a 3 mile effort on the canal yesterday in 15.32. 
    Far too many beers yesterday though. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Couple of changes of direction in that post Ric :)

Matt, you have a gift for making it look like you have a casual clueless approach to training, but every so often you reveal the actual truth, that you're probably not outtrained in quality by anyone on here, with no rest days in memory, 90mile weeks etc :)

Sunday long run not doable, so today was the day. Always feels a bit harder straight away. Savoured an extra 2hours to wake at 8 and out at 9ish.

Fancied a run to Marlow, but with a Marlow Bottom variant return.

Despite plenty of wind on the out, it was feeling comfy enough through the residential areas of Marlow Bottom, rather than the steeper Wycombe road version.

Then you get to a road called Ragman's Lane and it's a pretty steep hill over about 100metres.

Got to the top of that, saw a couple more hills in the vicinity, so took a minute out to ahem..."pit stop" and get the heart rate off "ferocious", at around 10miles, and then settled in to enjoy the rest.

6.56 pace averaging.

• Options
    parkrun for me this morning. Decided to try a different one to see if a change would make a difference as I was in a 19.2x rut. Went to Maidenhead which is a course we do a 5k on in the summer which is a big lap of a field, then a lap of a nature reserve on a rutted path and back. parkrun misses the field start and does two laps of the rutted path so less than ideal, especially as the start is in a field with the path on the right so obviously there was a concentration of runners on the path side. Normal silly super-fast by many meant I was back in about 30th by the time we hit the sharp left at 300m and then I worked through the field. Final pace was 13th and had a good ding-dong with 12th: passed him at 3km and he tucked in, dropped him at about 4km and thought that was the last if him but he came flying past at the end. 19:48 so did end the 19.2x rut but the wrong way.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear you're back at CC. \

Pete - Looks like you've maintained a lot of fitness through your injuries. Nice run at M'head, same Dachs.

Bus - Nice bike ride and hope the niggle passes.

Ric - I never quite know which way your posts are going to go!

Solids PR PMJ. Quality sessions from Matt & SG.

I was in the Yorkshire Dales last weekend, I had a bit of a disaster putting a new groupset on my bike. Snapped the chain on the first ride and rolled back to the bike shop, £100 later I'd had it sorted. Trouble is I had a small cassette on the bike meaning I didn't have a very easy easy gear. Ended up trashing my knee on all the hills.

Down in Pembrokeshire this weekend, tried a run despite the sore knee. Went ok pushed it on the hills and burned the quads on the down hills, there aren't really any flat bits.

Hopefully the knee clears soon as the feet feel good so it should be all systems go.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg, who wants to be predictable?
    Being consistent is another matter.

Half of my posts are meant to entertain, the other half are trying to steer people in the direction of common sense.

There's a shooting term which states, "A breach of common sense is a breach of safety". It applies to running and training.

Lets face it, it's bad enough being injured like Pete was. Most of my injuries had their source at some point of impact somewhere. Running appeared to reveal the problem; and no doubt, added to the mess in the area.

That said, I really can't see the sense in continuing to add to the damage already accumulated if already known. 

Yes, there's a point where enough rest or re-hab is enough. And we have to check that out somehow. It's such a difficult area, I find it easier not to go there to start with.

I meanwhile knocked off 12 miles yesterday morning. I averaged just under 7:15 mile pace without being tempted to push things.
    This morning I jogged 5 miles averaging 8:30's. There was no aches or pains from yesterday, I just felt like something really easy.

I'm going to have to ramp up the intensity at some point though. That race (and Pete I wager) at Staines will find me out for sure if I don't.

🙂

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the match up at Staines Ric; what are you aiming for there? Pre accident I was hoping for sub 37'30 if conditiins were good but sub or low 38's would do me now.