Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Beat the Banana.
    That is definitely a race name that wouldn't get past 2022 censors!

Have a scroll back a few 100 pages, there's a decent race report up of the 2017 Wyc 5k  ;)

Shame they don't sound as robust their results keeping then.
    This year they seem to be stashing them on some utterly random shared excel sheet. I hope they update the Maidenhead page, so much easier having them all together.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    ps I wouldn't even want to know what is on "Philip.Jones's list" :D 

Lovely trophy though. I reckon you could hoover up plenty of V55 to V60 stuff if you properly get back in again :)
    Timing your arrival in the V60s just as Pete middles that age range
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Run to HR would be my advice Bus, keeping the effort very easy & never going too far from home/car to allow you to curtail at any time.
    Very impressive 800 Simon.
    Nice podium SG. Definitely less hassle (& cheaper) than Rose Inn. I cried off after biking 103 miles Sunday to cheer on a couple of pals who were doing their first triathlon in Bristol. Great fun was had by all.
    Track Tuesday was 6x800m off 1’ Could only muster 5K SB pace for them so glad I wasn’t racing. Could’ve done at least a couple more though.
    Yesterday was an undulating multi-terrain 13 mile job late on. Beautiful evening for it with cracking views.
    Back on the track at lunchtime for 6x600m off 1’ walk then 6x200m off 1’ walk. Got progressively quicker for the 600s & then a consistent set of faster 200s.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cracking photo that Jools - looks like you can see to the edge of the world! Impressive biking btw

Good work on podium SG!

Tried a run this morning as feeling a fair bit better better. I really wanted to wait until this evening but that would have been a very bad idea! 

Ran to heart rate and kept it under 155 (mostly - slightly worrying erroneous figure of 175 just as I started had me panicking!). Interestingly, slowing down reduced the rate as you'd expect, whereas last Sunday, pre-diagnosis, but clearly infected, it just kept going up until it plateaued around 161 regardless of how I eased off 

4.5M in the end and all seems OK after, except I am coughing a lot - didn't cough once during the run!

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Sounds promising then Bus.

Good training Jools, lovely views, similar to looking west from Dunstable Downs here. The parkrun goes 'along' the ridge so it's never that bad really.

16 x 300 last night, off 100m jog, two sets of 8 with 2.30 gap between the two. Averaged 49, 47 and 45 for the last two. Funny session, recoveries progressively harder. Not really hot, but quite hard getting air in post rep.

9 mile relay leg tomorrow, really good social at the end. Feel for my mate who has entered the fast 10,000m at Walthamstow tonight too.
  • Options
    SG sent me the results of the 2017 HX 5k race: clearly his win and a bit of cigar one at that: best part of half a minute ahead of second place: nice one!

With the "heat wave" I got out early yesterday for 10 up and down the Thames: Marlow to Culham Court and back, think I did that one day with SG and Bus as a social before. Today wasn't so early so it was midday by the time I had finished but still not too hot for a steady 7. Still, nothing like the weather others have: I work in Austin, Texas, from time to time and at 6am today, before the sun rose, it was 24 degrees and 80% humidity. It then gets to 40 degrees during the heat of the day but the humidity drops to 26%. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Always interesting looking at the names and standard over the years.
    My first series was 2006, and since then I've done 34 events across the 6 main races. But only been outside the top 10 twice, both in 2006. Generally sub 18 ensures a top 10.

Wycombe had 248 runners and Burnham had 264 and both "feel" lower than usual, but doing a quick pivot of the data, in my 8 Wycombe 5ks, the average is actually 249.2, so pretty much bang on.
    Similarly Burnham 264 is actually higher than the average across 8 events of 252.5 runners.

Row Labels Count Average of Finishers
    Wycombe 8 249.20
    Burnham 8 252.50
    Wargrave 7 304.71
    Maidenhead 5 229.00
    Datchet 4 207.00
    Marlow 2 367.50
    Grand Total 34 261.52
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Good banked miles PJ. Comebacks are massive on trend, so your glorious return to racing is in sight!
    Days like today always show me the massive difference you point out on humidity and heat.

30 degrees felt fine for a lunch run. But throw in high humidity to a much lower temp and it's a toughie.
    Actually probably felt easier than my usual Friday woods climbs, as I hadn't done a morning sesh.

SC with decent lick as per.
    What relay? Is that the one Dachs used to do. Forget the name which doesn't help!
    Long distance legs by the sound of it.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Another good 5k SG

Good that you are on the mend Bus, are those HRs typical? I did an eaay 5m this morning at av 107 (but its wrist based so reads a bit low anyway)

First evening race in many a year for me this week, with 31.12 on the Hayling Billy trail 5. 12th ish and a trophy for first m50. No woozy spells or tight chest, so hopefully on the mend.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the midweek racers club TR. Great to have the option for a few months isn't it?
    Sounds a good result in all ways, and another one for the Pete-esque extra shed needed for pots :)

On another note, PO10 are really struggling recently aren't they. Still haven't got last Tuesday's Battersea Park 5k up yet - 10 days is as long as period as I've ever seen them take?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    SG - ive done some in the past, but not since a few yrs pre CV. I thought a few short races through the summer would do me good. I was due to do the Brighton Pheonix evening 10k last July, but was too busy on the day at work. Im in again this yr.......i guess that Pof10 are swamped at the mo. Hayling havnt even come up with any results yet, let alone submit them.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    ps PMJ, I only just remembered that Handy Cross 2017 was an absolute scorcher.
    Similar to today, just under, at 29 degrees apparently, looking up the historical data.

Had raced at the weekend, which sort of got me acclimatised but that was a decent week, Sunday turnout and then Tuesday win.
  • Options
    Stevie G said:
    ps PMJ, I only just remembered that Handy Cross 2017 was an absolute scorcher.
    Similar to today, just under, at 29 degrees apparently, looking up the historical data.

Had raced at the weekend, which sort of got me acclimatised but that was a decent week, Sunday turnout and then Tuesday win.
    I think I remember that one: I used to do a Tuesday lunchtime handicap that often coincided with the summer 5k series and I'd do the lunch run easy and race in the evening but the weather was so hot I did the lunch handicap harder and had a beer in the evening. 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Allow me to step in for a moment.

Bus, that heart rate of yours seems a bit on the high side. I'd get it checked out. Around 155 bpm for an easy run seems a bit on the high side considering your age.

Just thought I'd mention it. Good luck.

🙂

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'd agree 155 is not easy and if you're coughing afterwards then you've probably overdone it. For comparison I was running under 130 when I had Covid, I was also running on the flat in cool weather whereas we know Bus is running up hills don't we  :D 
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    TR - Sounds promising

SG - I think Dachs might have done the Ridgeway - that starts near us, Ivinghoe Beacon possibly then down to Malmesbury in Wiltshire I think. Goes past his way.

The one I did on Saturday was the Greensand Ridge relay, basically 33 miles from Leighton Buzzard to Northill a few miles south of Bedford. I have probably gone through the leg before, but it's a nice route from Woburn Fire station, past Woburn house, on and over the M1 and heading towards Millbrook testing ground (hilly car testing type place). It 9.3 miles and there was a headwind which didn't help. Just felt knackered from Thursday training I suppose. Did 56.02, 6.20's. Best time was 2013 and 52.20 odd...somehow!! Just about the fastest leg 3 of the day by 20 secs.

Tired 6 miles half with the kid yesterday. Nothing much before Eastern masters 1500m in Cambridge on Wednesday..
  • Options
    There is also the Green Belt Relay (http://www.greenbeltrelay.org.uk/) that passes close by.

Just saw SG pop up on twitter

https://twitter.com/MarkBrock/status/1538593028704808962
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That's the one SC. I know Joe actually organises his lot around the Green Belt one, which sounds the epic relay to do, but I don't know if Dachs has done it.

Nice spot Phil. I was waiting for the confirmed time for the mile before doing my report, which took until a couple of hours ago!

I'll get it written post evening walk.
    I'm on 97.5miles for the work 10 day exercise challenge and it'd be ridiculous not to embiggen that to 100.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Gosport Mile & 5k then.

Probably my favourite race trip of the season. Always good to get down to the south coast, and a short mileage, yet challenging combo of the mile, then 5k 40mins later is always a blast.

This would be my 4th trip down for the double. Standard can vary, one year an international did around 4.10 for the mile! That was the year of my fastest time here, coming 6th. Yet I've podiumed in the mile another year, and won the 5k twice.

I always think of Portsmouth as 1hr 30 ish, and Gosport as 1hr 40 ish, but am normally caught out by the difference in the 2, and Portsmouth for footy last year (day before Eastleigh 10k) was a particularly bad drive down.

Indications on google had ranged from 1hr 45 to 2 hours at different times of the week, so I was massively surprised to see the sat nav reckon 1hr 33 would be the estimate.

Brilliant. Eaten by 7am, out by 7.15 and looking to get there by 9am, for the 10am start, needing to pick up the race number, settle and get fully in the gear.

Race numbers were to be picked up at the start of the respective race, 1mile apart.
    Luckily, if you were doing the double, a single number and pick up!

Number collection took a surprisingly long time for a small ish race, incredibly blustery and dare I say it pretty cold!
    Did wonder how the mile would pan out in wind, as I've run this race 4.56 in still, 5.10 in heavy wind, and 4.59 still last year.

Worry about that later! Drove back to the end of the mile, near the 5k start, as it makes more sense logistically to have all your gear and drinks ready for the recovery post mile, rather than have to trot a mile back to the car, then another mile back to the 5k start!

Kids race is underway at 9.30.

Met up with a few lads I'd met at last year's race. One had beaten me by 2 seconds last year and looked in good nick, but was trying to play it down :D  
    Same age group too, which you never like to see, as the magical V40 would be in my favour this year, having been no man's land 39years and 11 months last year!!
    (More on that later ;) )
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Another geezer I met down there got a great video of the before hand nerves, start line and the off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3BuslyiSg

Including some familiar face early on jabbering, not realising he had the camera on :blush:

Shows the route and views, plus the stone barriers and gates 20 and 30metres in!!

Usual pre race nerves and wondering how the heck the rarest of distances would pan out.
    However, the wind is now more a gentle version of what felt a beast just 45mins earlier.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Slightly surprised the guy who beat me by 2 secs last year has started on row 2, and we're off!

Strange little duck into the run that I've noticed I do (!) 295 and later 296 races into my running career, and it's the usual mile vibe.
    i.e. Not feeling that hard at all...but decent pace.
    I'm leading for now.....

It starts getting real 0.25miles in, I know I am literally holding the rest of the field slightly behind like some sort of pacer waiting to disappear and let the proper runners go :D 

Half a mile, and a couple of clips (from my mate actually!) and I'm still bloody leading.
    This is way too far out to think about winning it though, and I can feel the Southampton style kit young lad is pacing it.
    My mate and another decent guy are now a 4 piece, ahead decently of the rest. 

I know we won't be caught, but I'm now in 4th, very close to 2nd and 3rd.
    I start thinking that the V40 prize should at least be on offer, as we enter into the last 1/4miler.

Last 100m and I try a little surge, but a surge when you're that far into a road mile at that intensity and most importantly against people also doing the same is never going to be guaranteed success, and I see the line.

Sub 5 looks a given, over the line in 4.57.80ish. I suspect that will be a 4.58 or if I'm extremely lucky a 4.57.

The start has no mat, only the finish, so you never do know though!

Try not to remember that 1st 2nd and 3rd have trousered £75, £50 and £25, and how close I was to the latter two, assuming there's a V40 pot in the bag, as long as they keep to the usual one prize each / top 3 overrides vet prizes etc. Slightly flustered lady manning the trophy station for later seems to confirm that's how it'll work.

Winner did 4.52 so was clear in the end. I note in the final results they slotted in a wheelchair lady seen in the earlier youtube vid as 5th in 5.05 but clearly in a solo event. The actual 5th place in the mass event did 5.10, which was no man's land for them.

Plenty of enjoyable chat after the race, and always interesting to see who is staying on for the 5k.
    Half hoping the faster guys bore off of course :)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    So with a definite sub 5 and probable V40 pot in the bank (ED...it's a SG report, you just know it won't have gone this smoothly), it was time to recover for a bit, have a chat, have a drink, and be ready to go again in 40mins.

This was a bit shorter than last year's version, and probably better to be honest.

Last year I did 4.59 and 18.32, and sort of half surprised myself with both times :)
    Mile that fast, and 5k that slow to win the race!!

It does always feel like the mile is the main race and the 5k is the fun after, but I fancied getting in the medals at this second one.

Only problem was that 2 of the 3 who had beaten me were lining up for the 5k, as was a fast looking youngster, fresh having not raced the mile :neutral:  

However, 2nd place in the mile and my new mate did say if it was up for grabs he'd go for it, otherwise he'd ease it round. He did seem quite monstered from the mile.
    That felt important to remember.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Another great video by the same guy as before for the 5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcl21T-71oA

The twitter link Phil shared delayed the start by a couple of mins, and it was time to get going.

Had switched the vapors to the 4%, knowing a mile of this one is on shingle/traily stuff, and 100metres actually on stones that are difficult to run hard on. Would be annoyed if you'd come down just for a 5k and expected a fast one.

My mate again lines up line 2, but the mile showed that meant nothing, however, the pace is set immediately by a little bloke in hi vis and the black topped youngster.

I'm neck and neck with the mile winner, who is clearly a cautious out sensibly guy.

At half a mile I'm slightly nervous as the front 2 have stormed off, and the Southampton vest mile winner has eased clear of me.
    Not knowing what my V40 pal is doing behind me I'm envisaging the worst case of coming 5th and out of the V40 pot too :D 

However, hi vis short lad has dropped off an absolute cliff and come back hard as you've ever seen, making me wonder what he was thinking setting off so hard, so I'm now in 3rd.

1km in I relaxed a little suspecting that even if V40 matey comes past I'd be good for 4th and a pot.

Black shirt and Southampton vest are ahead, and as we get up to the end of the golden mile in reverse we hit the trail, with a slight incline.
    Splits are around mid 330s so not too bad at all, but this middle mile is where this course does you in.

You get used to the trail and shingle, then turn a bend, and it's into 100metres or so of actual stoniness nonsense that's hard to keep from sinking into.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Am thankful to turn a bend back onto the other traily stuff, and it's a loop of an abandoned Fort.
    Can't hear anyone close, which is brilliant.

Back past mid packers coming the other way, we're back onto the Golden mile route.

Can't "feel" anyone behind, or see any reactions from people, so this is good, I'm on for 3rd to take any doubt about a pot out. 

Last 5km, and in honesty it's decently hard but not too bad at all, so just need to maintain it.
    I see the finish line and realise I've half a shout of a 17xx still, so attempt a monster in, but just miss it, at18.02.

However, 3rd placed banked and not at the mercy of the trophy givers!

Always surprised some come just for the mile, as surely the double is the real quiz, the real attraction. When outside of track meets do you you have the chance to go again so soon?

Seemed a long time to wait for the presentations. Last year there wasn't one due to the whole distanced/covid protocols, so was just grateful for there to be one really.

Actually got a decent shot in, making the race director do a proper shot for camera, and an enjoyable one for the assorted fb folders of memories : <3

May be an image of 9 people people standing and outdoors

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Obviously it couldn't be a SG report with everything going spot on, so the comedy was to come later on.

Watched through all the cash amounts, trophies and vet pots in the 5k, and all the cash amounts and top 3 prizes in the mile.
    Laughed that they'd delayed the 9.30am kids race trophies until this point too, over 2 hours later, no wonder almost all of them had gone home!

Was just awaiting the vet prize in the 5k, hoping it was me not my mate in 2nd getting a second one...

No..it was worse, NO BLOODY VET PRIZES in the mile.

Couldn't make it up!
    The mile is their flagship event, yet no vet prizes. Yet cash payments in the top 3 places :D 

Was even more thankful to bank the 3rd place in the 5k after that.

No photo description available
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    They didn't get the official results out until about 2pm today, so I could breathe a sigh of relief at seeing the official sub 5, at 4.59. Phew!

Seems madness that a 4.57.80 on my watch should have any doubt, but you really can't tell.
    Clearly I either started or stopped my watch 20/100s of a second at either end and in a mile a 4.58.01 would round to 4.59, so there we have it!

When PO10 eventually get that online in a few weeks, hopefully that's a handicap booster too.

Although the 4.59 was the same as last year, being 30secs quicker in the 5k I think says it all about this being the better year's effort.

Put 2 and a half or so miles in as a cool down, said bye to a few peeps who were still around, and an 8mile shift for the day, and time to stop milking it and get going.

Overdid the fluid on the way back and some ensuing queues around Heathrow and beyond led me to a mental and physical game of risk of just about getting to Beaconsfield service station and literally limping into the conveniences for about 2mins of pure relief :D  

But all in, another great trip :)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sinon - sounds a tired leg there. Hope you bounce back for your masters race 

Nice one SG, didnt know that was on. But i was elsewhere anyway at Arlesford 10k, which was a hilly affair. Had a solid run and lucked in with a rare M55 category, which i won and received a mini hamper.
  • Options
    SG, looks like a good day out racing. To be fair to the organisers, there is no mention of vet prizes:

"There are plenty of prizes up for grabs, including cash prizes for the winners of the Golden Mile including £75 for 1st, £50 for 2nd and £25 for 3rd."

Did the first 3 ladies also get cash prizes? 3rd female runner (there was a fast one in a wheelchair) did 6:32. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Took it as read from the "including" bit. As no mention at all of the 5k, which oddly did have vet prizes! No idea on the women cash prizes.. I must admit I missed the envelopes to the front 3 somehow! Am sure there were women top 3 pots at least.

That's the lotto with vet stuff though. I did one a few days into turning 40 that was technically 1st v40 but nothing given. Staines was 5th vet for 8th.
    Sometimes it works for you though but you do get a lot of decent v40s.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work SG - cracking double header. 

Still bloody covid'd :neutral: