Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    and SQ - definitely right with the track gang. There's about 4 of the lads that are good training compadres. I'd guess i'm probably 2nd fastest if you went off drilling 400s for example. The young lad sits on the shoulder of whoever is pacing, but when it's shorter reps storms off.
    But the other 3 are strong for longer distance, offroad, tempo etc, all doing marathons. They're all at the club locally i'll join when the timing is right. It can be odd in a group as you all think the others are setting the pace, or that you're leading them, when they're keeping up. Or they're in a slightly wider lane. All adds up, all a bit different.

Whether it's enough to get me properly piling down the 17s versus my 5k training plan I use most years, I don't know - as sometimes it's reps on minutes, so you're not 100% sure what the pace is...but for now, after years of solo stuff, it feels a nice set-up.

Slight awks is that the 12 stage relay is end of March and with all 12 for the first ever time sub 18 at least, and the front guys pretty decent for a road club, we could qualify for the nationals...though not a given.
    You need to be in the top 26 "A" teams, and I think we'd have been 34th or something last year (40th overall).  But last year had me doing a long leg, with 6 faster guys in longer legs, and me currently squeezing in 11th, that's a good beef up in quality. Probably the first time we've actually got our best squad together - even the year we qualified in about 2017.

This one is in MK too, rather than last year's London. Stuff like that can affect entries too.

Nationals are first or 2nd week into April, the new EA year, which I'd possibly not be 1st claim for.
    So do I want to pay full 1st claim fee, just for this one race? Which is a tough course, albeit 3miles, 100miles away in Birmingham :D 

Either way, seems a great "last" big relay with the current club doesn't it. Then vaguely keep in touch with 2nd claim at a tenner.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    ps heck of a good mileage and long run from you too SQ.

It's funny, as runners we all look at what others do and think "wouldn't fancy that, they must be a machine". Never applying it to ourselves.

One of the track guys has put an insane block of 3months in recently, he's piling 70mile weeks in right now.
    Did 15m day before Wokey, sub 1hr 20 on the day, 13mile hilly at 730s the day after. 
    Friday track, 10+ Sat, 18 today.
    Blooming heck.

Is either going to be in incredible shape for London and his 50mile ultra, or discombobulation!

Awkward week coming. 2 day work meeting near Nottingham which means those 2 days at best will be short pinched runs.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Simon - I noted yr mates Seville time (He was the lad that did 3 consecutive maras that time?.......weeks not days !

SQ - you are going well, building nicely. Good going on the 10k.

SG - you are back to it pretty much full bore now.

My knee is pretty good now, but the outside of the ankle on the same leg (so probably related) is now moaning and needing some management, which is a bit tedious.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR, i've been a full boring bastad for many a year now :D 

Good to see you back, wondered how you were getting on.
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    SQ - Good training, yes Josh Kerr is what I want to be in Torun a week Sunday. Just the win would be nice, don't need the time ;) Better get the glasses on too, the American woman was wearing them too LOL.

SG Also decent training. HHH are trying to fill three teams for MK, although I think the C team will be incomplete. If lots can go, i'll probably be on the edge of the A/B team.

TR - Yes PM did three on the trot, I think one was a charity one with friends helping him out. Hope ankle clears up.

Good weekend away - no training Saturday, beers around Burnley sat night, lovely 10 miler in the morning and finally another win. Should be safe now.

Steady running yesterday, over to Luton tonight
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    6 x 1200 last night, figure of 8 with a 800 loop then a 400 loop. Started with a 3.58, got the last to 3.43 I think. Just trying to get the 800 done in about 2.30 and hang on.
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Just posting to keep a Ron Hill style streak going. 3 days so far.

Just commuting running yesterday ;)
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Good work SC keeping the thread alive! Good 1200 reps, impressively matching some recent k reps for me :)

General easy running this week other than yesterday. 2.5k treadmill warm up then outside for 3 x 15mins MP of 3 minute jogs. Got a bit excited with 6:32 pace for the first, then 33 then 38. Regressive, but a good run nonetheless. Cut the warm down a bit as completely ran out of dextrose tablets, but still 11.7M at 6:59s. 
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I was going to post earlier but I was enjoying the SC tumbleweed show, you've ruined it now SQ.

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Yes lovely to hear from you SQ - But I was secretly hoping there wouldn't be any posts ;)

(600/400/300) x 5 last night. averaged about 1.49/68/49. Last track session before Poland next week.

Off to Nottingham tomorrow as Ollie running in the Intercounties.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Good luck to Ollie tomorrow. I gather the parking at Wollaton is flooded. I used to do rugby training runs there back in the uni days so would love to return from a proper running perspective. When do you fly to Poland?

7 & 3M double recovery yesterday. Knackered today so minimal 4M with strides. 
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Cheers SQ - Parking in a Sainsburys in Beeston! bit of a walk, but should be ok

I'll probably do 30 x 30 secs at some point.

I lived in Sherwood with my mate from Uni (in Stoke) from Sep 96- Sep98, so know my way around.

Flying 5.55 Friday morning from Luton to Bydgoszcz. Then a bus to the town centre and a 40 minute bus to Torun - 4 Euros with Flixbus. Bargain.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Poland is a hike to do a short race :)

Track Friday, 4x1200m off 3mins, until the 4th rep which was 90secs then storm a 400m out.

Usual drill, me and a young lad, whom I'd shared the 800s and 1ks with in recent weeks.

4.10 to ease us in, then 4.04, 4.03, 4.01
    (Didn't check if any of those needed a round up, so just put an xx on the end).

Then 75xx 400m, watching him monster down the track!

Felt quite decent, for the latter 3 in and around the 1.21 lapping of the 800s and slightly better than the 1ks.
    Pleasing as there was a windy bend on the track that didn't help. But nice result.

Am on 55miles this week, after slightly squeezing a few extra miles in for the survival group.
    It's 2 groups of 7, with one machine in the other group having done 100miles so far this week. A guy in ours on 71, and a lot of us between 50-55.
    We're about 26 up at this point in time, but could easily turn around again.

13-15 sort of mixer tomorrow which should secure my highest mileage for a long time. Only 1 session this week though, although the travel midweek adds into the mixer too.

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Good session SG

Just a 30 secs hard/30 jog around the outside of Woolaton Pk before the intercounties on Saturday.

11.5 yesterday in the bastard rain....
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    SG  - and the Torun parkrun! Going to get a badge for 4 different countries apparently ;) GB, Denmark, Aussie & Poland.

Two x 5 miles yesterday, off to Luton tonight.

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Excellent - in another Ron Hill stretch ;)

6 x 1k last night. 3.20/13/09/09/03/01.

Very happy with that, must mitigate with 2 mins recovery and wearing the newer VF's (the old ones have finally given up). Even so, heartening before Sunday and the 3,000.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited March 13

Massive good luck for the weekend, SC. And well done for keeping the thread alive again! Tidy progression in the k reps.

Big week, SG. Was it decent running from the work trip? Have you ever tried the strava route creation feature (I haven’t).

Similar Saturday to the previous week, with 20M at 7:26 average. No concerted blocks of effort, although parkrun started 11.4M in and came out as 6:48s. Destroyed the next few days – a shoulder rotator cuff niggle was stopping me sleeping and it seemed to spread to lower back pain as well. Still there, but not too bad.

Usual slow stuff, before 90 mins this morning including 45 mins towards the end consisting of 3 mins faster (10-15s faster than MP), 3 mins steadier (10-15s slower than MP). Good to do a change of pace/wave tempo style run. 6:25s for the faster and 6:48 for the steadier. This doesn’t indicate MP will have changed, just that it was towards the tempo end of effort. 12.7M at 7:04 average.

Heading to Liverpool on Saturday for a stag do. My drinking threshold is not what it used to be, so intend to skip lunch boozing and head of a long run before joining the fun in the afternoon. Anyone have experience of running along the waterfront from the docks? There is also the Liverpool half starting outside the hotel the next morning, but at £40ish, the thought of doing it on less than ideal prep doesn’t appeal.

• Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Cheers SQ, will try and update regularly! Popped over to the Sub 3 thread and found some of the others hiding on there with those marathon types ;)

Good luck with the stag do - I couldn't even get up to watch the Prague half when it was taking place on the Sunday morning back in 2003. Although we did get up on the podium that they had already erected at about 3am in the morning...
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ah just saw SQ had snuck into convo as was going to put a cheeky comment about SC's consecutive post reign of terror :D 

We're Mid March and SC already has 23 races to his name for the year and I'm on...2, with one the steady Bramley job. 
    Loads coming up soon though.

SQ -  a month later in the year it was at least lighter, and turning left out of Eastwood Hall is a much better bet than turning right. Although you do have a park right next door which could be useful at the right time too.
    But turning left you just follow the road curve for as long as you want.

So got an 8 and a 9 in pretty comfy.
    It's when you turn and realise it's a deceptive climb out, and thus a lovely downwards back!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Am finally delving into the specifics of joining a new club.
    Contacted them for details and let the current chairman know it's brewing.

Just got to get the timings right as Dashers are £10 2nd claim, but 2nd claim rules out the national relays, which we "could" but not guaranteed to, qualify for on the 24th March.

Those are a cruel 6 days into the next EA year...but is it worth whopping full fees for 2 clubs, probably not.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Hardly going to bankrupt you SG
    That’s an impressive set of races SC & excellent reps. Enjoy Poland.🇵🇱 
    Although you seem to be finding recovery harder SQ you’re still getting some decent marathon training sessions in. Very impressive average paces for the 20 & the over/under MLR.
    Just as I’m getting going again I’ve been struck down with Covid again 🤬
    Started sneezing Friday, thought little of it, did 10M inc a 21:42 parkrun Saturday. Did feel strangely wiped after the parkrun but nothing too serious so still did a 5M cd after a decent recovery.
    Sore throat Sunday but legs ok so went out for a repeat of last Sunday’s 17. Started well & legs definitely better without XC in them. Shattered by the end but probably a little better than the week before despite having gone 7 minutes quicker.
    Cold symptoms worsened overnight & by Tuesday morning I knew I was rough. Took a test & the red T line showed up in seconds. Can’t even walk today without feeling exhausted so definitely a fallow week.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Simon - all the best in Poland.......my running is still compromised by issues, so i dont have much to post about.

SQ - great long run and yo yo sessìon, building nicely. No experience of  piss ups in Liverpool here.

SG - ca you specify a change date?
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR  you can just join a club any day you want.
    But 1st claim switches take more consideration as you have to do an online application and then wait for the EA committee to approve it.  And they meet once a month.
    It requires a sign off from your current club to make sure you don't owe anything etc.
    Ridiculous fiddle faddle for amateurs.
    It's all designed to stop top runners jumping around.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - didn't there used to be a period of down time before you could join a new club?
  • Options
    SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Cheers All- yes leaving here early tomorrow for the red eye to Poland. Might do a few strides up and down the road later
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR said:
    SG - didn't there used to be a period of down time before you could join a new club?
    Not to join no, but certainly to race as 1st claim.
    A board of suits apparently meet up once a month to sift through the applications.

Intriguing to know how that actually literally works.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15
    Into the "survival group" quarter finals, and as of Friday 4pm I'm actually 3.7miles behind in my battle.
    I've done 48miles for goodness sake :D  

Track tonight will squeeze it up 6-7, but this guy has averaged about 30 Jan to March, then suddenly boomed a 67 and will beat that this week. Now that's a mad surge.
    He's had Monday off and put 12-13 in 4 days in a row. Assuming he runs tomorrow and Sunday there's no beating that without doing a pointless bit of extra stuff when i'm already on for a 70.

Meanwhile, another quarter final has one guy on 12miles and another who hasn't run at all this week after finishing a HM obliterated, taped up and knee a problem! Must be the lowest mileage ever battle.

The winner will be a guy who did 105 last week and already in the 80s this week, with a 1900 day streak!

But anyway, was worth a try once, but essentially a leeetle bit pointless, and probably a good result going out now before races start kicking in :D 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17
    Bowed out at the survival group quarter stage.

Added a couple of bits late Sat and did 15+1 (!) today, but the opponent did a ridiculous 28miler to end up 86.2 to my 76.2, so you have to know when to leave it alone.

When you're against people with no race aim and it's just literally about trudging loads of miles out, you're really struggling.

Worth a go, but glad to be out of it now, as it could only possibly risk the next 2 weekend races!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    You gotta know when you’re beat SG.
    Dare say you could’ve done another 10.1 this evening but . . .
    Sounds like you were doing a few extras & making minor adjustments in your schedule anyway recently.
    Obviously you were unlucky with your draw, by the sound of it anyway.
    What races you got lined up?
    Feeling better enough to run parkrun yesterday & then 11 today. The latter felt as hard as last Sunday’s faster 17 when I was coming down with Covid but at least I got it done & was able to enjoy some 🌞 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17
    That's it Jools, Saturday was the main squeeze this week, plus an extra 1miler today.
    Wed having been a day off, being 11 a bit longer than usual midweekers too.
    Have kept the extra very easy though.

The top mileages this week are 110, 91.4, then the guy i drew on 87.2 then me 77.2 (think i got them both 1 lower earlier).

So potentially could have drawn the 4 below me, and one quarter whole draw ended 27.1 v 26.5!

But it's been a long saga from about November now, albeit no change needed to what I did for 95% of the time, but I won't bother again.

You can't really compete with ultra types / those without any real race plan when it comes to the crunch.

12 stage relays up next weekend - I've squeezed in as 11th seed.

It's 6 long leg (7.2km), and 6 short (4.8km), and I've finally got a short leg.

It's often been a little longer for those long legs, but the short is always fairly consistent.
    Always the chance they quote a different long leg to what is actually run too.

If we go through as top 26 A teams, there's a National final in Birmingham about a week into the new EA year. But will worry about if we do that first.
    For one thing, the intended new club are only deciding their price structure on 27th March, so newbies can't join until those are set for April 1st.
    Truth be told - NOT qualifying would make the whole club conundrum a lot easier to manage, as it'd be a simple join new club 1st claim, change this lot to 2nd claim - job done. :D  

Our 12 is basically the best we can put in for the first time ever... that is until one of our young lads, who went about 1640 for 5k last weekend posted about having calf issues today and thinks the 12 stage is at risk.
    We do have a travelling sub who'd be sub 18 5k though. But it means someone earmarked for the short will have to step to the long - it won't be me though!!