Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

tough session for me tonight.

4*500m at 800 pace off 6 min rec.  800 pace meant going through 400 in 59 secs and target 75 at 500m. they came out

75, 75, 76, 76

lactic really kicked in on the final 2 reps.  it hurt but im glad I got through it near enough on targetimage 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, I'll be interested to see how the training pattern works out as the season unfolds. 

My memory of a six minute recovery was the first two minutes being totally shattered, the next two recovering in a civilised fashion and the final two having to warm up again.

Decent run for me this morning. Carried on as if having a two mile warm up at which point I cranked the pace up to what appeared to be sustainable. The HR was showing up to 163 bpm. Kept going without looking at the watch until curiosity got the better of me.

I hoped for around 6 minute pace, Garmin showed 5:48. ok.

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

ric - was speaking about the rest of the season with coach last night.  im a bit nervy about running my legs dry in training. and not having enough for a full season racing.  i have to work hard in training to get the speed i need but it might mean i have to take a week or so off mid summer and recover then go again for a 2nd peak.

i have a 1500 on sat and an 800 on tuesday so they will be good markers of where i am.  but its easy jogging 8mm if i can for the rest of the week,image

my average mileage the past 4 weeks is about 27m per week so i have reduced the volume to help cope.

• Options

Scott, wearing a vest over a t shirt is called swag. But seriously - I don't want to wear a t shirt but I need to get used to wearing 1 in training before a race.

Do these guys look silly to you?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8379/8565127151_36f680bba3_z.jpg

http://www.scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/980w/public/2014/03/17/0f48ae365bb92d984f0ca9c2697d6e6a.jpg?itok=E5UPKb0M

• Options

Had a good speed session last night and have a very good training partner who is a little better then me but only 16. Trained a bit with ben waterman who is a speed daemon.

official results are here

http://summerleague.meteor.com/results

haha it's cool Ric. I seem to be unaffected when I speed up around corners so i'll give it a try on the 10k course. It will give a shock to the person who ever is behind me. Would be nice if someone like Nicholas Torry turned up for me to really chase someone but we'll see. Sub 34 guy looks good but Scott has a 33 minute so i'll be watching that closely

• Options
    I think wearing a t-shirt is silly but that's my opinion, I hate wearing much when I run at all- vest and shorts whenever I can image

What was the session Samir ? Have oh chatted more with coach about stuff outside of track sessions?

I am probably in 35 min shape at the moment Samir! Been out of the game, chance for you to catch upimage

Dean- super quality reps over the 500s I'm jealous
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

On the t-shirt issue: it was 0 degrees celsius at the NYC half marathon this year. It was not 0 degrees in Dulwich park the other day.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

agree the clue is in the photos....they are wearing gloves & hats as well. 

samir - swag or no swag, tshirt on a hot day is bad, and not good bad as in superbad, i mean bad as in not good...

• Options

Welcome back Samir - and a great race. I'm sure you know everything about final sprints but it seems to be dependant on when you kick compared to the opponent, and who the opponent is. The more you race, the more you'll learn about this.

Even in deepest winter XC it is short shorts and vest. Hat and gloves optional.

F'ing hell Dean! I did 5x2min intervals today and just about cracked 520m on each one! Pacing getting better: 3:37, 3:39, 3:51, 3:54, 3:52 and learning from Ric last week my warm up was a lot more vigorous (strides, etc).

I think the poor overall pace was due to the red wine that accompanied my dinner last night on Lake Constance. Sadly the Spaetzle that I ordered on Dach;s recommendation failed to turn up. I made up for it with more wine, schnapps, Fernetbranca and then some mint moquitos.

This is officially not the fuel of champions.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, Peter Elliott used to drop his mileages from 80/wk in winter to 20/wk in summer.

Samir, when you turn up to Headstone Manor (unless you want a recce beforehand) I'll show you the worse corner in the whole history of road running. Uphill, blind, narrow pavement with a main road alongside, and a concrete lamp post a couple of feet around the corner too. One year there was a hole and roadworks as well.

That's three times.

IC, I learn from myself sometimesimage

Went out this morning and replicated the 2 mile warm up. As I approached the end of the 2 miles I started to 'up' the pace (like yesterday) and held it there as my HR went from 150bpm up to 163bpm.

That was half a mile at 5:40 miling. After an easy run for a bit I once again rolled the pace through 3 miles for another burst that topped out at 166bpm. That was 5:41 miling.

Ickenham 5 miles on Sunday. Only entered this a couple of days back. Around 20 places left.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Bugger - I was hoping to do Ickenham, but needed to EOD as I won't know until Sunday if I can do it. Mrs Bus has gone into hospital for a major op today so it depends when she is coming out and if I can off-load the kids on Sunday morning!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I wish Mrs Bus the best of luck, hope all goes well.

My missus says stuff the race. Your missus first regardless. Honest. 

You can ignore her if you want. When my lad was being born, not only did I go home to eat and sleep, I also was watching M. Johnson break the 200m world record.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers Ric.

She's already cost me a day's training today image

• Options

Tonight is Watford Open 3000m and there was a plan to go with Bus but that got canned (wish Mrs Bus a speedy recovery) and SG (who is crocked and seeing the physio so decided to play some footie, f**king stupid lad) so I decided to put it off for a month and do some track work instead. Need speed so 8x400m at 3000m pace was the plan and I reckoned 80 seconds a lap (5:20 mile or 10:00 for 3k) would do. The last track session I did was 800m reps at 90 seconds a lap so a big step up. Nice long recoveries of 100m walk and 300m jog so about 2:30 recovery.

Came out at 1:22.0, 1:22.1, 1:22.3, 1:19.4, 1:20.3, 1:19.0, 1:17.5, 1:19.4. Started outside 1:20 and then I got up onto my toes and started using the arms and the times came down. Did a silly fast penultimate one in 1:17 which says 5:09 pace.

Easy plan now: recovery tomorrow, Ealing Mile Friday, recovery Saturday, Wargrave 10k Sunday, recovery Monday, Vets AC 5 mile in Battersea Park Tuesday.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

What's the thinking behind the very long recoveries PMJ? Is that a session with a particular upcoming race in mind?

• Options

Only took Samir 2 years to join a club and sort some structred training out....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/beginners/need-advice/204810.html

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Evening gents,

Bit quiet from me as I have a rotator cuff injury in my shoulder. Very painful, but I've been on some groovy painkillers by the name of Zapain for 4 days and I'm pretty sure I can now time travel! Ha ha!

Doctor said it is probably an overuse injury caused by running too much after a week off - so a week off, then down the dosage until it's worked out of my system and pray the pain is gone.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good to see some speed Phil, congrats on your sub 18, 5000m. I haven't trained on a track for ages, probably the hassle of going there and paying.

Was SG, injured before football or after? 

Ss, I've had that injury, yes painful. Can't even have a cup of tea without a twinge. Still, the painkillers might cover all the other niggles and illnesses you're about to getimage

Now that I've mentioned a prevention better than cure situation, don't. There's a guy out there who took drugs with that in mind and three years later lost both kidneys.

🙂

• Options
    marrows wrote (see)

What's the thinking behind the very long recoveries PMJ? Is that a session with a particular upcoming race in mind?

I just need to get leg speed up in general and longer recoveries mean I can do the reps faster. I have been doing reps at 5k pace and need to move up to 3k and mile pace. I have a mile race tomorrow and one at the end of June but faster legs in general have to be good. I probably won't go shorter than 400m so no 200m reps and I probably won't do solely 400s but over the summer a mix of 4s and 8s whereas over the winter 8s, 10s and 12s at a slower pace and shorter recoveries. I also like summer track with long recoveries whereas in winter don't want to slow down as I get cold.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Philip. Pretty swift reps those and sounds like a sensible plan to up the leg speed.

Ouch Stevie - all the best for a swift recovery!

Managed to squeeze in a run at lunch time today. 9.2M hilly xc. It was supposed to be a long one with the (vain!) hope of a race at the weekend, but a) I ran out of time and b) I ran out of energy! I was surprised how slow and lethargic it came out after two days rest, but sometimes it just works like that I guess.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I had a severe shock to the system last night. A mate who takes sessions for another club asked if I'd like to join their 10x 300 session off 60sec recovery. Every rep I seemed to go through 100 in 14/15 and all were 48/49.xx barring a low out 47 on the last. Garmin has rounded them up to 50 on my phone app. How the hell do you run 2 laps quicker than that Dean?!?!?! ???? in fact my garmin shows that's probably around my projected 1500 pace which is the reason I will prob never run a 1500! image

Had a 5/6 minute jog then did a mile at 10k goal pace ish which felt ridiculously slow while still on tired legs. Came out at 5.08.

A bigger shock to the system has been a teething 1 year old! Jesus wept! :-/
  • Options

Know what you mean Matt, most of the lads at our club are 800/1500 guys and we did 10 x 200m off a minute last week. Mine were all 30 secs average and I felt rotten! 

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Thanks for the explanation PMJ.

Matt3 some people run marathons faster than I do 200m reps!

• Options

First Friday of the Month so that means Ealing mile. I run out about 4.75 miles which is a good warm up but maybe a tad too long and got to the 12:30 race at about 12:23. Line up and we are off and even in the first few steps I am out in front. I wonder when the pack will pass but there is nobody coming by and by 300m in it is clear I am out front with just one guy sitting on my shoulder and breathing heavily. I concentrate on keeping good form and reach the halfway fine which is the bottom of the course. Start to come uphill and the guy behind pulls along and passes but encourages me to follow. I dig in and get to the final avenue with him ahead but I push all the way to the finish and hit the garmin for 5:23 which is a new PB so very happy. A few chats and then 4.75 miles back home for a good day running. Official figure is 5:22.5 which will get rounded up to 5:23 on po10. The guy who beat me got 7 seconds on me over that last bit and looking back he was 4 seconds ahead last month, but he improved from 5:31 to 5:15.

I need to go back and do a few more 400m reps and get them down to about 75 seconds if I can and then have another go at the start of July. reckon I can get a 5.1x. I also have a track mile at the end of June and am hoping for a 5.0x.

Race again on Sunday, Wargrave 10k. Can't decide if a day off or a light recovery will do me better.

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done Phil, good running

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ditto to that - good result in the middle of a double digit lunchtime run Philip!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well, in the absence of being able to defend my title at Run the Rock today, or do the Ickenham 5 tomorrow, I managed to sneak out for an hour for a parkrun!

Nearly turned back though as the rain was torrential when I arrived! After 5 pints and fish and chips last night I wasn't expecting much (other than probably being sick!). Anyway, two very young lads and another guy i his twenties shot off and I thought that at least one of these would slow up fairly soon, so just ran my own pace. By halfway I'd reeled two of them in, but the very young guy in a Wycombe Phoenix vest was still some way ahead, though I could see he was slowing. With about 1.5k to go I decided that I needed to get past and put a gap between us as there would be no way I'd out sprint him (not without seeing that fish again anyway!!) so that's what I did. As I went past I could hear he was suffering, so I put maybe 300m between us. That effort made me start to retch, but no matter as the job was done by then and I managed to take the win (sorry, fastest finish!) with a little to spare. Only 18:14, but bit slippery and muddy in places, and those steps always cost time!  5:46, 5:56, 5:53 and 5:58 easing up a tad on the last 0.1

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Nice outing on Fri Phil, 10 miles with a blow out mile in the middle! I think with a shorter more intense warm up you'd automatically take some time off that. 

Congrats on the win Bus. 5 pints and fish and chips is a pre fell race diet isn't it? 

a 10k on the seafront tomorrow for me, weathers supposed to be ok but windy. I looking at the forecast its a headwind on the way out and then hopefully it'll carry me home on the return. Going to use races as my hard efforts as I've been really neglecting the threshold stuff. Hopefully ill run a negative split and depending on who's there Ill be 'racing' it. 

• Options

Where are you racing Matt? I also have a seafront 10lm tomorrow.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Aye Matt, reet proper race prep that!

Good luck both tomorrow then!