Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

close enough SP, welcome.

Reckon it's Eastleigh style fast? Since they moved Victory 5 out of September back to December, maybe there's a vacancy for a fast south coast type 5miler.

• Options
    I'm around SG but avoiding trying to post as I haven't been able to keep up, always on my phone posting lately but there deserves some credit! Especially the 28 lap beast you tackled

Not heard anything but the date rang a bell - quick check and SEAA fell running champs is on that weekend on the IOW and I'm there that weekend and will fancy a shot so probably no

Final session pre race for me today with just easy +2m tempo Thursday. Feeling in ok shape

Good running by all and seems everyone is niggle free too which is good (other than bus but hoping it clears and you do something about it)

Will post thoroughly when I get a chance to read back - anyone else racing this weekend other than the usual suspects in VLM?
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    x - post SG obviously the map does no justice and you may not know the area but the roads round there are Eastleigh type flat and I wouldn't expect wind to be a threat at all. Looks promising IMO
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    alehouse wrote (see)

Long runs on the track: as Dachs says the problem is with always turning left. If there are no other track users I would change direction every 1609 metres or so.

I was, of course, being rather tongue in cheek with the 1609. However if I was doing 28 laps solo on the track I would probably have turned around once, around half way through.

That 5 miler in Southampton sounds quite tempting!

Edit: I still can't get the hang of the quote function!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options

Nice sessions Matt! Good after some very stern mileage!

Another s***e night's sleep! The session was a toughie of 5 x 1KM (90 seconds). Up early, stayed at school till 7 as it was parents' evening, only managed 0.8 mile warm up before the pain train left the station. Not ideal!

Came out as 3:24, 3:26, 3:21, 3:21, 3:19 - so I was pretty pleased with how it went. Breathing was great but legs took a while to get into the groove. Tell you what... 90 seconds goes quick!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Wow, lots of good training going on.  Probably missed more than I can remember but a speedy 400 session from simon, a brace of excellent 800 sessions from matt and another speedy 800 session from Dachs stand out.

was sick over the weekend so hadn't run for a few days as felt tired, last night my daughters took turns throwing up the entire night. Was on the hover to do tonight's session as was sure I had some of their bug.  But had a go.

was 8*800 off 400 jog rec. target was 2.25/2.26.  They came out 2.25, 2.26, 2.25, 2.25, 2.26, 2.27, 2.25, 2.22.     Felt light headed after 2 reps and thought I would end up stepping off due to sickness.  But glad I stuck with it As I didn't feel sick as the reps went on.   The 2.27 was a solo effort as I went to the toilet instead of jog rec and they started the rep before I got back.  Happy with these.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Seems everyone has moved on to the track and short stuff. Impressive training all.

Matt - re the marathon I am not sure. I need to enter this week, if I am going to do it. It's a long way to run, just to get a a place at London! Two weeks of sub 20 miles are not the best preparation. I have however done a lot of bike miles.

Dachs - Did you take a giant tape measure with you or are you estimating the size of the station? I know the house you mean though. I would call it the Charlatan run myself.

• Options
    Good stuff Dean, that's great feeling sick also shows good form. Good sessions elsewhere too from SS and Matt again, very sharp!

I'm with Dachs as a very bad sleeper, generally only from 11.30-5.30. At the end of the day it is a bit dull, but I know I should have more, really need to sort it out tbh.

Anyways, tonight was 8x800 on the grass at Luton, with about 1.40 recovery and annoying headwind in the last 300 ! Found the start quite tough with a breathy 2.31. Found a bit of form with a 2.30,2.28,2.28,2.28, 2.27,2.26,2.22. One of those where times feel ok but you feel a bit laboured.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Andrew G wrote (see)

Dachs - Did you take a giant tape measure with you or are you estimating the size of the station? I know the house you mean though. I would call it the Charlatan run myself.

I am estimating.  However, I do a bit of estimating sizes of buildings in my job, so I like to think I'm not too far off.

Paul Daniels - lives right by the Thames and gets flooded every year.  And every year he's in the local press blaming the Council and the Environment Agency for his woes, despite the fact that there's not a flood defence scheme in the world that would prevent his property right next to, and directly in the natural flood plain of, one of the biggest rivers in the UK from flooding.  I always wondered why he didn't just go out there and use his magical powers to prevent the flooding.

Storming reps from Simon and Dean, glad I got my 800s done last week, or I'd look like a mug in comparison.  Good stuff from Stevie S too, very decent paces indeed.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i think you should do a counter piece in the paper to that effect Dachs. would he like that? Not a lot!

Simon, i know you mentioned the grass before, but i think i misinterpreted it as just doing reps on grass. That's an actual grass track then? Quite rare.

Dean, problem with you is we're used to your fast reps, so you can't win now!

Stevie tho, those 1ks are sharp. Having not hit 3k at 800 (zone or pb), 1ks are impressive. What was the pace aim? I remember you did sub 10 at Watford (obviously, i remember as i was there!). 3.20 would be 10 on the nose. 3.22 average about where you expect to be right now?

if i were to attempt (which hopefully i don't!), pb pace would be 3.15, but zone pace would probably be 3.10-12. Both would be very hard work for 1ks

nice 10.5miles in a bit of sun this morning, usual 6.53 average.

Got the route slightly wrong, hence the extra 0.5miles!

35miles over 3 days, rest until Friday. Feels pretty decent all round, bar this unusual stitchy/oblique type feel.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Have any of you done any of the Sri Chinmoy races at Battersea Park on Monday evenings in the summer and if so what's it like trying to drive there for about 6:30 pm? There is a 1 mile relay, 2 miler and a few 5k's. Standard looks pretty hot as 6 minute miles puts you about half way down the field, but I did one of their 10 k's last year and it was very well run and a really quick course.  

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Pete - yep, did the 5K last year.  Fantastic course, totally flat and with gentle curves rather than sharp corners.  My PB course, and pretty high standard.  Dunno about driving, I got the train/tube.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hmm - I'm doing 800s tomorrow and after the speedy sessions posted on here this week (and including those 1ks Stevie!) I think I'll keep the times to myself image

Double today, with 7.5M done this morning. Pretty leggy, but not surprising really, with last 3 previous runs all hilly and 10, 15 and 8.5M.

• Options

SG- There is a one line track there (on the grass behind the old Vauxhall sports club - now 'Venue 360')  the summer, but as they have been on that grass for about 8 years now,he knows the distances like the back of his hand. Generally the grass is pretty short.

Come on Bus - spill the beans on the reps image...gentle 12 today commuter stylee!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Thanks Dachs, sounds encouraging and looks an easy enough walk/jog from Clapham Junction so probably worth a shot. Maybe try the 2 mile as its rare to get a race of that distance. 

• Options

Hello Everyone,

Hope you don't mind me joining mid conversation. I would welcome some advice. I am 49, 3.55 marathon runner, having run 6 in 4 years. Advice how do I get under 3.50 and I am running Liverpool in 8 weeks, just after completing Manchester last Sunday. Does anyone have advice what training I should do between now and then? Many thanks

SJA

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Hi SJA, Do you reckon you have the endurance ok (I'd base on how level a split for your last one)? If so need to improve speed so regular speed-work sessions of the type most running clubs put on would help. If not maybe focus on more long runs at a constant pace close to (or at) what you want to achieve. You've not much time though, need a taper and 8 weeks time could be pretty hot so don't expect too much improvement from your next one!   

• Options

Hi PeteM, - thanks for this. My split was poor actually 1.53 and 2.03 I was so annoyed with my time, therefore I want to run a race ASAP.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Hi SJA, what are your PB's at other distances?

To get a different result you need to change what you are currently doing, so I guess a summary of your current training would be useful. There are specific threads for the Marathon, such as a sub 3:30 group as well. I am trying the not very much running and lots of cycling approach for mine, we'll see how that works out!!

Work is getting in the way of my running. I managed a quick 4 miles last night and a 5.7 miles at lunch today at 7.08 & 6.55 respectively. Will be interesting to see what effect the 16 miles a day on the single speed bike has on my running.

• Options

Hi Andrew G,

Thanks for the info. My training schedule is

3 runs per week between 5,6,7 miles. Long one at the weekend. For about 10-12 weeks. Mix of tread mill and runs. Pace about 80% most of the time. Hope this helps

Good luck with the cycling

• Options

Hi SJA,

So you probably have the base and endurance, you just need to speed things up. Bear in mind though it can take ~6 weeks for any improvement to show. I'd concentrate on recovering from this one and ticking over for Liverpool.

For the next marathon after that I am sure there is plenty of time to get some improvement.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

SJA- welcome.

Without knowing your background, other activities, time available etc, I'd say the opposite of Iron, you DON'T have the base or the endurance.

Doing a marathon on what looks to be between 35-40miles a week looks pretty bare minimum get round but not maximising material to me.

As a comparison the guys on this thread doing marathons I'd say would start at the lowest of 50miles a week, but go all the way up to 90miles.

You need a medium long run in there, to support the long one for starters. But I'd imagine a simple progressive increase in mileage alone would get you under your goal, without any fancy speedwork.
    8 weeks to the next race might be too close to make big gains now though.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

SJA - a decent read for you

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/training-for-the-right-distance/166480.html

a line that leaps out is the one that says along the lines of try and show the calculations of how to train effectively for a marathon off 40miles a week  ..... you won't be able to.

• Options

Chance to get a read back and note what people have been upto. 

Dean, Simon are you transitioning into a full track season now then? WHat are other peoples next targets?

IC - Shame about the DNF at the duathlon. I always thought it would be a summer sport?

SC - Flying 400s a few days ago (68s) 

Matt - A marathon may suit you? You smashed the HM without true specific training and obviously have great strength. Nice parkrun and 800s too. Very fast, the reps will take 2-3 weeks to get into the legs but all that threshold running is going to compliment it hugely. I seriously think you'll be doing much quicker in no time at all. 

Johnas - I assume VLM, unsure of target? PB attempt? Strava perving by me has shown your in good shape, must be a great feeling

Dachs - Why so little sleep? Kids? I'm lucky in that respect where I don't live with Mia (which I'm sorry to say) but with shifts at work and stuff I find myself watching TV or doing bugger all on my computer and never have routine. It does help

Bus - Nice XC and doubles but have you ever considered revising the training you do? Niggles again or ongoing stuff it's all worrying and I'd seek to settle it

SS - Nice KM reps, going good after the PB I see! 

Dean - Speedy 800s, impressive, Sick again though, not been a great start to the year for you as of late but maybe no more sickness for the rest of the year, fingers crossed!?

Been really good to read some nice solid training all around and people hitting targets. 

So for me...I did post I did my final session Tuesday. Was meant to be "that" peaking session 8x1km off 2:00 but I cut it to 5 x 1km off 2:00

Averaged 3:02 with a 2:59 in there so was mighty pleased. Wasn't the max amount of reps I could have done either with Sunday looming but was happy. Lack of miles, tempos and long runs worries me but I think I've done enough to be in good shape and toe the line. Wouldn't dare say PB shape though. Aim is mid 33. / sub 34

A few miles with 2 at tempo tomorrow, after Sunday/ Monday no more running for at least 2 weeks with Head surgery on the 28th so a chance to try shift my shin niggle image 

Aim is to be back to resume running between 14 - 19th May easy for a week, then start a build up. All depend how it goes! 

Good luck to anyone racing the weekend! 

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

SJA:  I think you have lots of untapped potential! Liverpool is almost certainly too soon to have gained much from any training. You can make progress though by better pacing, I would imagine. 

As SG  says, both a long run and a medium long run are helpful, with the medium long run being around two-thirds to three-quarters of the long run. Marathon running needs long term investment and a gradual build up, for example many people want to get half a dozen or so 20 milers under their belts, having built up from long runs of say, 14 miles. And with the appropriate medium long runs to match! Last long run is usually around three weeks out. 

Re speedwork, I also think that it is not necessary with Liverpool in mind: you will only have just got over Manchester and by introducing something new you are introducing the risk of injury.

Do you have an autumn marathon planned?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options

SG, the target was to get under 3:25 per KM off such bare minimum recovery. So to be just above 10:00 3K pace was promising so early in the track season. It didn't feel super awful either. I'll be down for another epic Watford road trip this year!

10.5 mile off road in 7:27avg. More track tomorrow IF I get out of parents' evening part 2 early enough.

Nice 800s Dean. Shaping up nicely!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ah nice one Stevie.

Let's plan it properly, and I expect we can get me, Bus and Phil along too.

It's Wednesday night, almost 9pm and I must admit I'm looking forward to a glorious lay in to 7.30 tomorrow for rest day Thursday.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Mess of a session tonight. Plan was 2m plus 4 x 1m all at target 10k pace.

Start the session, manage 3 laps then from out of nowhere my brains telling me to stop and I'm stepping off the track. Eh? Get it together and try to start again but that left thigh is tightening up again, so I jog it out and then do the remaining 5 laps. Average 5:12 pace for the 2m, albeit that it isn't 2m, it's 1200 plus 2000. Manage 2 more mile reps (5:09 and 5:10) before the thigh starts tightening again and I can't manage a fifth mile. Can it and go home.

Third track session in a row I haven't completed. What's worse is that I'm going into them expecting to not complete them. Confidence at rock bottom at the moment. The pace is there, but something ain't right.

• Options

Dachs, I had exact same thing over 3/4 sessions a few weeks back and even now cutting them down. But it came together in a way

All I did was cut the rep length for a few sessions.. Just to get my legs back into the fast stuff. That's all it is! 

5:12 pace though for 2m I wouldn't complain!!!

With regards to the thigh, get on top of it now, do some dynamic stretching in the morning or pre session? Do you do drills too?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dachs - I think you need to stop being so hard  on yourself. That was a tough session, even without the 5th mile, but it sounds like you are on one of those inevitable dips in both physical and mental mojo that happen to everyone occasionally. A bit of a break or just a change to a few easier runs and no sessions for a short while would see the hunger and legs come back no doubt. More positively, it takes a sensible head to know when the best thing to do is to stop like you did tonight.

Scott - many times, but I'm too stupid to follow my own advice! Anyway, this current sluggish patch is easily explained by a very hard (but fun!) week of climbing in the Lakes far too closely followed by an ill-advised half marathon and then trying to get back into full training with no break. The niggles are all just about behaving and this current heaviness is only temporary (I hope!). Nice Tuesday session by the way! All the best with the surgery...

SJA, welcome - you could do a lot worse than listen to Alehouse's advice above I reckon...