Options

Nutrition Q+A: Nick Morgan

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hi Nick.. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.. My one is simple.... does your strategy work for those of us of a senior age.. ( 0ver 60 ) or do we have to think of a different one....i.e more protien and  less carbs...????
  • Options

Hi Nick - I'm sure you'll point me Lucozadewards, however I try to avoid processed food/refined sugar/additives etc wherever I can, but all sports drinks and gels etc seem full of them - the lurid colours are scary in themselves. Is there an alternative, or is it just a case of when it comes to running you have to suck it up?

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Nick

What's the trick to successful carbo-loading whilst avoiding the need for toilet stops on the day?

• Options

Gatton

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.. My one is simple.... does your strategy work for those of us of a senior age.. ( 0ver 60 ) or do we have to think of a different one....i.e more protien and  less carbs...????

Age is almost something you think we need to addres but in terms of fuelling for a marathon then no there is nothing I would differently. The energy and fluid needs are still the biggest and they don't change. Its the same for males vs females

• Options

KateF

I'm sure you'll point me Lucozadewards, however I try to avoid processed food/refined sugar/additives etc wherever I can, but all sports drinks and gels etc seem full of them - the lurid colours are scary in themselves. Is there an alternative, or is it just a case of when it comes to running you have to suck it up?

If you can  make your own up and carry enough of them, then you could make a natural sports drink. As a sport scientist then it wouldn't be any better vs the artificial sports drink barring everything you mention above. Unfortunately the logistics of sport determine that some forms are easier than others and for the very simple reason. I wouldn't want you to think i'll point you anywhere specifically, but the answer is you can make it up and carry it, but if you asked me whether I think it is possible - it would be hard and would be an added complication

• Options

Seen Better Days

What's the trick to successful carbo-loading whilst avoiding the need for toilet stops on the day?

Avoid high fibre foods, and things like curry's, beans, chilli etc. The other thing is practice to make sure the food works for you.

Unfortunately toilet breaks may in fact be inevitable due to nerves to bear that in mind. You may want to get up one hour earlier - I do! - or try immodium. But again that is strategies you should practice well in advnace and certainly the latter one I don't necessarily advise!

• Options

That's all for me... thanks everyone for your great questions.

Good luck for all your races and for those at the marathon look out for my presentations on the pasta party stage - please come and say hello! - and also you will find my team of sport scientists at the expo for all last min advice.

Run hard this Easter weekend

Nick

• Options
    Thanks Nick, sorry for being a cynic!
  • Options

Thanks for joining us and sharing your expertise Nick.

Good luck with your training everyone (especially those of you planning your final long run this weekend). Don't forget to check in again in two weeks time (April 16) - double Olympian Liz Yelling will be joining us  to answer your taper and race-day questions.

Catherine
  • Options

I know its not reccomended but i think carb loading on pizza and ben and jerry ice cream suits me just as well. Dont get me wrong eating the slow release carbs etc is a must but having a bit of 'what you like' is a great way to load up pre marathon. In addition to all the calories you take on board I find its a great way to get even more enthusiasm and motivation to run well.

Just dont live on the treats and you'll be fine.

Does any body agree?

Good luck to all running the london marathon or any other up and coming marathons.

• Options

Nick

is it too late to stick some Lucozade Lite out? That stuff REALLY works for me as I run better on an electrolyte drink than a carbs one!

• Options

what would you suggest is sensibe to have for half marathons regarding carbo loading say a week before doing the race?