Options

The Run '10 - Northamptonshire

I've just been speaking to some of the organisers and they are really up for making sure that this years race is better and bigger than last year.

If you're in the driveable distance of Northampton the first weekend in October why don't you give the race a go.

Comments

• Options
    The only thing that put a damper on it last year was the late start. If that can be sorted for this year  then it will be a great event.
  • Options

Karen -

I have been talking to the organisers (1 of them is my training partner). In order to handle the road closures better they have invested in sunbstantial additional resources to both plan and implement the road closures which were the reason for the delays last year.

• Options
    Nice one, thanks. I see the 10k route has changed slightly, please tell your running partner that I'm glad they got rid of the dog leg at the top of sixfields. image
  • Options
    So am I. It'll be up the hill to Sixfields to start with this year. This also gives them more room for the finish funnel.
  • Options
    I'm such a numpty, I didn't even notice the route was reversed.
  • Options

doh! just signed up for this again but going to do the 10k this year!!!!

enjoyed the 5K last year - which was my first race - lets hope they sort out the start this time.

• Options

I'm wondering about this one this year - can't decide if I want to try the 5 or 10k. Just getting back into running again, but it is 3 months away...

There's a team challenge, anyone up for entering a RW forum team? Not sure if the whole team has to do the same distance - it's not entirely clear on that point.

In fairness, I ought to point out that any team with me as a member will not be winning any prizes image

• Options
    Did this last year, borders can you get your mate to organise some t-shirts £13ish and ideal some XL Hoodies £17ish, they do these at the Alderidge 10k and they are a success, conisdering to enter as doing wolves and edf brum half are around this date, bottlw water, fruit or energy bar, ask Northampton fc to put somat in the goody bag, even if it is just a pen. dont want much do i, now convince me to sign up.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed this race last year (apart from the delayed start)  especially as its where I live so will be doing it again this year.  I wouldnt mind a T-shirt also.... and no out of date vouchers in my goody bag!
  • Options

Just about to sign up for this race again for this year.  There were a few problems last year, but they tried really hard and I think they'll have sorted out the problems for this year.  I'll certainly give it a second chance as it was a good course, great atmosphere and fantastic marshalls.   

I think it's a shame the course has been reversed, as the long downhill run from Sixfields at the end was fantastic!  But I suppose at least the big hill will be out the way at the start and the rest of it will be a gradual downhill.  So maybe this will be even better.

It says on the website the parking issues have been dealt with; so that just leaves the fact we were hounded and nearly run over by the 10K pace car.  I can't believe someone actually thought it was a good idea to set off the 5K runners then follow it with the 10K pace car ... who was almost ploughing down the slower 5K runners shouting at us to get out the way as faster runners were coming through!  It was the most dangerous thing I have ever seen in a race, especially when lots of people wear iPods.

So looking forward to seeing all the improvements, I think if they get this right it could build into a really good event.  

• Options
    Oh well, I'm in. I'll see you at the back of the 10k field...
  • Options

I'm in, nice touch offering a discount for early entry too.

I am a Northamptonian so am proud of this event in my town so it will be a highlight of my running calander.  Despite last year's delay, I really enjoyed the race and I hope that the locals will be back to cheer us on again.

Well done to the organisers for addressing the issues from last year too and getting this back on track.  Half marathon next year maybe...?

• Options

Race number arrived today. I know it's completely irrelevant, but I do like numbers with symmetry or a sequnce in them. So I'm very pleased with 1001!

Just a note, my race tag had got itself stuck to the inside of the envelope, so do check carefully before you throw it away. Couldn't find the bag storage tag though.

• Options

I had a panic this morning when I realised my 2 year old had opened my race pack. After a frenzied search I finally found my race tag inside the race information booklet but no bag storage tag.

Just need to start training properly now.

• Options
     I got my race pack today as well. I think they have forgotten to put in the bag storage tags because I haven't got one either. The timing chip tag thing is a bit weird! I really enjoyed this race last year, it was great to run round my home town for a change (apart from the lovely steep Bridge Street!). My kids enjoyed the kids races as well. Hopefully they've sorted out the teething problems from last year.
  • Options
    Yep my pack arrived too (like Helen, I am please with my number 1400).  No baggage tags either but I rarely use the storage so this is no issue for me.  Good little race pack though, great instructions (although I live in Northampton and go to Sixfields so know where I'm going image).
  • Options

There's an update on baggage tags on the event website http://www.the-run.org/#/news-article/race-info-packs , in short they'll provide baggage storage to those who need it on the day but they aren't sending out the baggage tags in advance.

• Options
    I'm in, in the process of finding  premierr in so we can make a little break of it, loved this one last year
  • Options
    hi everyone.  I ran the 5k last year, it was my 1st race and I loved it.  I am just going to sign up to run the 10k.  See you there!
  • Options

Good luck everyone.  Loved the 5K run last year.  Really sorry I'm not quite fit enough. (66 and had a mild stroke in April).  Am running again but taking it really easy at moment.  Hope to be there next year.   

• Options

This race is the perfect opportunity to see the home ground of the conquerors of Liverpool FC.

• Options
    Exactly Borders, there is a buzz around the places at the moment.  I still have come down yet, we need to beat Bradford on Saturday then Chesterfield the following Tuesday to make it a perfect week.
  • Options

A week today! How's everyone's preparation been going? I've come to the conclusion I'm not in PB shape, so just want to get round in reasonable form. Would be nice to pace properly, rather than my usual trick of going too fast at the start.

Hope the weather is a bit better than it's been today, last long run was rather cold and miserable.

Good luck!

• Options
    done a 10k today, feeling ok, i wont be in PB form either, just lookin forward to it, using this as a training run/prep for Birmingham haf, got an easy week work wise this week so i'll be out tuesday to do another 10k, then probably a 3k thursday, glad to see the footy team coming out of its shadow of its other sporting team and getting some recognition for a change, Were coming down saturday afternoon and treating the Mrs and kids, and staying in the Premier Inn of the motorway. Is there still a Macdonalds next to the cinema and footy ground, and what time does it open on a sunday, were a few in there for breakfast last year.
  • Options

Maccy D's is still there but I have no idea what time it opens.

• Options
    Training hampered by injuries and not helped by a hernia(op on the 4th !). Run 4 miles today & hopeful of a good time next week. Good luck to all.
  • Options
    Bit nervous as this will be my first 10k race (did the 5k last year) and after 3 weeks out due to illness finally managed to get back running last week and surprisingly did a 10k on Saturday - 1hr 6 mins so not a great time!! Not going to smash any records on Sunday but just want to make it round alive!

Fingers crossed for good weather and a good dayimage

• Options
    AA2 -Best of luck for the Hernia op, I had that particular form of pleasure about 28 months ago, I'm sure that you'll be alright just take your time doing crunches/sit-ups afterwards, also make sure that you don't wear clothes that are tight around the waist.
  • Options
    Hello!!

Can anyone tell me the start time of this race? I cant seem to see it on the website!

Thanks

• Options

9:30 for 5K; 9:45 for 10K.