Options

STARTING NUMBERS

2»

Comments

• Options
    Brighton marathon have adopted coloured numbers for the pens - be interesting to see how closely they marshal it on Sunday for the 1st running of this event. likewise they say they are enforcing an ipod ban - we'll see how that goes down with those who haven't read the race rules or just ignored it!
  • Options
    LM is usually hot on pen numbers. You can move back, but not forward.
  • Options
    I think anyone would run a half marathon road RACE faster than a time trial on the treadmill. As for myself, I cannot even last for 15 min on the treadmill, I get so bored.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Not necessarily: all depends on the pace at which you are running and the incline you have set:

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_running/run_treadmill_chart.asp

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I can run much faster on the treadmill than outside - although I've never done more than four miles on a tready, it just gets too boring. 

I much prefer running outside, but can't get anywhere near the speeds I do on a treadmill.  I've used various treadies, and it's always the same thing (ie. it's not just one treadmill that shows the wrong pace). 

Perhaps it's the knowledge that the sooner I get the distance done, the sooner I can stop? image

aca99gd wrote (see)

If you are so thick skinned what do u care about my calling the comments by yourself and your compatriots 'elitist guffawing'? you chose to challenge it in exactly the same way as I chose to challenge the initial comments.

My feelings weren't hurt by your comment, aca99 - I just thought it an OTT repsonse to the nature of the posts.

• Options

Christ on a bike, 13 miles on a treadmill. I think I'd sooner eat my own face than give that a try! After 5 miles max, Im bored and playing with settings (havent tried the gradient game... sounds fun!).

Treadmills are great for people with iffy knees (such as myself), but if you do all your training on them, you'll be lining yourself up for a pretty big shock on the day. Granted that its easier outdoors from a ventilation point of view, but your feet, knees and hips wont thank you on the day!

• Options

Sorry if I offended anyone but if I ask a daft question then I expect it to be pointed out to me and people to rib me about it.

I wouldn't mind daft questions normally and there is nothing i like more than to help out a novice by offering advice and support, but you have to help yourselves a bit first. Did we not receive a magazine quite recently with all the instructions in it?

Including the line - 'The running numbers are issued at random'

Read the magazine - twice - then if you dont understand ask.

• Options
    It's all part of the build-up excitement and general taper madness.

I remember being an LM newbie. I didn't even realise until a month beforehand that you HAD to attend the Expo to collect your number (by which time I'd already booked a late Sat train down to London). And lots more "obvious" questions I should / needed to ask.

Ask away. Ignore the abrasive responses: it's easy to misconstrue tone of postings.
  • Options

I wouldn't be too hung up by which 'pen' you're allocated to.

In 2008, it was not difficult to sidle up (or down) the 'pen', which was more of a corridor of people approx 100 wide and 2000 long...

also - don't underestimate the inability to 'run' for the first few miles, due to the volume of people.  Certainly not easy to set off too fast....