Options

Adjusting the get-you-round marathon schedule

Right. I've just been studying the RW ultimate marathon get you round schedule on the training section here, and it looks like its the one for me.

But:

1. Starting at the beginning of it means a serious stepping down from my present level of endeavour. Is the resulting 4 week "holiday" from effort part of the plan? Or should I try to jump into the schedule at week 5 or 8 or whatever?

2. I have two (separate) weeks of holiday wherein running might be difficult. Do I just start the schedule two weeks earlier? Should I start it even, say, four weeks earlier, given that I know perfectly well that even if all goes well, I am likely to have weeks off like this one cause the lurgy is back?

3. I think I've taken on board the importance of the really long run each week, but is there a real benefit from changing my present pattern of three runs a week, (but the shorter two rather longer) to the the recommended pattern of four runs a week, but the shorter three considerably shorter). The advantage of longer midweek runs is simply that I can go prettier places, but perhaps part of the schedule is to discipline yourself to take it easy midweek to ensure you have enthusiasm for the Long One.

4. Being old and somewhat crippled, might it be wise to repeat each week of training twice? My muscles are slow learners. That might necessarily sort out problem 1.

Thanks all in advance, Marj

Comments

• Options
    Hi Stickless, good luck with your marathon training, great to hear we will meet up in Abingdon.

I haven't studied the program you have mentioned, personally I would start at a level which you feel comfortable with. Starting now gives you the flexiblilty to take an easier week or two later on in the schedule when it gets a bit tough, and still managing to complete the required long runs.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    I'm planning something similar (but I won't be able to tell you if it works until afterwards :). My long run this weekend was 8/9 miles, and I will (try to) keep building steadily to a half marathon in the beginning of July. Then I plan to build at a slower rate for a while.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Think I've got it sorted. I'll start once the exams are marked, at about week 5, when the long runs are only 2hr plus and run 4 walk 2. The schedule makes the assumption that it is possible to reduce the walk component or increase the run component without shortening the overall length of outing. I think that's where I'm going to come off the rails, so I'll put in a few extra weeks building back to the same time, with a higher run/walk ratio. I'll also throw in two emergency rest weeks, to be taken at weeks 8 and 11, if not needed earlier.

Hope that'll do.

Thanks all.