Options

iPods and MP3 players

Comments

• Options
    I personally wouldn't run in an "ipod banned" event....to clarify - I was cut up by MORE people without headphones than with.
  • Options
    E122RE because there are far far more things in this life to worry about than if someone has an iPod on in a race as I pointed out no one to my knowledge has ever been hurt wearing an ipod in a race.

Smile it's a happy world we live in !!!
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    adam - you will not be running in many races then as must are banning ipod/MP3 now.
  • Options
    Tracey G wrote (see)
    adam - you will not be running in many races then as must are banning ipod/MP3 now.
    thats cool, at least now I know to check on this fact before entering a race....will save me the disappointment!   You learn something new every day!
  • Options

GD - Just because you're a Dad, you don't have to be patronising...;) I was also not aware that we are only allowed to have opinions on the "important" things in life.

There is a reason why they are increasingly banned from races. It's hardly just to upset those who love to run to music.

I am a bit touchy today. Must be the post-race boredom...

• Options
    No it's because most races are organised by old farts!!! LOL

Hope you had a good race on Sunday did you get the time you went for ???

Yes I'm a Dad and I think you'll find being patronising is in the job description!!! image
  • Options

I entirely disagree that people who are wearing iPods are less aware of what's going around - that's a generalisation.  I run with mine and am fully aware of what's going on.  Using an MP3 player or not is not the issue.  I cycle around Cheltenham, and regularly have to dodge pedestrians who just step in to the road to cross without looking - many of them are not listening to music, but are instead listening out for traffic - they don't, however, look before crossing.  According to some of them that's my fault.

@Tracy G - define "most".  I'm in two halfs and one marathon this year, and none of them prohibit the use of MP3 players.  If that changes, I'll go renegade - there's nothing to lose anyway.

It's not listening to music through earphones that causes clashes, it's idiot runners who end up in their own little worlds while trying to keep their legs moving and the sweat out of their eyes.

• Options

I'm bored too so I'll chip in...

I think the problem with talking about bans is it immediately gets into a huge debate about whether iPods are outright dangerous. Of course they're not, although it is reasonable to say that on balance you're increasing your risk and the risk to others around you by cutting off a sense.

But I don't think whether they're dangerous should be the deciding factor for whether they're banned, or more accurately discouraged seeing as huge events would struggle to enforce a ban. I think they should be discouraged, along with everything else that compromises everyone else's enjoyment and ability to have a good run. So that's bye bye iPods, bye mobile phones, off with you walkers walking 3/4/5 abreast. A ban is a blunt instrument but a nice little etiquette reminder wouldn't go amiss.  

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Brighton Marathon

Halstead Marathon

Kent Coastal Marathon/half Marathon

Thanet 10

Serpentine New Years Day 10k

Serpentine Last Friday of the Month 5k

Great Baddow 10

There are more that I have done or doing that are banning them.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Abingdon Marathon as well.
  • Options

@Tracey G - so that's 7 listed.  Hardly "most", is it.  I can name 7 that aren't.

The most important thing to ban during events is the Jabbas who start in the wrong timing area.  The number of 20st chubbies that held me back during the race because they're taking up too much room is astonishing

• Options

I think a lot of people are just pretty stupid. I passed 3 club runners walking together side by side on the embankment and they should have known better.

• Options

I would totally accept a ban, but ban or not I think the people running badly and inconsiderate will do so Ipod or no Ipod.

More inclined to go with Wobbled's idea of etiquette advise.

Hywel Jenkins wrote (see)

I cycle around Cheltenham, and regularly have to dodge pedestrians who just step in to the road to cross without looking - many of them are not listening to music, but are instead listening out for traffic - they don't, however, look before crossing.  According to some of them that's my fault.

Totally agree I hate the " Idon't hear a car therefore I do not need to check" pedestrians, would love for a silent electric car to smack them down...almost.

It's not listening to music through earphones that causes clashes, it's idiot runners who end up in their own little worlds while trying to keep their legs moving and the sweat out of their eyes.

Yes the own little world thing is more of a problem, think it is does runners that are causing the problem and the Ipods/mobiles gets the blame instead.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    HJ - I could make the list longer, but I am not going to waste my time. You will find out for yourself.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Some races you have to look into the details of the race and some you don't find out until your race pack arrives.

• Options

there should be ipod only events in that case.....more people without music cut me up/got in my way/slowed me up/elbowed me than those running without tunes in their ears.

FFS people....just run, does it really matter?

• Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭

It is s simple fact that if you have music playing 3 mm away from your eardrum you are less likely to hear what is going on around you, thus decreasing your spacial awareness. For this reason it is perfectly reasonable to ban them in races that may be busy, like the VLM. I had a few people come from be rear (oh er missus), but with a quick exchange of words we were both aware of each other intentions.

As for the argument, well I was cut up by more people without iPods, well that is because statistically more poeple didn't have iPods!

I do use an iPod most of the time in training, but I turn it down or off on roads and busy areas for safety reasons.

• Options
    @adam6177 - no, it doesn't matter at all.
  • Options
    Marty B wrote (see)

thus decreasing your spacial awareness.

so women should be banned from running too? image
  • Options

i got barged and held up by lots of people not wearing ipods on sunday. the problem with london is that it is crowded and difficult to progress. Would banning ipods stop this? no. You'd probably get barged and held up by as many people, you'd just not be able to blame it on ipods.

One problem I found ws the noise of the crowd made it hard too hear what was going on around you. But I would definitely argue against banning the crowd!

• Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭

...all you can do is maximise the safety, I have no doubt banning iPod would help.

adam, of course not, for what they lack in spacial awareness abilities they make up for in other ways!

• Options

How about running with an i pod/mp 3 and a mobile phone and maybe a bottle of water ?

And sunglasses ?

And chatting to a fellow runner ? (Quietly? )

And maybe doing some mental maths ?

• Options
    chalky... wrote (see)

How about running with an i pod/mp 3 and a mobile phone and maybe a bottle of water ?

And sunglasses ?

And chatting to a fellow runner ? (Quietly? )

And maybe doing some mental maths ?

Now you really are pushing it image I say death penalty!

• Options
    Shimmy shimmy wrote (see)
    Got any cheese RM?  You can only hide under here if you have cheese image
    Sorry Shimmy, been spending the day under that desk listening to the ipod.

Oh look, I see the discussion have grown since this morning.
  • Options
    I run with an Ipod on low volume and in one ear only, for the precise reason that I can hear what is going on around me.  When pulling out to overtake slower runners in front, I always check over my shoulder, the last thing I want to do is cut anyone up.  I also did this when I didn't have an Ipod.

Surely this should be run & let run, so to speak?  As has been pointed out, inconsiderate runners will continue to be so, whether or not they have an Ipod and although awareness is somewhat hindered by the Ipod, it can be countered by looking, not just listening.
  • Options

I cycle around Cheltenham, and regularly have to dodge pedestrians who just step in to the road to cross without looking - many of them are not listening to music, but are instead listening out for traffic - they don't, however, look before crossing.  According to some of them that's my fault.

Do you cycle wearing headphones, btw?
  • Options
    @andy from embsay - no, I don't.  That'd be nuts because I'm in amongst the traffic (I don't use the cycle paths).  When I'm running I'm not amongst the traffic.
  • Options
    such a boring subject. Zzz Zzz
  • Options
    runnerman wrote (see
    )
    Shimmy shimmy wrote (see)
    Got any cheese RM?  You can only hide under here if you have cheese image
    Sorry Shimmy, been spending the day under that desk listening to the ipod.

Oh look, I see the discussion have grown since this morning.
    No cheese, no hidie under desk, simple as that image

Is it safe to come out yet?