Options

Defecting from Asics Gel Kayano's after 10 years

MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I have been a lifelong runner spending the last ten years in Asics Gel Kayanos. During this time, I have had 4 pregnancies and I have breastfed each baby, which I calculate to mean I have been pregnant for 3 of those years and breastfeeding 3.5 (and counting).  Unfortunately, during this time I have also suffered from chronic running related injuries including ITBFS (ie runners' knee) and ankle tendonitis.

My assumption has always been that a weakened core has been largely to blame, in addition to the extra post-pregnancy weight my body is carrying when I start running again after each baby arrives exacerbating the weakness and any biomechanical inefficiencies.  The reason I have assumed this is because I over-pronate quite severely which is clear from video analysis and, in fact, just by watching me run.  More recently, I have come to realise that the pregnancies and breastfeeding have probably contributed to problems in that my body is probably depleted by the baby as I have always continued to run while pregnant and shortly after birth.

So I have conscientiously been doing physio exercises and holding off on training in the hope these injuries will disappear.  But it occurred to me the other day that these injuries may in part be caused by the trainers as they are so clunky and cushioned they prevent my feet, legs and core from feeling what is going on when I run. 

If you are still reading, bless you, as I am looking for advice on which trainers might be a good alternative to the Kayanos that would be less block-like but not too different that my feet won't know what have hit them when I run.  I am keeping distances short at the moment until I have resolved the problem and running a max of 6-7 miles at a time no more than 2-3 times a week.  My post-pregnancy weight is still there but at 5'3" and around 8.5 stone I am, apparently, not overweight (although my usual weight is around 8 stone).  I have a pair of Adidas Supernova trail shoes which seem fine when I play hockey and do circuit training in them.

Any tips hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Options

I guess the bottom line here is that Kayanos are rubbish contraceptives!

Seriously though, I'd go to a running shop where you can talk to them about the problems you're having and they can advise you on possible alternative shoes.

• Options
    I run in Nike Equalons and I think they are the equivalent of the Kayano. I've had two pairs and was thinking about switching to something else soon - just fancy a change, nothing wrong with the trainers.