Options

Saturday 29th May 2010

2»

Comments

• Options

Tipp - Thats the one!!. Thanks for that.

LMH - yeah things workwise going well. Although weve been going since Christmas now. Were starting our second job on site in a few weeks. Its a much bigger one that the first and to say that we are going ok in the Construction industry at bthe moment is some achievement. Some diffrence since November last when i was filling out the Irish version of the UB40!!!!. Training wise things well also - concentrating on base fitness at the moment but am going to run a 5 miler in two weeks time to see how i'm going - felt well today. Finding it hard to fit in the swimming though, but getting in three core upper body sessions a week - something i havent done for ten years.

LMH again - when is the 1/2 ironman.

Good luck any racers. 

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Sounds like decent improvement Gobi. How long do you have to wait to race OW again?

Cheers NZC. Possibly is an Irish thing image Very nice with your gdaughter. That's the way it should be.

No worries Paddy. I'll drop him a mail now.

• Options
    Mava - I'm exactly the same - once I'm awake I have to get up! Well done on your harder run and good luck for the 5miler.

Postie - well done on your 5k!

40mins - good to see you again. I was thinking about you a few days ago and how when I first started posting on the forums you used to be 100mins.

NZC - sounds like a good run out. I'm glad they don't make me bake before races down here - and I'm pretty sure everyone else is glad too!!

The 5k race was fun. It is a handicap race with groups going off every 30seconds. There were 7 of us in my starting group. I looked around and decided that I could possibly beat 4 of the other 6, I didn't really know one and one had beaten me by 30s in the XC the previous week so was likely faster.

Off we went and I started out pretty strong. As expected the fastest girl went out in front, and I tagged along with her. 1st km flat - 4.19.

The girl I didn't know popped up along side me, but only for a few seconds then disappeared again. We started to catch some of the people who started 30s in front and then turned onto the hilly off-road section. This bit has 60m of climb in about 500m, as well as being quite muddy and wet track. I was feeling strong and went past a few people from earlier starts and the faster girl from our start. Maybe she was having a bad day. 5.19 for that km.

Next km is back onto road, drops 40m of height very steeply, climbs back again in the next 300m or so then drops steadily back to the beach road. 4.32.

Next km runs along the beach so battling sand and stream crossings (up to mid-calf given the rain). I caught a lot of people along here, and could see the others including the leader in front now to give me a target to aim at. 4.34 - very happy with this km.

Finally back to flat dry road for the last km. I caught all except 3 of the people in front, and was caught by 2 faster guys, including our clubs fastest runner who had run all the way through the field from last starter to win overall. Again very happy with 4.13 for the last km.

Total: 22.57, 6th place on handicap.

The club awards two trophys for this race. One to the fastest on handicap who is a novice (has never won a club trophy before) and one to fastest on handicap who is an "old-timer" (has won a club trophy before). With 5 in front of me I didn't think I stood a chance but it turns out they were all novices so I won the Galashiels trophy - a very lovely silver tray which is now hanging on my wall for the next year. image

Sorry for the long waffle - the short version:

What: 5k race + 3km warm up/down
    Why: Because it was there
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: Thursday

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Twiggy - July most likely
  • Options
    Evening all. Not had time to read back once again but I hope everyone is ok and that any racers this weekend have/had good luck.

What: 2.5 hr/ 17is miles long run
    Why: Decided that my shins felt ok and that I was being overly cautious. They felt pretty good throughout though I think a softer running surface for the next couple of weeks might be a good idea.
    Last hard: End of today was reasonably difficult
    Last rest: Yesterday

Night everyone, sleep tight.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Great report M! And obviously a good race...I'd be very pleased!

A strange sort of da, particularly weather wise. Set off to the BMC races and it was raining, and only 10 degrees...and windy, which is even worse for track runners than most.By the end the wind had dropped and the temperature was 15 degrees at 9.30 for the 5000...perfect running conditions. And I've got rather a sore throat that needs lubricating with a little red wine having called out lap times for around 80 laps of racing (at the 1500/5000/chase starts).

Nice swimming Gobi...sounds so simple!

40 mins: 10 miles indeed...I'm jealous! You have built back quite quickly. Well done!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

M. very tidy indeed, well done.

Me, Basingstoke Parkrun, 16th and a little under 20 mins,  which is pleasing esp as back was playing me up (physios booked for Thurs - which affect my style and achilles flared up - been rice'ing it all day, seems ok now, but will see tomorrow. )

Take care