Options

Berlin Marathon

I am running in the Berlin Marathon in September and am aiming for a sub3 time. However I find it hard to get my splits accurate. Does anyone know if Runners World or anyone else is going to have pace runners similiar to the London Marathon that you can run with.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    I know they have some pacers in berlin coz i saw the 3,30 ones last year. I will ask around for you if there are fast pace groups.
  • Options
    Thanks plum - much appreciated. Are you running Berlin this year?
  • Options
    Could anyone please tell me asap when the closing date for the Berlin Marathon is? I hope I haven't missed it...
    I'm keen to get going into marathon running again, as I've had some time out (almost became obsessed!) and I'm hoping to it in sub 3:15 following running the London Marathon 2004 in 3:26 - good to aim high! Many thanks.
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭
    OC2 - the closing date doesn't matter for Berlin as they always sell out well before that. Online entry is at www.davengo.com where you can also see the different prices for different times of entry.
  • Options

I am right, it is only in German is it not ?

2ndly, if I sent them a cheque in Nov, when should i hear ?
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭
    Top right corner you can chose English, then enter Berlin Marathon in teh search window.

No idea about postal entries, best check BM webpage there.
  • Options

It only does a partial translate in netscape. Works in i.e. though.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Cheapest price of 50 euros is only available until 30th April. I am about to take the plunge.
  • Options
    Thank you for your replies...I'm just in time then for the Berlin Marathon! However, I'm now thinking of doing the Cardiff Marathon at the beginning of October instead! Does anyone know which is the faster and better course, Berlin in September or Cardiff in October? Cardiff is 2 laps, so I'm probably thinking Berlin...but then they'll be more runners and it's more expensive to get to Berlin! Help!
  • Options

There is a large cardiff thread. Also seems to me that loads of forum people (aka peeps) are doing Cardiff.
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Did Berlin in 2004. Very flat, fast course & very well organised. Lots of support. Interesting city. Beer and mixed showers (!) at the end.

Did the Cardiff 1/2M in 2003. The marathon is 2 laps of the 1/2M course. Again, very flat and fast - though when I ran it it was quite `blowy` out by the barrage. Crowd support good though a bit patchy in places. No beer, no mixed showers. Nice friendly feel to the race.

Would recommend both events. If you want the big city marathon buzz then I would probably plump for Berlin. Cardiff, on the other hand, is undoubtedly cheaper & is probably more convenient (doesn`t require a plane flight). If I had to chose between the 2 I would go for Berlin but as said above, Cardiff is fun.
  • Options
    SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Beetle, having just booked two return flights to Berlin for a total of about £68, and just about to book a double room for 4 nights for approx £300, I'd say that depending on where you live in the UK, it may not actually turn out to be that much more expensive! ;-)
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Susie Bee - I agree. I live just down the road from Luton Airport. It`s cheaper for me to fly to Berlin than to catch the train to Cardiff. Seem`s crazy to me but there you go.

I considered running Berlin again but in the end decided to try Amsterdam.

Have a fab time in Berlin. It`s a great race.
  • Options
    I have booked my place and am looking forward to it but I have a gripe. It would seem from the website that unlike other big city marathons, Rome, Paris, London and the like you have to pay extra for absolutely everything, not just the championship chip but even the obligatory finisher's T- shirt that normally arrives in the pack given at the expo.Have I got it wrong?
  • Options
    LarsLars ✭✭✭
    laura - you are pretty spot on. there is a big demand for berlin so they can make the prices. but other than london you have a place for sure for your 50 EURO.

At my last marathon I paid 13 EURO including medal and shirt for a 100% flat course (unfortunately mostly on cobbles) and my next one cost 33 Euro including medal and tecnical shirt.
    You have to decide for yourself if you want to pay for the experience Berlin or do smaller marathons.
  • Options
    my last marathon was Rome this year which was very small but for 18 euro's we got a back pack, T shirt, medal etc, fantastic value and it is the smaller races which in theory would find it harder to support financially!

Paris and London both are big marathons and provided chips and t shirts all in so I am disappointed that Berlin is not doing the same.

I will enjoy it regardless but it is a shame that my friend who is doing their first marathon will not get the benefit and novelty of the pre race pack
  • Options
    you get most of the money for the chip back if you are capable at the end of bening down to untie it! Expo does cheap T shirts and a lot of the stuff there is cheaper than FLM.

It is more expensive for overseas entrants to enter for some reason as it is for Overseas peeps in London. cUT YOUR LOSSES BY DRINKING LOADS OF THE FREE BEER LAURA.

You do get a pre race pack and there are usually lots more freebies at the expo than in London
  • Options
    I'm hoping to run a half marathon in February, but would love to do a marathon either later in the year or the following year.
    The scheduled training starts for the half later this year, but once I have completed that, have I enough time to prepare suffiencently for the Berlin Marathon?
    It's about six months. I have been runnning for a year and have completed a number of 10Ks already and run at least four times a week.
    Any comments would be appreciated! :)
  • Options
    I would be most grateful if anyone could recommend a reasonably priced hotel near the start of the Berlin Marathon and flights, as unfortunately I forgot to book before the end of April and get the cheaper flights deal (and I've never been before!)
    Many thanks and hope the training is going well!
  • Options
    I'm doing Berlin again this year after a disaster at London....Berlin's a great course for a PB as has already been mentioned and what's more, us ladies even get a sunflower at the end! Who need's a t-shirt?!!! Last year I managed to get a really nice hotel inclusive of flights for just over £200 pp!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about London - good on you for going to Berlin to make amends! How and who did you go through to get such a good flight and hotel package? Thanks
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    OC2
    Ran Berlin last year.

cant help with flights - don`t know where you`re flying from. I got a cheap Easyjet from Luton to Berlin. From the airport it`s a quick train ride in. Get off @ Friederichstrasse.

With regard to accommodation try Hotel Unter Den Linden http://www.hotel-unter-den-linden.de/

It`s 3 mins walk from Friederichstrasse.

It`s cheap - basic - but clean. Close to start and finish (only one hotel is closer - the Adlon & that`s 5*). Hotel UDL is about 1/2 mile straight along the road from the Brandenburg Gate. Very convenient for the rest of Berlin too.

If you want a bath - ask otherwise you get a shower only.

Have a great race. Wonderful marathon.
  • Options
    I've just booked my flight with Air Berlin from Stansted for £126. There was a flight for £70 from Ryanair but the times were either very early or very late.

Can anyone recommend some hotels? I tried the Hotel Unter Den Linden that Beetle recommended but they're all booked. I'm looking for something not too expensive.

Thanks
  • Options
    hotel amelie (think that's how you spell it)
    reasonable, basic room. But is slap bang next to the start
  • Options
    Thanks Sprint but I had just finally given in and stopped hunting for hotels. I've booked at the Courtyard Marriott City Center for 119 euros/night incl breakie. I'm sure it's not the cheapest I could get but hotel hunting was driving me insane and at least at a Marriott, I know what I'm getting.
  • Options
    Booked pretty last min if I remember correctly - sometimes it's cheaper but it can sometimes work the other way as well - not sure that was particularly helpful to you all!!! Expedia are usually pretty competitive....think I'm having my arm twisted to do Cardiff now anyway - can't help but think it's practical now I've just bought a place in Wales!!!!
  • Options
    Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone

Booked in the race, flying from heathrow about £93 not as cheap as SuzieB but more convenient for me.

Hotel Berlin is where i am staying and trying to hit sub- 3-15 at this one after 3.24 in London.

Hope all the training is going well. I am trying to train smarter this time as overtrained for London. So it will be short and faster hopefully for a couple of 10k's incorporating speedwork and hills, then Berlin specific from mid July, about 10 week preparation.
  • Options
    Anyone flying from 'Oop North'? Cheapest seems to be Easyjet from Liverpool...
  • Options
    SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Like Doylie, I'm aiming for sub-3:15, after DNF'ing at London, and will be following a similar plan.

Nice photo, Doylie, btw though I hope the (race?) result was worth the pain..;-)
  • Options
    I will see after Saturday (White Peak Marahton) what time I will give myself to aim for. Would like to give myself another crack at 3;15 and should be within scope if i stay injury free, perhaps we should all meet up on the day and run round holding hands.