Options

New runner lower back pain

Hi,

After much hooing and haaing I finally put on my new trainers this morning and went for my first brisk walk/jog. However, as i'm typing this i'm almost bent double with pain in my lower back.

It started as I switched from a minute's walk into a minute's jog, and boy does it hurt. It's right in the lower middle of my back about 3 inches up from the base of my spine.

Did anyone else suffer from this when they started out originally? The way it feels at the moment makes me think I wont be able to run let alone jog image

I did a lot of stretching before I went out including back sretches so wasn't expecting this. Any advice on your prevention/cures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Simon.

Comments

• Options

Morning Simon, you need to stretch after you run, not before. I'm lucky not be be plagued with bank pain but I always do some lower back stretches after running and that helps keep any niggles at bay.

You may also have quite a weak core, (the bit that pilates is supposed to target). Doing simple strength exercises like the plank will strengthen this and help your body support itself better when running. If you have a google for runners strength exercises there should be a lot of examples out there.  

• Options
    I used to struggle with lower back pain on long runs but as Wobbled mentioned,I have done lots of core exercises and I have no trouble at all.I dont stretch before I run either.I go to a running club and we always warm up before with certain exercises but then stretch after.
  • Options

Thankyou for your replies.

I'm a tad confused with the stretch 'after' jogging not before adivce though? I remember at school (25 years ago - gulp!) that our P.E teachers used to always make us stretch calfs and hamstrings etc before doing any type of run. Is that old hat now then? Come to think of it I always used to ache before I started running back then!

Is warming up different from stretching? What do you do to warm up? Sorry for the thick questions but I am a real newbie at this.

Simon

• Options

Yep, your clue is in 25-year's ago. image

Warming up is literally that, warming up your muscles with some gentle exercises, so walking, slow jogging, a few star jumps maybe if you want to recreate those PE lessons. Exercises then shortens the muscles, so you need to stretch them after running. It should reduce soreness and it will improve your recovery.

Some people do warm up, stretch, then begin their run proper and then cool down and stretch again. Personally I don't, and it is one of those areas where you'll never find total agreement.

• Options
    We do something called Dynamic warm ups while we are walking along at the start we stretch our legs on the move,I think you can google it on here.I have found it helps me a lot but sometimes if Im just doing a short run I dont bother with anything. I suppose Wobbled its as individual as running itself,you have to find what works for you.
  • Options

warming up your muscles is crucial.However, for your lower back, stuff like yoga regular will really help. Certain asanas are designed to increase flexibility there. Some "jerky" or repetitive exercises can help but not in the same way as you are likely to strain. Gentle easing in and out of movements is far better, in my experience.

Yoga aint just for wimmin. I am big built , 6 footer that did ground fighting.

• Options

lower back pain is symptomatic of a weak core. To resolve this issue longterm you will need to strentghen your core imho.
    I used to suffer from lower backache when running untill my personal trainer down the gym put focus on strengthening my core, not had even one ache for a long while now

• Options

Get the same thing. 

Key things are to start with a slow warm up and avoid any climbs early in your runs at they cause more stress through the lower back - as can sharp turns or uneven ground for the first 5 minutes of your run.

Personally I do stretch (after a slow warm up jog) and again at the end. Remember to also stretch out your hamstrings, as tight hamstrings also put more strain through the lower back - so perhaps may be a contributing factor to your pain. If not, no harm done by loosening them, so all a benefit.

Bar that as above, so so some work on the core and exercises to strengthen that area.

Final point would be to consider your non-running life. Sedentary office jobs often create bad posture; which then comes painfully into light when you start to exercise. So don't neglect the 9-5 vices that can contribute to pain when you put your trainers on. 

• Options

All good advice cheers.

I have a park at the back of my house which I chose as mywalking/jogging area today so i'm wondering if that's the issue as the ground is very uneven?

I might get up at stupid o'clock tomorrow morning and try a road route, although I dont have much in the way of reflective gear to run in image

How long did it take you guys to get from complete novice slow walker to steady jogger?

Simon

• Options
    I've got another angle on it too..

As people have said, lower back pain is often symptomatic of weak core muscles (abdomen etc).

What those weak core muscles should be doing is helping you to keep a good erect posture whilst running.

If you get someone to look at you from the side whilst running, your neck, spine and bottom should be aligned in a straight line.

A typical problem is bending forward from the waist while running. With this, although you should be leaning forward, the pivot point should be your ankles, not your waist. When running like this your back will form a curve such that your bum and head are back whilst your torso is straining forward.

Your core muscles should also be tilting your pelvis slightly towards your belly button. Though make sure it's your stomach muscles and not clenched buttocks doing it.

Finally take smaller, faster steps and try and let your legs relax and your feet land under your body rather than in front of it.

It all sounds a bit complicated and uncomfortable, but it actually makes things a lot easier. For a good few weeks after starting to run this way I found my stomach muscles killed like I'd been doing sit ups rather than running!

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong image
  • Options
    It is that if you are a first time runner or a beginner, you should have to scope some ideas to the experienced runners that would let you have a hint with it. Now when it comes that after doing it and you suffer with a back pain try to see with the doctor or some alternatives like mctimoney Eastleigh to have a treatment of it.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like tight hamstrings and hip-flexors. Stronger abs would help too. There are exercises called williams flexion exercises that are good for back pain. Good luck!