Options

Off road V Tarmac

Im following a training plan pretty close because the one i use has plenty of variety and seems to suit me.  I do most of my easy, tempo and speedwork run on a well surfaced canal path.  However when it comes to the long run I head off into the countryside for a change of scenery.  These runs tend to be on rough bridleways and narrow footpaths in undulating countryside.  Its very nice but im about a minute off the pace i should be doing.

Is it ok to do my long runs in such terrain and is there a guide that can convert your off road pace  to let you know what to expect on tarmac?

Comments

• Options

It's fine to do your long runs off road.

Tbh unless it's very poorly surfaced (e.g. very muddy / long grass) there will be very little difference for different surfaces. Hills however will slow you down a bit.

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Sweet FA is the difference and unless the hills are big they don't make much of an impact either.

You may find that your choice of footwear for the off road vs road runs may have an impact. I have some trainers that I just can't run off road in.

If you're stopping to open gates, climb styles, jump ditches etc then it may add a minute to a ten mile run.

• Options

I'm much slower off-road compared to my road times, even over similar levels of climbing.

It does depend quite a bit on how close together the gates & stiles are. Inland on fields etc. I reckon it can easily add a minute a mile. On the coast path there are far fewer stiles & my running isn't interupted as much (though that tends to be pretty hilly).

• Options
    I always do my long runs off road but always try to stick to the pace that I use on road. If I have a workout at 9:25 pace I always try to push to do at 9:20 etc. If I do long runs in different paces, some easy, some steady let's say I have Garmin set to lap race and it shows overall average pace per lap so I can go faster on flat and slower on hills if need be and it's going to average itself out.
  • Options

I'd have thought it must make some difference.

The canal is probably flat whereas the trails aren't.  The canal path is probably straighter (certainly no sharp turns) and won't have the stiles and gates.  Its probably also more stable underfoot and assuming its harder will give more energy back with each stride.

• Options
    chrisggchrisgg ✭✭
    I know it's a very old post but I often look at old posts myself for answers to questions. I find that off road running over footpaths and bridleways in the UK can add a good minute to your pace per mile and up to 2 minutes in poor muddy conditions. My brother recorded pace in all his road races and XC/multi-terrain races from 5K to marathons and the average difference was about a minute and a half slower pace per mile. It's nothing to do with hills...there are plenty of hilly road races and hills come down as well as go up. It's the generally softer surface which absorbs your energy, mud which makes you slip and slide, tall grass and weeds which forces you to lift your legs higher, tree roots and brambles to avoid, stony surfaces and potholes to negotiate, frequent twists and turns over uneven ground which prevent you getting into a stride rhythm.