Options

How hilly is the Great North Run?

Does anyone know how hilly the GNR course is? The official guide shows gradients in feet above sea level etc, but does anyone know how steep its hills are in degrees?

Comments

• Options
    It's not very hilly at all.
  • Options

There are hills. But no won't notice because the course is all on long, main roads.

There are gradual climbs here and there. But the only steep uphill is around 10-11 mile.
    Even that not bad. There is a big dip before the final mile. I think its before the roundabout,
    turn left where that pub is and then its along the seafront to the finish.

I don't think you will have anything to worry about.

• Options
    this is the easiest half marathon there is.  o/a it's downhill from the start to the finish. the only hill that i noticed and i use term "hill" very loosely, was just before you drop down to the seafront with a mile and a quarter to go.  if you avoid the human traffic very fast times are achievable.
  • Options

I was told and, as you say, the race info shows, a considerable hill towards the end, so when I did the GNR, as it was my first time ever running this distance, I paced conservatively and held myself back for this "hill".

When it came, it was more of a long drag and was easily manageable - lots around me walked it but I found i didn't have to drop my pace.

I was delighted with my finishing time - well it was my first Half, but the following Spring, I did Hastings. Now that was hilly but as I knew what to expect I knocked 15 mins off my GNR time.

Basically - Don't be intimidated - if you've trained, you'll stride up that "slope"!!!! .

I'm really envious of you - maybe because it was my first, I absolutely loved it - the only thing that ached the following day were my cheeks (facial) as I'd grinned all the way round!

• Options

Rupert - good luck you'll be fine.

As others have said, the hills are fine.  John Reid Road, I think about 9ish miles is a slope uphill, but it's steady and straightforward.  The longer slope at 11ish is no worries.  Keep your eye out for Elvis at the bus stop at the top of this slope!!  The hardest hill on the course, IMHO, is the steep drop to the seafront at 12 miles.

Enjoy!

• Options
    cap66 wrote (see)
    this is the easiest half marathon there is. 

No it isn't! image

• Options

rupert , overall , the course is downhill , that is why there is no world record times officially recognised on the course .

you do hit a bit of a climb from about 9 1/2 to 11 miles but it is not too much to worry about as the locals really get behind you at this point  so you wont even notice you are doing it !

this will be 9th great north so if it was that bad i wouldn't keep coming back !

enjoy , its a belting weekend !!!

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    sky blue sam's right, but don't forget quite a large part of the downhill is from the start to the Tyne Bridge. From there you're running just above river level to just above sea-level so I can't imagine the overall downhill gradient is significant at all once you ignore the first mile and a half or so. As well as the slight rise sam mentions, there's another at about five miles up to Heworth but neither are anything to worry about.
  • Options

As I remember it - a lot of it was a very gradual incline and then it plummets down to the coast very quickly - but you cant really use that hill as it turns 90 degrees left and the finish is just a bit up the way.

No real hills.

• Options

Cougie is absolutely correct. A gradual incline for a lot of the way. I was amazed to discover that point to point it's downhill! On a hot day with little shade it feels like a long drag but the crowd will get you through. I've seen much worse though.

• Options

I last did the GNR in 1998 and 2000 and can remember a hill about 5-6 miles in.  I was really unfit in those days and had no idea what I was letting myself in for so maybe I remember it as worse than it actually is!!   My over-riding memory is of Jimmy Saville, flanked by bouncers overtaking me up the hill image

So I'm back this year on a mission to beat my woeful time - can't wait!!

• Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    cap66 wrote (see)
    this is the easiest half marathon there is. 

No it isn't! image

yes it is