Options

Two marathons too close?

MsEMsE ✭✭✭
I am contemplating racing two marathons next year that are six weeks apart. The second marathon is four weeks prior to a Half Ironman I have entered. Can anybody advise whether this is sufficient time for my body to recover (a) between marathons and (b) between the second marathon and HIM? Should I treat one or both more as a training run?

It has been several years since I did much racing and I didn't do more than half marathon distance then. In addition, my body has gone through four pregnancies so is not as robust as it used to be although i think the hormonal effects have gone by now as my youngest is 17 months.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Um, anybody? Otherwise maybe I should take the silence as a maybe...?
  • Options

I've only recently completed my first HIM and wouldn't have considered one marathon during the 20 week plan, let alone two! The amount of time you need to spend running for the marathon is going to impact the amount of time you can spend on cycling and swimming. You'll also need to take into account recovery from the LSRs. 

Which is your A race? As you are just coming back to training, I'd concentrate on that next year and look at doing a HIM or marathon at another time in the year. You'll have some base fitness after the HIM so I'd look at doing the marathon after that. That said, make sure you still allow enough time to get the long runs in. 

• Options

Two marathons six weeks apart is very doable, I have at times done marathons 1 day apart so six weeks gives plenty of time to have a 2 week easy recovery, 2 week build up and another 2 week taper. However you shouldn't try to race both, one of them is going to be a training run. It does all rather depend on how used you are to endurance events and by your post the answer to that would appear to be not very.

Given that you have a 1/2 IM I would in your position probably ditch the 2nd Marathon I don't think your legs would recover to enable you to do yourself justice at the 1/2 IM. You would be better off spending your time cycling, its all about the bike. Though I'm sure you could do all three if you wanted but there would almost certainly be a decline in performance, it all depends a) how much you want to compromise your performance over the 3 events, b) how much you want 3 medals c) Priorities

Good luck 

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Ninja and DDave. I think I will opt for the first marathon and then leave 10 weeks to the HIM to fit in cycling and swimming. I never fit in as much cycling as running as I usually have children with me and when I can escape for a bit of training it inevitably means a run is more efficient use of the time than a bike ride. I think I may have to resort to the turbo trainer and fit in specific rides to improve road handling at other times. Especially as the HIM I am doing is a hilly one and I have realised that the bike leg is crucial to maintaining or improving my position.

My base fitness is reasonably good as I probably spend about 14-16 hours a week running the school run (albeit pushing a buggy full of children), training (running intervals/tempo sessions and a recovery and long run), playing hockey, doing Bootcamp circuits and pilates. I feel quite fit and managed to race (as in push the pace) on a recent duathlon so am thinking about embarking upon a long route to the first marathon to keep me focused. Ninja/Dave - could you recommend a decent schedule that might be suitable given the long time frame? Your advice is greatly appreciated!
  • Options

MSE: You have to cycle more than run for a half IM, I reckon the split is 50/30/20 roughly in  most training plans. Mind you I also run too much but probably all Tri-athletes from a running background do until they manage to convince themselves to "let go". Slowly but Slowly my cycling is going up and the running down as I realise that maintaining my speed isn't feasable when IM training. You don't mention what your swimming is like!

I use "Going Long" by Joe Friel for my training but there are numerous 1/2 IM schedules out there, assuming that your 1/2 IM is next summer you have plenty of time to get there. Enjoy the journey

• Options
    Forgot to add doing your schedule with 4 kids and one at 17 months must be a logistics nightmare, I find it hard enough with  a 4 & 6 year old. Thats as a dad as a mum it has to be 100 times harder.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    DDave - do you really spend 50% of your time swim training?! My technique needs work as I am not hugely efficient apparently. I would look at a 40-45 minute swim leg at current pace. Obviously in a pool it is quicker but that is with the tumble turns and push offs. Yes, swimming. It's funny how that part gets overlooked! I am not going to move into triathlons per se mind, so will just try do myself justice at this attempt at a HIM. I wonder how many runners have said that... image
    And thank you for the sentiments. Logistical nightmare yes but as my OH says, it is through my choice I do these things and purely for selfish purposes. What can you say, eh?
  • Options
    I think you will find its 50% on the bike training...........30% running and 20% swimming.....................good luckimage