Options

Parkrun Sheffield

parkrun info

Runners of Sheffield area, this is a friendly timed 5k run every sat @ 9am. Being going for a few months and has grown to 90+ runners on 18/09/10.

I thought it was time for a dedicated thread to the event. support, advice and general nonsence chat are all needed. 

how many of those 90+ use the RW forums, how many who have not done are intrested in doing it but havent plucked up the courage to do it?

Hi, i am Gareth, I am a hallamshire harrier and have done 7 parkruns after todays. I also chat on the sheffield social in clubhouse on the runnersworld forum.

Comments

• Options

oh...morning!

I have seen this, and briefly considered it...but then looked at some of the previous times and crawled back into my hole! As a VERY newbie runner( 3months in!), who has only just done her first 5K race...and took 36 mins...I decided I would be far too embarrassed to do this with "proper" runners LOL

I might eventually pluck up courage.......I'm off to meadowhell instead this morning to try and sort out my running shoes at the sweatshop! A step in the right direction at least!

Maybe see you in a few weeks when I've improved a bit!image

• Options

SW - don't worry about your time, this really is a good event to come along too and it will only make you run better.

Also, come and chat on the Sheffield Social thread - we all run and get good avice if you need it, but we also spend a lot of time talking rubbish and stuff.

• Options

SW - Agreed with PJAZ. You certainly wouldn`t be last and it is very friendly and the early start makes it quite low key.

GI - If points are awarded for marshalling, don`t you think I ought to get points for supporting from the playground!??!image

• Options

SW come along and give it a go, you wil find your times will improve as you do more parkruns

ET points for the playground support sounds fair enougth.

• Options
    *waves*    I went as a first timer today & got a PB image  Would love to go weekly but not sure my 17 year old would appriciate being got up at 8am on a saturday to look after his younger siblings image
  • Options

This is the closest parkrun to me being about an hours drive. I have got Mablethorpe half coming up but once thats out the way I will probably come and give it a go

SW - my time for 5K is currently about 34mins so I know how you feel!!

• Options
    the egyptian toe wrote (see)

SW - Agreed with PJAZ. You certainly wouldn`t be last and it is very friendly and the early start makes it quite low key.

GI - If points are awarded for marshalling, don`t you think I ought to get points for supporting from the playground!??!image

Paul Rigg 2 wrote (see)

SW come along and give it a go, you wil find your times will improve as you do more parkruns

ET points for the playground support sounds fair enougth.

SW - come along & try. you might surprise yourself. there is some people who come & run 40min plus. everyone gets the same support.

ET - i agree, supporting from the park while watching your child in the park should get bonus points.

• Options

My first time today and really enjoyed it. Very low-key and friendly so don't be put off thinking it's full of speed demons - It isn't.

Well done Betty and make sure your there next week. Getting a 17 year old up to look after his younger siblings is character building. Kids these days just get it far too easy.

Anyway, I enjoyed the run and then went back to support my missus and to offer advice which surprisingly (to me) wasn't very well received. Women eh!

• Options

Finished in 27:15 thanks to PJAZ. Was 66th overall & 19th in my age group image

I'm Liz & also go on the Sheffield Social.

R Dave....I agree & he's very good with them, even the youngest two who are a bit ferral at times

• Options
    wanted to do this today but had to work image still might make it next weekend
  • Options

So its thursday night.

who is parkrunning sheffield saturday?

• Options
    Hope the weather improves then I`ll be in me usual spot!image
  • Options

Enjoyed the park run this morning

The race has now grown to 124 people. This has raised some discussion as to how many more people the course can take in its present route/form.

The main problem in my view is the start, with so many people heading towards the small loop. One solution in my view is to run up to the lake first but that would probally mean doing 2 small loops at the end.

Any ideas?

• Options

I agree Riggsy. I got away quickly both weeks but it does feel a little crowded and chaotic around the first loop.

In summer you could get rid of the first loop and run up the access road and across the grass to the pond (probably need a few cones just to mark out the turns) Can't see this working in autumn and spring although winter and a hard frost might allow it to happen.

Do you think we'll have a decline in numbers as it gets further towards winter? I have mentioned PR to a few people and most seem keen to get involved. Next week is week 3 for me and I've got 5 others involved already.

Enjoyed yesterday. Had low expectations due to hard session on Thursday but had a new PB. I really don't understand it sometimes

• Options
    R Dave wrote (see)

I agree Riggsy. I got away quickly both weeks but it does feel a little crowded and chaotic around the first loop.

In summer you could get rid of the first loop and run up the access road and across the grass to the pond (probably need a few cones just to mark out the turns) Can't see this working in autumn and spring although winter and a hard frost might allow it to happen.

Do you think we'll have a decline in numbers as it gets further towards winter? I have mentioned PR to a few people and most seem keen to get involved. Next week is week 3 for me and I've got 5 others involved already.

Enjoyed yesterday. Had low expectations due to hard session on Thursday but had a new PB. I really don't understand it sometimes

I was thinking this morning when taking the dog for his first walk of the day and getting soaked what the numbers would have been like if it had been like this on Saturday.  I also wonder if the return of the students has increased the numbers noticed some sheffield medics tops in the runners.

None of this is critisim of the organisers who do a brilliant job, just looking at ways of improving a really good event.

Well done on the PB

• Options
    Think I'll give this a go next weekend. I did the Leeds one at the start of the year and enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

On the route - simple solution to avoid overcrowding:

cut the loop off the start...run the course as normal but finish futher up the path just past the loos/cafe...

Would that be long enough?

• Options
    Am hoping to be there next Sat with my OH image
  • Options
    Got to agree with everyone the start is getting to be a bit of a crush, this week was my fifth time on the PR, the first one i did (week 4) had only 46 runners, this week 125, if it keeps growing at that rate there will be 200+ by next year!
    I got trapped on the inside on the first mini loop and put my foot straight down a leaf covered drain, had to run all 5k with a soaking shoe, oh well character building.
  • Options
    How was today's turn-out? I've been nursing a cold all week that has developed in to a chesty cough leaving me a little short on breath.

I got up early enough but then thought better of it. Got a X-Country race this afternoon so just doing the one race today.

Hope it was a good one for everyone
  • Options
    i didn't do it this week as i did the Endcliffe park 10k on Sunday, wonder if that might have kept the numbers down a bit.
  • Options
    I did it for the 2nd time but didn't beat my PB. Took my husband along for his first time & he did well, despite coming straight off nights & being at the tailend of a cold
  • Options
    Think I#m the only one who's bookmarked this. Anyway beat my PB in 26.43.  Goal to get under 25 image
  • Options
    Hi BB nice to see every one after the run just got under 25 (24.57) not my best but it just about sums up how my running has been going image
  • Options
    Im still here BB!

I wonder if the run will still be well attended as it gets colder. I reckon we will be down to less than 50 over the winter.
  • Options

Hi FF.....any reason for not being on form..inuries etc?  On my second parkrun, I was a whole minute slower than this week, so about 30 secs off my PB.  I just had no go in me that week.

@ RD.....yes I was wondering that. I don't mind the cold or rain but won't be coming in snow or if there's ice.  For one I have to travel from Hathersage & the top's early doors can be dodgey but I don't fancy slipping while running either.  I don't bounce as much as I used to these days & the ground feels harder image

• Options
    Just feel sluggish after the robin hood marathon all my runs have been the same I just don't feel like I have any go in my legs  
  • Options
    Yes I can imagine it does that to you.  I no expert on running but what does google suggest about recovery after a marathon?  Low glygogen levels maybe?   When I started last year with better eating & exercise I used to do carb cycling. On my high carb days I'd replenish my glygogen levels & by then I was feeling tied
  • Options
    As i'm running the worksop half on Sunday, i've volunteered to help at this saturdays parkrun, they are expecting a good turn out because lucazade are coming, what ever that might mean.