Options

Would a 10K plan be useful?

MsEMsE ✭✭✭
I have just completed a 12 week half marathon training plan and have 10 weeks before I start a marathon training schedule. I wondered about following an 8 week 10K plan to get some speed in my legs but wondered whether the benefits would be lost when I begin my marathon training schedule.

An alternative would be for me to fill the 10 weeks with some base bike training and swim technique lessons as I am also doing a half ironman 10 weeks after the marathon. I am keen not to lose any speed or fitness however.

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Options

Have you done a marathon before?

If you have and still are maintaining longish runs of 16 miles + then do the10k plan

If you havent or havent maintained the distance work then I would recommend doing a bridging plan - part of the problem with most marathon plans is that they ramp up the distances too quickly!

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Thanks Curly. No it'll be my first and that is exactly the sort of advice that is really useful as it will be a new experience doing long runs of more than 14 miles. I trained for London in 2002 and got up to 16 miles in training but not without ITB strain before a torn ACL ended my marathon plans. Am planning on following Hal Higdon's plan for advanced runners as although it'll be my first marathon, my mileage is currently somewhere around 55-65 miles a week. Do you have a plan you would recommend? I really like Hal's advice but am open to alternative suggestions from seasoned marathoners.
  • Options

Advanced Marathoning' by Peter Pfitzinger is supposed to be really good and gets mentioned on here alot, it has plans for your sort of milage too.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Paul - I have just had a look and ordered that book. It looks right up my street! Thanks for the tip. Happy running! image I actually think 10K training might be a waste now and will focus on some base bike training and swimming before marathon training commences.