Options

THE SUSSEX MARATHON FESTIVAL

124»

Comments

• Options
    I just wanted to say a few words. I thought overall the organisation wasn't bad a tall. It was quiet hard at the fuelling stations when runners were approaching from both directions but couldn't fault the marshalling. In fact the marshals were so encouraging and friendly especially when you consider the ones on the there and back section cheered every runner on 4 times!
    I have never run such a friendly race. I spoke to so many runners on course and couldn't believe the support from other runners going the other way whether they were faster or slower. I would like to say a big thanks to all of you. It made me realise what wonderful people runners are. I was proud to be part of it.
    Now for my performance. My second marathon. Last year at Brighton I did 4hrs 12. Once I read about the battle course and had been coughing like a gooden all week I decided sub 4.30 would be acceptable. The course was at least twice as hilly as I expected so I took the decision to walk the steep sections and not kill my self. Amazingly I still came in just under 4.30!
    The hardest thing I have ever done but thanks to the amazing people on the day the most fun I have EVER had running.
    Thanks guys
  • Options

If the race organisers are reading this - please keep the hills!  I loved it even though it was much tougher than I thought it would be.  The only issue for me was running along the main road, which really wasn't nice at all: seeing runners almost all the time coming at you was.

If the road section is kept - then please ban earphones.  A runner in front of me got a nasty shock as he clearly didn't hear a car approaching (slowly) and nearly ran into it. 

• Options
    I thought that everything was well put together !!
    Apart from the course that is, I know it's a marathon & I know it's
    a challenge but when you look up that beast of a hill & with
    the exception of a couple of runners everyone was walking that
    tells you all you need to know about the course !
  • Options
    One other thought - I did find a bit hairy on the main road when there were runners going in opposite directions and cars (which often weren't going that slowly) only a few inches from my side!  Nearly got clobbered by a wing mirror at one point.  Trouble is without closing what is a busy main road, and all the ensuing issues that would have caused, there wasn't much that could have been done to avoid it.
  • Options
    Dan79Dan79 ✭✭

This is only my second marathon after Nottingham last year. I can honestly say that this was ten times as tough but I have absolutely no complaints. We all knew it was going to be a hilly course, so I altered my training plan accordingly. If you don’t like it there are plenty more marathons you can enter. I found completing this course in under 4 hours (3:58) to be satisfying due to the nature of the hills. They were daunting yes but there was no way that I was going to walk up them. Partly because I knew that I’d seize up!

Everyone involved in the organisation did a great job and offered very encouraging support. One minor gripe was a water station at around 17 miles had run out of water as I passed. Frankly I think they should have had more water rather than cola. Who drinks cola on long runs?!?!

On another note I hear that a small percentage of the locals/road users were a bit annoyed because of the disruption caused to a small stretch of traffic. I don’t have much sympathy for them. It’s not as though they’ve had no notice leading up to the event. There must have been an alternative route for them to take around the bustling small town of Battle. Anyway thank you to the majority of locals who offered us runners some much needed support.

Well done to everyone who completed what must surely be one of the toughest UK marathons. See you all next year? image

• Options

For those of you brave enough to relive the memories of yesterday - here's the race gallery:

Sussex Marathon Race Gallery

Well done everyone on completing the race yesterday !

• Options

That was my first marathon but whilst great scenery I can't see myself doing that again. The course was brutal - the only word for it. I like a few hills but about 20 hills and all too steep to coast down was too much.  I was advised not to drive for a while after the race as I was in such bad shape and can hardly walk today!.  

That said it was a beautiful course and whilst I thought I wouldn't like the idea of an out and back it was great for the atmosphere being with other runners and lots of repeat support that kept me going. I thought the organisation was good and well marshalled. Only gripe of the organisation I have was that rhe course profile posted was very misleading. Showed 3 climbs and noted two hills of 3% hills avg and 900 ft total climbing. I wish!.  I had 4000ft logged on my GPS.

But glad I did it and the difficulty of the course added to feeling of achievement. One for the masochists in future. Plus they can only get easier from now on!. Think I'll find a flat or undulating one next time and see if I can get close to 3hrs 

• Options
    This was my first marathon and I found it really challenging. But as people have said, it was a very friendly race, lots of support from other runners, and at least it won't be too difficult to get a PB on a different course!
  • Options
    I thought personally the organisation was excellent,I was prepared for a few hills, but not that many, but saying that, it made for a fantastic challenge,I know the organisers wanted a different route to the final one, and the traffic problems were not ideal, but that was due to the council and road closures.The support on the route by marshalls,locals and fellow runners was really encouraging.You have to remember this was the first staging of this event and there were always going to be a few niggles. Some marathons have been running for years and still can't get it right.Towards the last couple of hills I was saying to myself never again, but I reckon I'll give it another crack. Fantastic medal at the finish, proper tech shirt, bottle of water, choccy bar, flapjack and cheese roll, can't be bad. Thumbs up from me! Well done.
  • Options

The course was very tough, however the ideal preparation for the Comrades. Just what i needed!!

Well organised event with lots of give aways. Will be back next year!

Running Milan Marathon this weekend, legs have just recovered. Lets hope its not as hilly as Sussex as I am aiming for a PB.

• Options
    robotrobot ✭✭✭
    im still trying to shake off the runners knee that this race seemed to bring on!

did anyone get a medium shirt? they gave me a large and i would like to swap it for a medium if anyone my large.
  • Options
    this was my first marathon. please tell me this was a tough one if its  not  i think  i will not run another
  • Options
    I think it must be up there with the hardest I'm doing Brighton next year much softer on the legs !!!
  • Options
    robotrobot ✭✭✭
    i still havent quite shaken off the runners knee i developed after this event
  • Options
    Sounds like this is just what the doctor ordered for my training next year image
  • Options

Well, its flat compared to the South Downs Marathon and probably mountainous compared to Abingdon Marathon.

You'd be hard pressed to find a harder road one though. 

• Options
    robotrobot ✭✭✭
    there wasn't an inch of flat as i remember.
  • Options
    Yeah there was I thnk they called it the start / Finnish line image