Options

The Vit 2011

Comments

• Options

You'll love it.

My first Vit remains my best ever tri: Despite the tantrums at the start, the swearing on the bike and the cramp on the run.

I still think of the last leg of the run, believing that I would make it over the line, to get me through hard training runs now.

• Options
    Hope I'll enjoy it - am scared silly at the moment to be honest image  Only done one sprint before and will only be able to do one other tri next year before the Vit.  Am over weight and under fit and have no idea what I'm doing!  But I'm stubborn as they come so I'm hoping that will get me through! image  Gonna be my only ever middle distance tri so I want to at least attempt to make it a good experience!!  image
  • Options
    Two-Stroke Tart wrote (see)
    Gonna be my only ever middle distance tri so I want to at least attempt to make it a good experience!!  image
    Yeah.  right.
  • Options
    I have a deal with Mr TST; he will support me, run me around , help me train and generally put up with me until I've done the Vit and raised loads of money doing it, then I drop down and do olys or sprints.  I'm going to struggle to fit all the trainnig in as it is given I already have committments to trampolining and gymnastics clubs, so this is a once in a lifetime thing.  image 
  • Options

Dear all,

To ensure the TW Vit Register is kept as accurate as possible I would like to confirm that I shall be both in the Beer Tent and On Board the Vit Ship 2011, although I may take a leave of absence from the former (way more important) for say, six hours or so.  Tell me they serve Adnams Bitter ... mmm.

Rw

• Options
    TST, you do know that I said I would only ever run one marathon and have now done 4. Just thought i would warn you lol.
  • Options
    TST: once you've crossed the finish line at the Vit, said to yourself in one breath "that was awesome" and then 30 seconds later said "I'm never doing that again, I could never run another step" you'll soon get over it.

Some weeks later you'll be thinking "If I just went a little bit slower, did a few more longer bike rides.... Next thing you'll have downloaded an ironman training schedule and be thinking which IM race to do in 2012 or beyond"

It will happen. Myself and probably about 95 percent of the pirates who've started an Ironman did this.

Its a slippery slope. If you don't mind where it leads then stay on it, but if you're sensible you'll give up, buy some chocolate and just watch sport on TV image

PS. The Vit is a superb race. Great fun, great company and its all over by Saturday afternoon.
  • Options

Think I'm going to get across the line, fall over, consume a bottle of champers and then Mr TST is going to say 'You're never doing that again!'  image  

Definately won't be an IM in 2012 though, I'm doing the British Gymnastics Veterans Championships that year!  image

Now, 2013 would appear to have a vacant slot for something stupid for me to enter though ............ image

• Options

Sounds like rather than crossing the line, we are going to be expecting you to at least back flip over the line....pretty please? image

After all if it's going to be your 'only one' you might as well finish it with panache! image

• Options
    lol  Not sure I would have enough energy for a back flip, I think I may be able to manage a forward roll or something across the line!  image
  • Options
    Hmph. Well, maybe that'll do, but you'll get more points for something a little more technical y'know? image
  • Options
    Maybe you should do the splits, TST.

So, anyone have any HIM training advice for us HIM virgins?

Also does anyone know how they work the cut offs? I have since seen that us females go off last, 30 mins after the first wave, but supposedly the cut offs are according to the clock time, which is started with the first wave. In which case, I'll never be out of the water in time. Have I misunderstood it *really hoping she has*
  • Options
    DTB, Ultra Cake Pim.p wrote (see)
    Hmph. Well, maybe that'll do, but you'll get more points for something a little more technical y'know? image
    I now have a vision of you stood at the finish line holding up score cards to mark what I do as I come over the finish line! image
    Sarah Guest wrote (see)
    Maybe you should do the splits, TST. So, anyone have any HIM training advice for us HIM virgins? Also does anyone know how they work the cut offs? I have since seen that us females go off last, 30 mins after the first wave, but supposedly the cut offs are according to the clock time, which is started with the first wave. In which case, I'll never be out of the water in time. Have I misunderstood it *really hoping she has*
    I'm practicing the splits Sarah, it's my current 'homework'!  And I hope you have got it wrong or I'm totally screwed too!  I just assumed that we all have different coloured hats and that different stopwatches are started each time a new wave goes off?
  • Options
    TST, I hope so. otherwise surely it isn't far for those starting later.
  • Options
    you're all chip timed so the timing system will be started for your wave when the gun goes - and the cut-offs will reflect that wave and not when the 1st one starts.

fear not - it works!

you will have different coloured hats for each wave but that's purely for recognition and not for timing
  • Options
    Fantastic. Thanks FB. Now I can just worry about making that bike cut off, lol.
  • Options

Funkin is right TST this tri lark is addictive.

My first words after finishing the Vit were "well that proves to me that a Ironman is impossible because I woudn't be able to do twice that distance". I repeated it to all who I spoke to for the next week. A month later I was entered for my first ironman. So beware and never say never.

• Options

Sarah  - I was worried about the cut-offs too but I was fine in the end.  Don't make the mistake I made of going too hard on the bike and being wrecked for the run.  I think the bike cut-off though was from the start of the first wave, which gives us ladies a slight disadvantage, but if you can finish the bike in 4 hours you'll be fine.  I'm a cr@p cyclist and I did the bike in 3:40 so you can do it. 

I needed the granny ring for the ripple though. image

• Options

But don't you only get 3:50 for the bike anyway?  That's not going to be good if we loose half an hour off that as I'm not likely to come out of the water in much less than the cut off time allowed for that I reckon.  image  That's not fair if we loose an extra 30 minutes off the bike time just because we're last image  Or do we loose the 30 minutes because all girlies are such bloody fantastic cyclists and way better than the men image *scuttles off in to the darkest corner rather sharpish*

*whispers*  What's a granny ring?

• Options
    TST, granny ring's the smallest one, on a triple at least.

Thanks Soup Dragon.
  • Options

Edit - sorry, I got it wrong.  The cut off is from the start of the LAST wave.  Phew!  image

• Options

I've only got two rings, so have I got a granny ring?  Or am I just a granny for only having two!! image

Glad you got that wrong SD!!!! image  Means we get the full time then!  And still means the blokes must be slower as they're getting extra time image

• Options

Yeh, thats what I was getting confused over TST.  The blokes have extra time. 

If you've only got 2 rings then you is 'ard.  The small ring on a tripple makes getting up the hills easier. 

• Options
    Soup Dragon washing her socks by night wrote (see)

If you've only got 2 rings then you is 'ard.  The small ring on a tripple makes getting up the hills easier. 

image  Uh oh!!!  Me not 'ard!!  The bloke in the bike shop said I should get a double as I wasn't going to be doing much hill stuff, living in Norfolk.  Should I be panicking now!? image  Or maybe I'll just end up 'ard image
  • Options
    SD, I only have two rings on my new road bike too image I had a triple on my old bike. Having said that I somehow only stayed in the middle chainring the whole time I had it as I could never remember which lever was to go up or down and was scared of changing into the wrong chain ring when going up a hill. Having said that I don't think I went up any really big hills on it. I have a lot to learn about bikes!
  • Options
    Sarah Guest wrote (see)
    Maybe you should do the splits, TST. So, anyone have any HIM training advice for us HIM virgins? Also does anyone know how they work the cut offs? I have since seen that us females go off last, 30 mins after the first wave, but supposedly the cut offs are according to the clock time, which is started with the first wave. In which case, I'll never be out of the water in time. Have I misunderstood it *really hoping she has*

you'll have up to an hour for the swim, if you really need it.....

My missus emerged from the swim in about 50+ minutes.....
    She did not pulled off the bike course, and they let you finish, (even though they were packing up stuff

• Options
    That makes me feel a bit better then, OC. Thanks. I think I will be around that time for the swim too. Depends how much I can improve my technique in the next 9 months, lol. Also hoping a better fitting wetsuit will help me.

Ok, I'm feeling more positive about this. Now I just have to get the training started. Lots of work to be done on my swim and bike image
  • Options

And I was the last but one to finish on the bike (and the last out of T1) but never felt hassled.  They asked one guy to only do one lap I think but even I overtook him and he'd started half an hour before me.  So long as you are making good progress you'll be okay  The marshalls at the last turn point were great and really encouraging.  We will be doing a recce of the course later in the year I'm sure so if you are worried come and join us.  Its fun - honest.  image

• Options
    O.rangeCannon wrote (see)

.......... and they let you finish, (even though they were packing up stuff

And they even hold up the prize giving at the finish line if you time it right.  I did my grand finale just as they were about to start.  image

• Options

I'm feeling a lot less stressed now I know they aren't totally strict on the finish times, although I really want to achieve everything within the cut offs.

Definately up for a reccie round the course next year too image

Still excited and scared at the same time!! 

Have a lovely Crimbo everyone, and don't eat too much chocolate!! image