Options

The Vit 2011

Comments

• Options

wel done everyone some great reading here. Im glad the westher was cooler then we thought.

Quick race report here

Camped the night before and hardly slep, but that is nothing new

getting changed in the morning and i torn my left contact lense and no spare!!. I had spare tubes, goggles, earplugs, co2's etc but no lenses. Took the risk and wore them for the swim. Stayed at the back as loved every minute. My son times my swim at 43 mins, but as soona sI got out the 2nd time I ran straight for my wife who spent nearly 5 mins trying to pull the 3 bits of lense out of my eye. I was helping as you can imagine!

Swim time   47.01

T1 is bad enough trying to get wetsuit off but I had to get other lense out and it just would not happen as had perscription sunnies..

T1 time 5.17

BIke loved it, but had a mechanical where as i could not get into my big ring so had to pull over and make some adjustments. Saffers if I would have known you I could have helped out as we were both in the same boat or bike!!

Just missed it were a woman slowed up too qucikly and a bloke in front of me fell off on that long steady hill. All of a sudden there were about 10 bikes and no where to go.

Bike  2.54.17

T2  2.02

Run  No issues

Run 1.53

Felt great all the way

Total time

4hr 42

This will be going down!

I am not going to beat myself up over the issues as it was my first and I will stick at this distance until the full ironman next year. Cycled to work today and swimming tonight

I saw a few pirates, but never knew who you were. Was good talking to you all, sorry I crept in too late. I hope you all recover well, dont loose what you have done, keep training.

Saw a lady who had number 1 on her back cycling and said hello, she was doing well, smiling away!

Got my next tri in Brighton in 2 weeks time

take care everyone

• Options
    Soup Dragon wrote (see)
    TST - you did more of the race than I did and I got the same medal and t-shirt. If you'd set off on the swim at the time as me you would have finished it all. 

Hadn't thought about it that way Soups!  And it is a bit gutting that I could have finished it if I'd had the extra head start, so to speak.  Mr TST's really pee'd off about it and doesn't understand why the people that are likely to be the slowest get to set off last (I don't want to cause an argument about stronger sex and stuff, but men are generally faster than women).  I don't understand it either, but it seems to just be the way it's done.

Little Sister wrote (see)

Photos are up!!

Lovely picture of my bum there!!  At least there is one though, Mr TST didn't manage to get one of me on the bike.  Well not a moving one anyway!

Meant to say earlier that it was lovely to meet everyone on Friday night and on the day.  It was nice to be around friendly people the night before, even though we didn't get to spend that much time with you after setting the tent up and eating.   Maybe I'll get to be a pirate one day! image

• Options

T2 - 4.32  Desperate for a pee and would you adam and eve it......a bliddy queue...LOL  That cost me two mins but really don't think I could pee on the bike.

Now off for the worst bit of this.  I have had an injury for nearly two years, shin splints but with the fab help of my mentor, Plumster, he helped me get back to this running malarkey.  Made sure I put on those compression guards and set off.  The run was just going to be a case of plodding along and to keep the legs moving.  I have run 9 miles in training so knew I could do this.  The plan was to run for as long as I could and then walk run or basically just do whatever it took to finish.  The first few steps of the run and my left foot was hurting.  Never had any foot issues so was a little miffed to start but then remembered that as I got into the swim for the second lap I stood on a rock.  Grrrrrrr . I managed to run the first loop in 1.05 which I was amazed at.  Again, great support from the other Pirates running and some high 5 ing going on.  Every single Pirate supported as they passed.  The marshalls along the route also gave a shout out as I passed and had a little banter.  This really helped to keep my spirits up as I was feeling it big time now and wanted it to finish.  I had a couple of gels with me which I used, didn't try the banana's but stuck with gels and water.  Had the odd little chit chat with Holly, caught her up a couple of times on the first loop only when she walked but her running pace was speedier than mine and I could see her pulling ahead further and further.  Loved the fact that it was out and back and could see my speedy tri pals on the run as they passed and high 5 my training buddy and check he was doing ok.  That running thing is mind over matter for me and I was breaking it down in my head to little runs, it helps get me through it....LOL.  Slowed right down on that second loop, had to take some walking breaks but then struggled to pick up the pace again.  Soooo relieved to hit that last turn around and head in for the last little bit.  At 11 miles, I could have started crying, everything was hurting and could feel cramping in my calf.  At 11.26 miles I checked my overall time and waved goodbye to a new bike.  Hubby had said that if I did the race in 6 hours, then a new bike was mine....the bugger knew I couldn't manage that one....LOL.  That last little effort was a big struggle but running up to the finish line, hearing my name over that tanoy and the words YOU ARE A VITRUVIAN, makes it soooo bliddy worth the pain.

Run - 2.17.01

Overall - 6.19.47   Chuffed to blinking bits with that.

A mahoosive thanks for all the Pirates out there supporting on Saturday and to those of you racing and your encouraging comments.  Thanks to all of you who post such great advice on the threads.  I have learnt so much from you lot and am loving this tri malarkey.

• Options

TST - likely to be a safety thing - if you set the slowest off first, the fastest will catch them on the bike, and cause a lot more congestion - too much overtaking on the bike and cyclists bunching all at once in traffic on fast moving roads..... but that's why they time the cut-off from the last wave, so that no-one gets less than the 8 hours.

• Options

Sorry if I've caused controversy. image

I suppose the only "fair" option is for anyone who is over 8 hours in total at the final result gets a DQ?  Or just accept that life isn't always fair I suppose.

• Options

SP, you can cut me in two any day.  Great race report....yours always make me chuckle in parts. image

Bones, glad you got yours sorted.  I obviously didn't have a clue how to make alterations to fix mine but just thankfully that it eventually behaved itself.image  No1 was Schmunkee.

Loving reading the race reports.

• Options
    Lovely reports, fab Pirating you guys!! image
  • Options
    I forgot to say that once finished and medal on, started to well up.  I don't do the crying thing as a rule but by the time I got to hubby I was sobbing near on hysterical. image  It's  tad emotional this racing stuff. image 
  • Options

Day before was sh*te, 2.5 hour journey turned into 6 hours as we got stuck behind incidents on 3 separate motorways / A roads. Sat stationary on the A1for 2 hours needing a pee whilst being dehydrated is not great race prep.

Arriving at the cafe for dinner to hear that they have no pasta and no potatoes isn't ideal. Ordering a ham baguette and then waiting months for it to turn up, only to discover that the sandwich maker has left tuna covered fingerprints on it when one is allergic to seafood is even less ideal.

Bashing finger on bike causing the joint to swell and stiffen isn't perfect.

But anyway, it was never going to be a 'race' just a long training day, and having done 5 mtb rides and 5 road rides since mid July 2010 meant I knew a pb wasn't going to happen. Not with having had 7 months off swimming as well, and gained a stone (laziness, oops).

Anwyay, swim was ok, 10 mins slower than pb, but not traumatic. Highlight was hearing the announcer call as I went up to T1 'A pirate who knows how to take her wetsuit off, first time today!'

Bike: Pretty much as expected, steady but didn't enjoy the wind on the 2nd loop, and didn't really see anyone til 40 miles in, when I suddenly caught 8 or 9 people who were slowing a lot.

Run: Had been looking forward to it, but both quads cramped on the first downhill. Walked a lot of the first mile, stopping to massage and stretch, and eat 2 salt tablets, a painkiller and a gel. Eventually it eased off, but I had to do some wakling and stretching every mile. So a crap run, but enjoyed banter with the lovely marshals and feed station crew who were all ace, nice chat with various Pirates, and the highlight was HH giving me his packet of hula hoops, which I picnicked on for the 2nd loop, and helped the cramping enough to be able to run into the finish.

Total time: 6.53 Not a PW, which is surprising!

And I got another nice comment on the tannoy: 'A pirate, finishing with a smile on her face, as a pirate should'. Which, given my lack of preparation, was a decent enough outcome. Lovely weekend with friends was the real goal, and that was definitely achieved. image

It went as well as I could have expected given that I have had a year off, so I'm neither pleased nor disappointed, just feel neutral about it, it's a marker for where I'm at now, and I guess I ought to start doing some training soon, and shift that extra stone, cos I can really see it in the photos!  image

• Options
    Great race reports guys. Great Pirating!
  • Options

Ah lovely Ditchy, well done!

Lovley pics there Li'l Sis image

• Options
    Bones1 wrote (see)

Saw a lady who had number 1 on her back cycling and said hello, she was doing well, smiling away!

That was me!
  • Options

Great to meet old friends and new and had a fantastic weekend.  Bike report will follow tomorrow but am pleased to say I did the bike course and finished in a far better state than I ever imagined.

• Options

Great weekend as usual when the pirates are out in force.

This was originally going to be my A race for the year.  Knackered my left knee at VLM then re-aggravated the injury just as it was almost recovered meant that I couldn't run at all from April to mid July. Then went right back to basics with a walk/run programme which has taken me to 3 miles distance, with a maximum of one mile running without a walk break prior to this weekend.  Hadn't done a huge amount of cycling either, partly cos of the knee, partly cos I'm a lazy fecker image  Swimming had been fine though; done quite a lot of that but then, swimming is the bit I find easist anyway.  Going into the event, the plan was to hopefully make it around the bike course within the cut-off, see how the knee was feeling and, if all was well, walk the run.

Journey up was not the most relaxing, as reported by others.  At one stage I did consider turning round and going home again.  Then I thought that wouldn't really be fair on Ditchy and Hairy Half whose bikes I had in my car.

Eventually got there, found the pirate encampment, registered, faffed, racked bike then went to eat to discover, as reported by Ditchy, that cafe had long run out of everything except baguettes.  image

On the plus side, it was a beautiful warm, still evening and the night sky was cloud free allowing a fantastically clear view of the milky way.

• Options
    TST sorry but I realised it was you too late to get a photo from any other angle!! image
  • Options
    Just home from a cracking weekend in Rutland where I also enjoyed an attempt at long distance multi-sport.  There are some cracking race reports so I shant muddle mine up with them.  Suffice to say, other than the stifling chill on bike lap one, I enjoyed every moment of this race managing to bag a PB HM in the process and crossing the line in 05:29:46 but not before offering every pirate word (booming shout) of encouragement, "arrrrr" or suitably timed comment as they were spotted (mostly on the run).  For those of you belonging to the PSOF ... I was the 6' 4" fella with atomic orange Oakleys smiling way too much for someone who'd been exercising for the best part of half a waking day.  I'll definitely be back to go faster next year.

A massive congratulaions to all others who can also lay claim to being a Vitruvian!

Rw
  • Options

Race morning dawned sometime after we'd all woken up and had breakfast.  Notice a hint of pink in the sky as it lightened but didn't pay it much heed.  It was warm(ish) and dry and looked like it was going to be a lovely day.

Swim: 43:19
    Awful. Don't know why. It was a little bouncy but I mostly managed to be in clearish water.  It just felt like I was swimming like a blue rinse breast-stroker. Only good bit about it was that I didn't go off course as much as usual.  Out of the water and, what, where'd the blue sky go? Wall to wall grey clouds. 

T1: bit slow at 7:10

Bike:  3:42:03
    Started out a bit breezy and slight drizzle which fortunately didn't last long.  First lap was pretty mediocre - totally lacking in energy despite regular gel/food and liquid intake.  Grannied my way through the ripple - thanks to Barley for encouraging words at the top - enjoyed the downhill bit, span the rest.  Grimaced at Little Sister in Ketton (I think).  Lap 2 was a felt better.  Seemed to finally find a little bit of oomph and get into a better rhythm.  Oddly, despite being less bike fit than when I did Vit in 2009, I enjoyed the bike more this time around.  Best bits, no knee pain at all and discovering how to wee on the bike image

T2: wasted a minute or so moving inconsiderately racked bike out of my space - 4:50

Run:3:03:03
    No knee pain off the bike meant trying plan A - 1 min run/1 min walk for first leg, walk second and third  legs, possibly run/walk the final leg.  All went according to plan.  Stuck to 1:1 out to the church (40ish mins), walked back, then out again concentrating on maintaining at least 15m/m, final turn around and tried to run but legs weren't interested.  Walked to the dam with another lady (and achieved a 14.30m/m pace!)  She then started to run again.  About half way across the dam I decided to try to run again and this time it worked.  Back to 1:1 for the last couple of miles except on the last minor up flat then ran past the pirate massive who'd been waiting for hours - thanks guys - and on to the finish, not only the last pirate but, according to the announcer, the last to finish. Go me!!

Overall:  7:40:25  Very happy with the result, all things considered.

• Options

Was slightly alarmed to be 'interviewed' by a camcorder wielding race crew member after I crossed the line.  Hope that doesn't get broadcast anywhere! 

Looking at results they have 3 people finishing behind me.  Means that although I was last, I wasn't slowest image

Pirate support on and off the course was great as expected.  Saw who I know now to be Madge at least three times while on the bike course and she was on the dam on the run as well.  Top supporting Madge.

A great example of what a great bunch of people triathletes are generally, post finish I paused by the massage area.  Exchanged small talk with the parents and partener of a lady getting a massage and they asked if I'd just finished and was waiting for a massage. I said something along the lines of 'yes just finished but no, my purse is back in the car' and the next thing I knew, they were pressing £5 into my hand and not taking no for an answer.  It seems that their daughter had mentioned a walking pirate who'd given words of encouragement each time we'd passed which had, apparently, kept her going.  What nice people.

• Options

Trogs - Me and schmunks were the absolute last when I looked

Lovely story about the massage. image

• Options

Evening all.

Fab reports so far. Mix of up and downs for people, but overall it seems that it was a good day.

I didn't enter until June/July as wasn't really confident as I haven't done much specific training, but after a 21 mile run (which included 7 pubs - unofficial running of the Devon Pub Run for anyone who remembers it) a few weeks ago I decided to come and give it a go.

Jouney up wasn't great obviously - but I'd left work early and managed to hear about the A1 and took a country road detour up. Slow but moving and I arrived about 6pm.

Pitched my tent & found a bunch of Pirate ladies heading down to the Harbour cafe. Had a nice chit-chat then headed to the camp for a bit. When Barley used a half full bottle of wine as a mallet I decided to call it a night!

Camping was ok - except for the squeking gate at the field entrance. But I think I've tweeted enough about this so will say no more on this.

Alarm went off at 5am and I sat there in a daze for 10 minutes before I could get up.

Joined the Pirate gathering at the start for general wibbling, pee-taking, etc.

Swim: 46:20 Rubbish! My swimming isn't great, but I really struggled with the waves. Hey ho.

T1: 4:17 Outfit issues, socks, general faffing.

Bike: 3hrs 47 secs I've done quite a bit of biking this year & have been biking much better so a little peeved. Would have liked to be under 3 hours. Fast men flying by on the first lap and lonely on the second.

• Options

Aw Trogs that's lovely of them. Was so pleased to see you each lap and knowing that the leg must be holding out!

Tentingham Palace has been a fecking mission to dry out but we are nearly there. Just got to hope the neighbours don't look up and wonder why the hallway is sooooo dark, and why it looks like a parachute has landed all over the top floor landing.... should be dry by morning! image

• Options

T2: 3:01 Trying to avoid heading out

Run: 2hrs 53 sec Run was basically Pirate spotting image Loads of you I didn't know and lots I couldn't remember the name of. So apologies to any of you I know who I called 'mate'! Saw Waff at most of the turn-around points but she kept clearly ahead of me.
    Felt pretty good on the run and keep going at a steady plod.
    Chucked my manky, sweaty Buff at Aitch and the other Pirate ladies. Sorry image

Finish: Knew from about 3 miles to go that I'd probably be able to break 6 hours. Great cheer from the Pirates and crossed to find Waff getting her medal etc.

Really pleased I dragged myself up there. I had a good race & great day - mainly thanks to the company & support. When I go get to an event with you all it reminds me what at great bunch you are ***gush***

Sorry I missed the Saturday party camp, or should that be camp party...... but really was pleased to get home to my bath and bed.

Thanks again, hope to see you all again soon.

Mitts x

• Options
    top pirating!

I like being part of something where we are congratulated for being able to take a wet suit off!

Lots of grins / grimaces in the pics - good stuff little sis.

Saffers - Glad you got around, despite plums assistance

Great reports all....

• Options
    Hi mitts. Lovely to see you too. Glad you had a good day.
  • Options

Great racing and reporting everyone.  Loving the announcer comments image

TST, you know what to expect next tme so you'll nail it

• Options

Morning all

Brief report follows

Training has been very hit and miss for what was my A race but these things happen

Journey up was entertaining, my driver and room mate decided to zigzag through several counties before we finally arrived at Rutland! One of our band of merry men also arrived extremly late resulting in dinner being eaten at 10pm!! He then advised that he had pitched his tent inside out!

Swim

Lake looked very low and the 2 foot of goose poo and silt at the entrance to the water was not too pleasant. Set off wide to stay out of the washing machine and got into a good rythmn. No dramas until the wind got up on the second lap making it feel like a sea swim!

35.18 (3 mins quicker than 2007)

Bike

T1 was slow as usual not helped by dropping all my gels in transition! I never felt really comfortable on the bike, but my avg speed was good, and I knew I could get a reasonable time. Saw the coach at the top of the ripple. Rest of the bike went quite well, but i had forgotten that the ripple is effectively 3 hills, and not the 2  I had stored in my memory. Lots of very expensive carbon bling on the course (If I win the lottery!)

2.42 ( 6 mins quicker than 2007)

Run

Running a half marathon when you have not run more than a 10 mile long run all year is not really advisable, but I thought I'd see what would happen. First 10k was quick (for me) 54 mins, but then I started to struggle. Fortunately I was seeing plenty of pirates and getting some good support. I ran with my room mate for the last lap which was really handy as he was going nice and staedy on his first lap

2.00 (3 mins slower than 2007)

Total 5:25:01 PB by over 5 minutes!!!!!

I haven't posted much this year following Outlaw last year as I have been struggling with motivation,  a huge workload, and quite a serious self inflicted health scare, but it is always great to turn up at these events and see so many pirates having such a great time. The support alone is always worth months of training on its own. You guys really are a pleasure to be part of. Next year is a rest year from Tri for me, but I am going to try my best to get out and return some of the support many of you give each weekend.

Hess.

• Options
    I had the pleasure of marshalling on Saturday and I must say, the pirates all had smiles on their faces when they came to my little hill on the run, even those that were in pain.......... and there was some pain! Well done to all of you who took part and I look forward to racing with you at next years Vit - the party on the saturday night seems to be where its at!
  • Options
    Hi Borka, thanks for your support.  Were you the marshal on that nasty little hill on the last bend before the finishing straight?   I was the walking pirate at the back of the field who you kept trying to get to run every time I passed image
  • Options
    Yep - that was me......... I tried to get everyone to run, particularly those on their last lap. Many did, some did not and nearly everyone was kind enough to not swear at me!
  • Options

Small report from me. Had done no training since Ely 2 weeks ago due to a mahhooosive workload and a serious amount of stress that was quite intense tbh. Only decided Friday afternoon to do this and went up Friday night to register and see everyone. Was nice to have a chat with a few folks.

This was just a large brick session for me as was Ely both in prep for my Ironman later this year. Swim was what I expected around 45 mins. Steady T1 about 7 mins while I sorted myself out so happy with that.

Really enjoyed the bike, was great to see Barley top of Preston hill and the knitting club sign upside down did make me laugh. On the 2nd lap at the 3rd hill in the ripple we got to the bottom of the hill and had to come to almost a standstill as the van wouldnt overtake the cyclists going up the hill so lost all our momentum to help get up other side. There was alot of cursing from me and 3 or 4 others on the bike!

Did the bike in a tad over 3 hrs so pleased with that just a steady 13 miler to the finish. Set of at my Ironman pace all going nicely, got to the church and turned around and seemed to have a niggle top of my thigh which was a little tight but a couple of stretches helped..no dramas really so ok to carry on with.

Started to feel a tad ropey at halfway but nothing to bad. Got to about halfway across the dam on the 2nd lap and starting retching. The kind of retching that you know your going to be sick but you dont want to be sick but in the end was sick anyway. It was at this point that I had planned to take one of my Gels image so decided to bite the bullet and take it ergghhhhhhhhhhhh that was gross but I knew I needed some energy, but after that just kept retching. Had my water bottle with me so drank plenty of water but the retching continued pretty much to the end and I also took 2 more gels...

Time was about 6hrs 50 or something like that but it was also a finish so Ill take that. Really felt like turning it in on the dam but thought well Im only being sick and retching, felt very uncomfortable but nothing worse so keep moving forward.

Was great to see everyone all over the course and wanted to come and see people at the end but felt shit so went home and promptly fell asleep on the couch.

Great reading everyone elses reports and very well done to the pb'ers and everyone that finished. Nice to see people again as well image