Options

Turbo trianer

I fancy trying my first triathlon next summer. I have been running awhile and a very average swimmer, so would do a low key race. I am finding it hard to fit in cycling around work/kids so am considering using a turbo trainer .is this any good for building up cycling fitness?i can imagine its not the most interesting way to train but would 20-30 mins 2-3x aweek help prepare for spring training?

Comments

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Yes, a turbo will help with cycling fitness.

No, it's not the most interesting way to train but it's better than nothing if the weather's foul. I find I can do about 1 CD before I get too bored. Pick something with a variety of tempos and then ride to the music - high gears, slow cadence for the slow ones, lower gear, spinny cadence for the faster numbers.

Depending on where you do it, you can get pretty hot and sweaty so put a fan in front of the bike and a towel under it.

• Options
    I'm a big fan of training DVDs if I'm using the turbo.  Otherwise I get bored and go off to do something else.  Look for Spinerval DVDs.
  • Options

Apart from bike handling skills I think it gives a bigger bang for the buck than road training. No downhills, up hills on tap, no traffic lights, roundabouts or other distractions: just pain.

Either Spinerval DVDs or TACX have some workouts that can be printed from their website.

• Options

If you are an absolute beginner than anything is going to give you a reasonable improvement so yes 20-30 minutes is worth doing.   It's not a good way to go about it but if that's the time you have available then make the most of it.   

If you could stretch a session to 35-40 minutes a decent warm up will help you sustain a decent effort for 20 minutes and give you 5 minutes to cool down at the end.   My choice would be a consistent hard effort at a cadence of 80-100 for now.

Be aware you will sweat lots (if you are working hard) on a turbo and the sweat will ruin your bike much faster than you might expect so wrap a towel around the headset and give the whole bike a good wipe down afterwards.  

• Options
    MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭
    thanks for the advice.i'm looking forward to trying this out-with towel at hand. the DVDs are new to me but I'v checked them out on the net and look like something to consider if i get into it.will also reload ipod with better music. thanks again
  • Options

If you get bored with just ploughing through it visit the TACX website and they have loads of training sessions that you can do with your own music.

I have a few Spinervals now but started with the low tech printed TACX schedules and I sitll use them if I don't want to listen to Coach Troy's music.

meface

• Options

I have a few Spinervals dvd's that I think are good.

Tough Love is 3hrs long !

and

Hardcore 100 is over 5hrs of turbo'ing (3 dvd's)