Options

Painful knee

For the last month i have had incredible pain at the side of my right knee.  It begins about 3 or 4 miles in to a run. 

i am guess it is the IT band so what exercises are there?  How long does this type of this last?

Seeing physio next Friday so that is something

Thanks for your advise

Comments

• Options

I have a similar problem - painful knee which starts about a mile in and then causes me to hobble afterwards. Rest + physio exercises have helped but even 8 weeks later I'm not completely fixed (and that's without any running at all). I was just about pain free a few days ago but walking in the snow has aggravated it.

There are lots of stretches/excercises on the web which are supposed to help, but personally I'd wait till you see the physio to get a confirmed diagnosis + proper treatment plan - it's easy to misdiagnose and make things worse. Even if you're correct + its the it band then it will have different causes - mine is poor glutes and tight hamstrings which seems fairly common.

If it is ITB it's rarely a quick fix so waiting a week and half for the physio won't make much of a difference. Hope you cope with the lack of running better than me - it's driving me nuts image

• Options

Just run into work due to snow and had no choice, quicker than walking 10k.

will have to start doing some exercises.  i do not have the patience to not run!  Drives me potty